March 26th, 2008

Poll: Democrats ready to defect to McCain

A new poll suggests many Clinton supporters may back McCain.
A new poll suggests many Clinton supporters may back McCain.

(CNN) - A sizable number of Hillary Clinton supporters may break ranks to back John McCain in November should Barack Obama capture the Democratic nomination, a new Gallup poll suggests.

According to the just-released poll, 28 percent of Clinton's supporters would back McCain should the New York senator lose her quest for the Democratic nomination.

That compares to the 19 percent of Obama supporters who say they will favor McCain should Clinton be the party’s nominee.

"[The results] suggest that some Clinton supporters are so strongly opposed to Obama (or so loyal to Clinton) that they would go so far as to vote the "other" party's candidate next November if Obama is the Democratic nominee," Frank Newport of Gallup said of the survey's findings.

Newport also noted that the poll's results are likely the result of the heated battle for the nomination, and the number of the party’s defectors to McCain is likely to decrease after Democrats choose a nominee and the focus shifts to defeating the Arizona senator.

The poll was conducted March 7-22 and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Melinda Charlotte, NC

You know...the Obama supporters are really not making us Hillary supporters any more likely to vote for Obama by calling us stupid. I have two post graduate degrees. I graduated Magna Cum Laude. I support Hillary. I am not stupid.

March 26, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. GO HILL!

John McCain also believes in Global Warming, green jobs AND was once thinking about becoming a DEMOCRAT! He's a moderate....something we need right now!

March 26, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  3. Dylan California

THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT DEMOCRATS! ANYONE WHO WOULD VOTE FOR WARMONGER OVER A PROGRESSIVE READY TO END THE WAR AND FIX THE ECONOMY IS NOT A DEMOCRAT!

March 26, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  4. Deb

Obama is no longer a viable candidate.

I'm sure this is what the Poll reflects.

And in our own American home-My husband is a former Marine, we would never vote for an Anti-American.

McCain is an All-American Hero, we are both registered Democrats, but come November, we will vote for him if we can't vote for Hillary.

March 26, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. truth be told

Try polling after the race speech and the Bosnia lie... then we'll see.

Anyhow, a lot of Clinton supporters are very childish at this point and this result doesn't surprise me. Truth is come November if you vote McCain, you don't care about your country!

March 26, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. Jyh1920

People who supported Hillary were never going to support someone like Obama. If you will support A liar, power hungry, say anything as long as it will benefit them, user, win at all cost person like her and find her candidacy attractive, you couldn't possibly want the likes of Barack Obama.

March 26, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  7. John

Wake me up in September when the campaign starts

March 26, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  8. Jyh1920

How is Obama unelectible if he is beating Clinton?
    Riddle me this?

March 26, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. fred

A true democrat will vote for the best person for the position!!! A person that you know will stand up for all AMERICANS!!! You do not vote for a person...just because he/she is a democrat!!!

GO HILLARY!!

I believe Hillary is a TRUE AMERICAN!!!

I believe John McCain is a TRUE AMERICAN!!!

Obama isn't even close to being a TRUE AMERICAN!!!

March 26, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  10. AMS

Well said, V. Sheldon!!!

March 26, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  11. Jack

I don't know who you are polling but, I'll vote for any Democrat before I'll vote for John McBush!

March 26, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  12. Jyh1920

Hillary supporters really ARE as uneducated as the polls indicate.
    She knows it and plays to her base of dummies.

March 26, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. oswanegan

Dems are doomed... she will stay in this thing as long as long she can... the Democratic party is dead, just like the Republicans wanted.

Serenity now!!!!

March 26, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  14. April Garlow

Not only will Hillary's supporters defect in this election, but in the local and statewide races as well. Obama's flash in the pan voters will be gone, and all these over thirty females, that turn out to vote in the local and state elections ,won't be there to depend on. So look forward to a Republican Congress as well. The DNC is blowing off thier base.

March 26, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  15. C.Lo

OBAMA AND HILLARY ARE BOTH WEALTHY. IF YOU GUYS SWITCH PARTY, BELIEVE ME THEY WILL BE JUST FINE. YOU GUYS ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH FORECLOSURES, CREDIT CARD AND JOB.

THINK FOR ONCE

AIRBORNE

March 26, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  16. Tommy

I`m a fan of Democrats living in Europe. Honestly I`m surprise by this revelation. Does it mean Some democrats in America vote for persons not what they stand for? ...... Very interesting to learn another type of democracy.

March 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  17. Jeff

then these people are morons who love bush. let them vote mccain, hope they stay with the republicans

March 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  18. David

This is a cheap one from Hillary supporters...

Every body knows that most Obama supporter will not vote for Hillary if she is on the top of a ticket. Even if Obama himself supported her. In addition, independents will vote McCain for sure if Obama is not the candidate...This is the most important factor in this race...

March 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  19. Dave

I'm an Obama supporter and I will PROUDLY vote for Hillary if she wins the nomination. I know it's hard for some people but let's stop being Anti-Hillary or Anti-Obama. Let's start saying no to 100 years of war in Iraq and continuations of Bush's economic policies.

UNITE!

March 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Apryl

That poll can't be correct. I know at least 61 people who said if Billary is the nominee that they'd vote for Mccain. These polls are bogus. I will personally go out of my way to get votes for Mccain if the Dems steal it from Obama.

March 26, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. James Nelson

Anybody foolish enough to believe, after the past 8 years, that another Bush wannabe Republican is preferable to either Democrat is demonstrating either a profound lack of rational thought or the maturity of a pre-adolescent.

And I say this as somebody who really cannot stand Hillary.

March 26, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. ECHEWEOZO

NO PEACE FOR THE WICKEDS
    SHAME ON U HILLARY

GOD BLESS OBAMA

March 26, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. actxent

YOU 28% I'm speaking to you. By voting Repub. what is your true reason for not supporting your original party? could it be racist? Then why criticize Rev. Wright. You without sin cast the first stone.

March 26, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  24. Tess

Charlotte, Perhaps you need a history lesson. MOST delegates are not free to vote for him they choose, they are pledged–80% of them. There will be few surprises come convention time.

March 26, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  25. Gion

so many of HIllary supporters are women. McCain says he will appoint SCOTUS judges who will overturn Roe vs. Wade

Are Hillary supporters really willing to lose Roe vs. Wade over sour grapes that their candidate didn't win?

March 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |