March 26th, 2008

Poll: Democrats ready to defect to McCain

A new poll suggests many Clinton supporters may back McCain.
A new poll suggests many Clinton supporters may back McCain.

(CNN) - A sizable number of Hillary Clinton supporters may break ranks to back John McCain in November should Barack Obama capture the Democratic nomination, a new Gallup poll suggests.

According to the just-released poll, 28 percent of Clinton's supporters would back McCain should the New York senator lose her quest for the Democratic nomination.

That compares to the 19 percent of Obama supporters who say they will favor McCain should Clinton be the party’s nominee.

"[The results] suggest that some Clinton supporters are so strongly opposed to Obama (or so loyal to Clinton) that they would go so far as to vote the "other" party's candidate next November if Obama is the Democratic nominee," Frank Newport of Gallup said of the survey's findings.

Newport also noted that the poll's results are likely the result of the heated battle for the nomination, and the number of the party’s defectors to McCain is likely to decrease after Democrats choose a nominee and the focus shifts to defeating the Arizona senator.

The poll was conducted March 7-22 and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Hopeful for Hillary

March 26, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. Nobillary Andobama

The "surge" in Iraq succeeded....and so will this "surge" of moderate Dems who can see through the grossly inexperience and mostly superficial Barack Obama.

"HOPE" is not a method....only a nice sound bite!

March 26, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. Brenda Elizabeth Waters

It beggers belief! Are you a Democrat or not??????????????

March 26, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. James

Dear Hillary, Thanks for dragging Future Nominee Obama down into the mud so far that he and the Democratic Party won't be able to get up.

March 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. ryan

that is ridiculous. hillary is a terrible candidate and would be a terrible president. good riddance.

obama 08

March 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  6. Milton, Harrisburg, PA

Is that 28% that would vote for McCain the same 28% that are republicans that voted for Hillary in the first place just to prolong the DNC's agony?

March 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  7. PJ

I think that 28% figure is much too low. John Mccain will be are next president if Obama gets the nomination.

March 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Hey genius, it is THIS NOVEMBER NOT NEXT NOVEMBER!

March 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  9. Sandi

Switch, come on, just another lie and fear tactic...the Clinton paradigm.

March 26, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. John

We voted George Bush – twice! and look at what has happened. Let's not make the same mistake again by voting for Hillary "more-of-the-same" Clinton. American Citizens, please vote for Barrack Obama – our future depends on it.

March 26, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  11. James C

Hey genius, it is THIS NOVEMBER NOT NEXT NOVEMBER! If they show up to vote Next November then they blew their shot entirely in the Presidential bid. Does anyone check this ticker?

March 26, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  12. Patrick Era

Such ridiculous polls should be disregarded – it is a bid to influence/steal the nomination for the Clintons. What they cannot get through the front door, they pursue through the back door. That is the Clintons for you!!!

March 26, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  13. waggs

so lets get this straight;;; so she can then run again in 2012?!
    real team player,this lying scum. I vow to switch parties if this is the case.I will wash my hands eternally from the Dem party .

March 26, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  14. Debby

I am voting for experience and the two "Typical White Persons" running have that.

March 26, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. Scott, British Columbia, Canada

How does this make any sense?!? Who did they poll? 6 graders?!?

So, these people are saying "if the candidate that I want doesn't win the Democratic Nominee then I will vote for someone that has the complete opposite views of my original choice."

Real smart...and really effective...

March 26, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  16. LeftCoast Tim

Racism is alive and well in America. Can you imagine after 8 years of Bush a Democrat making an utterly moronic statement like that?

There is little hope for the people of this country and this poll proves that.

March 26, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  17. Dawn in Florida

I will not vote for McCain regardless of who is the democratic nominee is. I cannot afford another 4 years of Bush. NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

March 26, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  18. California Voter

I too would vote for McCain if Obama is the democratic candidate. I cannot with good conscience vote for someone who has belonged for 20 years to a church that is afrocentric and racists. We need a President that is loyal to this country to unify it. We need a President that has the judgment to leave a church that calls for a non-negotiable commitment to Africa. Oprah left, why didn't Obama?????

GO HILLARY!

March 26, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  19. tls

I agree with Matthew. I wish Obama had waited. For all those people who believe experience is important, most of Hillary's supporters, Obama will not cut it in November. Unfortunately, Mccain will easy take the presidency. I hope the superdelegates are paying attention.

March 26, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  20. A

PLEDGED DELEGATES IS MY DECIDING FACTOR.

March 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  21. CClaudia

Yup and I am one of those voters. I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA and neither is my family. I do not want to vote for MCCain so I will probably vote independant along with my other siblings but Obama, never.

March 26, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  22. Mike Jones

What does it matter in March. If this poll was in late October then it would be a problem for Obama. Anyone investigate the story that Bill Clinton has attended Rev. Wright's church yet? Wolf Blizer or Anderson Cooper, you guys need to get on this.

March 26, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  23. chris

wow i guess its cool to delete my post just cuase they arent for demecrats fighting it out genious cnn

March 26, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  24. Mary

I don't vote for the Party, I vote for the person.

I will never ever vote for another Clinton, especially one who can not tell the truth. I can not in good faith vote for someone so untrustworthy.

March 26, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  25. kenni in n.c. - can't wait to vote

Someone bring me the popcorn, my cigarettes and a soda. This is better than a soap opera.

I personally have not decided on which dem candidate I will support when its N.C.'s turn. But . . . I bet the Republicans are loving this one. You may be paying $9.00 for gas just like the Europeans when McCain gets into office.

March 26, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |