March 26th, 2008

Poll: Democrats ready to defect to McCain

A new poll suggests many Clinton supporters may back McCain.
A new poll suggests many Clinton supporters may back McCain.

(CNN) - A sizable number of Hillary Clinton supporters may break ranks to back John McCain in November should Barack Obama capture the Democratic nomination, a new Gallup poll suggests.

According to the just-released poll, 28 percent of Clinton's supporters would back McCain should the New York senator lose her quest for the Democratic nomination.

That compares to the 19 percent of Obama supporters who say they will favor McCain should Clinton be the party’s nominee.

"[The results] suggest that some Clinton supporters are so strongly opposed to Obama (or so loyal to Clinton) that they would go so far as to vote the "other" party's candidate next November if Obama is the Democratic nominee," Frank Newport of Gallup said of the survey's findings.

Newport also noted that the poll's results are likely the result of the heated battle for the nomination, and the number of the party’s defectors to McCain is likely to decrease after Democrats choose a nominee and the focus shifts to defeating the Arizona senator.

The poll was conducted March 7-22 and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. joe

I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND DISAPPOINTED WITH OBAMA

SILENCE IN FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN...HIS ACTION SPEAK

LOUDER THAN HIS WORDS..."THIS IS NOT RED STATES OR BLUE

STATES...ITS THE "UNITED" STATES

BY KEEPING SILENT IN FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN (EVEN AFTER

DNC SAID YES TO REVOTE)

I WILL NOW VOTE MCCAIN...FIRST TIME REPBULICAN IN 53 YEARS

March 26, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. therealist

Hillary will bow out in August, 'for the good of the party'...

Of course that will be after she has destroyed Obama's chances to win but just before destroying her own chances to run again in 2012.

March 26, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  3. JA Cook

This Democrat will NEVER support Clinton. She has done so much damage to the party in defense of her perceived birthright. She is out for no one but herself.

March 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  4. Tom

IDIOTS.

March 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. Darth Vadik, CA

Well,
    this is inaccurate, both sides now feel like if their candidate doesn't win the'll stay out or vote for McCain, but it wont happen, at least not in the poll numbers. We'll kiss and make up, why you say, we're Democrats, we forgive. Plus McCain is the weakest candidate the Republicans have had in half a century.

Don't get your hopes up McCain, ta ta.

March 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  6. Aaron

I guess my comment was too accurate and not inflammitory enough for you to post it. Thanks CNN for keeping this idiotic war going...

March 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  7. d

I am retired and so irritated with the media's and Obama's negative comments to Hilliary's campaign. I would switch to Mr. McCain first before staying committed to a democratic candidate named Obama. She has been put through the wringer whereas Obama floats above the earth...

Go Hilliary for President !!

March 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. Kiki

This latest poll reflects the feelings and determination of many democrats. Obama can not be elected. McCain will defeat Obama by a landslide in a general election.

March 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  9. Steve, NYC, NY

How can "it was a bone-headed move' or 'just words' or 'ya I inhaled, that was the point (lie)' lead a country? Does he even know where Canada or Mexico is?

March 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  10. Shysuz

Please, people, vote for the person who will nominate judges with your values. If you choose McCain over Obama (or over Clinton) you will get conservative judges who will far outlast whoever is president.

March 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  11. kevin from alaska

Here's what I suggest if McCain wins the presidency because of Democrats that jumped ship on the party:

When McCain starts up the draft again I want all the Dems that voted for him to get drafted first.

March 26, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. Jack Robertson

This is no great surprise. Clinton and McCain are cut from the same bolt of cloth.

March 26, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. Gerry

Theres a long time between now and November. Theres also a lot of CLinton vettting to be done betwen now and April 22.

March 26, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  14. GARTH

Sky, you are so right on!

CNN THE BEST POLITIC TEAM? When did you guys garner this award?

I am so sick and tired of the skewed reporting by the majority of CNN staffers!

March 26, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  15. Franky New York, NY

Absolutely, I would vote for McCain....something I would have never thought to do – voting Republican – should Obama get the nomination. I'm more confident Obama is NOT ready to be President, than I am that McCain is not a closeted Democrat.

March 26, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  16. Grant

If Hillary doesn't get the nod, I will vote McCain.

Anyone other than Obama 08

March 26, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  17. Danny Davis

I will never vote for Hillary

March 26, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  18. food for thot

its a shame that the media is fueling the fued in trhe dem party

March 26, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  19. Chris-Seattle

That shoe fits on the other foot too! Too bad that they think McCain is the alternative to Clinton, I think they must be living with their eyes closed!

March 26, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  20. kevin from alaska

Look, Hillary Clinton will not be the nominee - it's impossible, she's lost.

So, if Obama loses the general to McCain because of hardcore Hillary boosters I suggest this:

When McCain starts the draft, we move the Hillary boosters to the top.

March 26, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  21. rrr

What else would you expect from the Clinton camp?...Divide, Divide, Divide

March 26, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  22. Jason

OK - how about another poll showing how many African Americans will not vote at all if Clinton somehow gets the nomination.

March 26, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  23. vic nashville,Tn

That is true my family votes will go to Mc Cain if Hillary is not nominee .We are watching the race very close. If you look at mainstream media they spend 85% of covering in Obama in February .Look past 2 days news the media covering Obama vacation CNN please give us break

March 26, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  24. Norm

I think I'll vote for a third party if Obama gets it Not Mccain

March 26, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  25. Mike in Columbus

I won't vote for someone I can't trust.

HRC has proven that she can not be trusted to even do what is best for the Democratic party.

She will NEVER be president, don't her supporters get that? NEVER!

March 26, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |