March 26th, 2008

Poll: Democrats ready to defect to McCain

A new poll suggests many Clinton supporters may back McCain.
A new poll suggests many Clinton supporters may back McCain.

(CNN) - A sizable number of Hillary Clinton supporters may break ranks to back John McCain in November should Barack Obama capture the Democratic nomination, a new Gallup poll suggests.

According to the just-released poll, 28 percent of Clinton's supporters would back McCain should the New York senator lose her quest for the Democratic nomination.

That compares to the 19 percent of Obama supporters who say they will favor McCain should Clinton be the party’s nominee.

"[The results] suggest that some Clinton supporters are so strongly opposed to Obama (or so loyal to Clinton) that they would go so far as to vote the "other" party's candidate next November if Obama is the Democratic nominee," Frank Newport of Gallup said of the survey's findings.

Newport also noted that the poll's results are likely the result of the heated battle for the nomination, and the number of the party’s defectors to McCain is likely to decrease after Democrats choose a nominee and the focus shifts to defeating the Arizona senator.

The poll was conducted March 7-22 and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Common Sense

Oh, wait. Who's dividing the party again? Yea, HRC. Thought so. Thanks CNN.

March 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  2. Alice in Florida

I am one of those Democrats who will vote for McCain if Obama gets the nomination. There is no way I can vote for Obama – he is a racist liar.

March 26, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. Patricia

Too bad they didn't poll me. As an Obama supporter and a believer in integrity and honesty, I will be voting for McCain if my candidate doesn't get the nomination. I started out as an equal opportunity voter, until I saw Clinton demonstrate her true character over and over again. Never will I vote for a candidate without morals.

March 26, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  4. maya

Judge by what Hillary has DONE- not by why you THINK she did something.!!!! Sick of the petty baseless comments!!! (By media pundits and posters alike)

March 26, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  5. Jackson

Hillary is trying to sabotage the Democratic ticket this year so that she can run again in 4 years. It's all about her and not at all about us.

March 26, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  6. Rom,NY

Another reason to wrap up this thing by the beginning of June when all primaries/caucus are finished
    Super delegates WAKE UP

March 26, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  7. Amy in Iowa

What Clinton supporters? Hillary can hardly fill her rallies and town hall meetings. The fear is that the Obama supporters will refuse to vote for Hillary if she is voted. That is the major concern. And I am one who refuses to vote for Hillary. So if she steals this nomination, I am sure McCain will win.

March 26, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  8. Anonymous

i am studying how to protest what has happened this election. i have felt that we the citizens should have aright to chose the candidate. ifeel we have been fed thru the media a candidate picked by the press. this experience has given me such hatred for this man. who the hell is he? i have no desire to vote for him. if he does become the candidate my democratic family vote for maturity tha means hillary or mcain. get rid of tha mouth. deef

March 26, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  9. Kareem from Hampton VA

I dont care HOW MUCH you dont like the nominee if you switch parties over it the problem isnt the nominee!! NOBODY Is bad enough to make me wanna vote for a 3rd term of Bush! Sorry!! Both candidates need to address this problem and they need to address it fast!

March 26, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  10. John, Pittsburgh

That just means that 28% of Clinton supporters are clueless about what is going on in the world.

March 26, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  11. Katrina

Right-and I will probably vote for Nader if Clinton pulls some dirty maneuver to steal the nomination from Obama-because that is the ONLY way she will win, by fighting dirty. In that case...I will be too ashamed to vote Democratic.

March 26, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  12. Tonya Campbell in Virginia

I just want to say this is very very sad to have to read!! You mean to tell me Americans are that hateful over race that they will pick from the other side!! I am very very sad this is what the great old USA has become to keep fighting on and on at each other.. I pray for Obama every night cause alot of people is looking for his down fall, All my supporters of him stick together to stop this madness and don't ever turn your back on him.. I will never vote for the other side Even if Mrs. Clinton got it!!! Please post this you never let Virginia people share they views!!

March 26, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  13. Niky

This is sad. Instead of putting such 'selfish' feelings aside and unite to put a democrat in office, people want to live the same life as the last 7 years. What a shame...

March 26, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. Duane Minch

This is so true if Clinton somehow steals the nomination...I will vote for McCain or stay home. She should leave for the good of the party.

March 26, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  15. Joe St Louis, MO

Please STOP

March 26, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  16. Alex from IL

Well, this is what you are doing to the party Hillary. STOP IT.

March 26, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  17. Cammi317

So basically 28% of Hillary's supporters would rather have our troops stay in Iraq for the next 100 years and elect a man that says he does not understand the economic system than vote for the Democrat that wins the party nomination. Sound right to you?

March 26, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  18. Another Typical White Woman

I would have voted for Obama, before Wright and the speech thereafter. However, if Clinton is not the nominee, I will not vote for Obama. I can not see progress and change from a man who has supported a church that propagates hatred.

I will vote independent or not vote at all.

March 26, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  19. trisha2

also one of those hillary supporters who would back mccain. so much for obama's pretentious and presumptuous statement that his supporters won't back hillary, but hillary's supporters would back him.

March 26, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  20. Obama or bust

I will vote McCain over Clinton too. If Obama does not run I will help give America just what it wants. I will survive no matter who is in and my kids will not go to that war, so I will be ok but what about yours. Will you stand by and watch McCain send your kids off to DIE. After all they are just numbers. So hold on tight America because Mc is going to take you for the ride of your life.
    Obama or bust

March 26, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  21. Hill Yes

You got that right...No way will I ever vote for Obama. If he wants to label me as a 'typical white person' then he is not the change that I seek.

Hillary, McCain, Nader, or anyone but Obama, '08

March 26, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  22. Wynter (NH)

It goes to show you who REALLY pulls more independents and republicans from the other side. Obama claims to be all things to all people but when it comes down to it he fails the test in this poll.

Go Hillary!

March 26, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. @americans

this is one lifelong democrat who will sit at home and will NEVER, EVER vote for Hillary Clinton and watch Billary get trounced by McBush in the general election if she cheats Obama out of the nomination!

OBAMA '08 – PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!

March 26, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  24. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Obama supporters will not vote for Hillary if she is the nominee therefore forfeiting to John McCain. Hillary has damaged the democrat party and the next election I along with many other voters will change to the independent party.

March 26, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  25. Erik

As usual, the Democrats begin eating their young. . .

March 26, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |