March 27th, 2008

Clinton tells Democrats: Don't vote for McCain

Clinton said electing a Democrat is of paramount importance.
Clinton said electing a Democrat is of paramount importance.

FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina (CNN) – Hillary Clinton pleaded for partisan unity on Thursday, urging Democrats not to abandon their party to vote for John McCain if their preferred candidate fails to secure the nomination.

Clinton was asked by a questioner in the audience here what she would tell frustrated Democrats who might consider voting for McCain in the general election out of spite.

“Please think through this decision,” Clinton said, laughing and emphasizing the word “please.”

“It is not a wise decision for yourself or your country.”

The crowd applauded loudly.

A Gallup poll released this week indicated that 28 percent of Clinton's supporters would back McCain should the New York senator lose her quest for the Democratic nomination.

That compares to the 19 percent of Obama supporters who say they will favor McCain should Clinton be the party’s nominee.

“First of all, every time you have a vigorous contest like we are having in this primary election people get intense,” she continued. “You know, Sen. Obama has intense support. I have intense support.”

Clinton stressed that there are “significant” differences between her and Obama, but said “those differences pale to the differences between us and Sen. McCain.”

“I intend to do everything I can to make sure we have a unified Democratic party,” she said. “When this contest is over and we have a nominee, we’re going to close ranks, we’re going to be united.”

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. April

I will vote for McCain if Hillary gets 'steals' the nomination by her dirty trickster ways. And all my friends will too... half of Indiana.

March 27, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. Harvey in Va.

Perhaps not a wise decision but I will not vote for Obama unless his name is on the ticket with Hillary

March 27, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  3. AfricanAmerican Woman for HILLARY!

Hillary wants UNITY just like we all do.

She has EVERY right to stay in this until the end. She's not Huckabee with just a few delegates.

She doesn't want this high-stakes job for the title. This woman wants to GET WORK DONE!

To the nay-sayers....

HILLARY 08!

March 27, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. Sly

I am 100% OBAMA.. but if it comes down to it, I would support Hillary in the general.. I would be a shame to throw away this election due to inter-party-frustration..

OBAMA 08!

March 27, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. john williams san diego, ca.

Fools for Hillary...'incoming'...

March 27, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. Experience?

Finnaly she does something good. But the reason shes doing this is that Superdelgates told her Stop the MCCain stuff or we wont vote for you.

Clinton does not care about what happens to the democratic party. Mark my words she will win PA (not by much) loose IN and NC and then the super delgates sworm to Obama. Hillary Clinton will give up politics and give up the senate seat PROVING that all she wanted it for was for herself to be president.

Still waiting on taxes though.

I don't hate hillary supporters, i just think the ones that try to have a lieing contest and proves Obamas point of that canidadtes these days can't even have ideas, Having an idea is terrible

March 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  7. Hal

Yeah Hillary!! We need to remember that there is more at stake here than the Whitehouse.

The next President will decide the future of the supreme court for decades to come.

If McCain is elected the country will be sent back to the dark ages judicially. Imagine an even larger and longer lasting Right-wing neo-con Supreme Court.

I WILL VOTE FOR HILLARY OR OBAMA Because in spite of all the petty backbiting within the party they both represent a step in the right direction!!!

March 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Susan

Well it's about time Hillary showed some allegiance to her party and backed Obama over McCain. A win for the Republican party in the Fall would be disastrous for the United States.

March 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. Hillary is a LIAR ! ! ! -- New York

so Hillary is that why you're begging the pledged delegates to jump ship ?? that doesn't sound like unity to me.

March 27, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. Juliet

Yeah right, we are going to close ranks we are going to unite. HA I am LMAO. She will never get my vote. I have no respect for a woman who would stay with a man who did what he did in the way he did it. Just for politics. Wow, I will say it again and again. She is a liar so is her husband. And I voted for him and liked him until he did what he did. Shame on the clintons. Party unite yes , but only if its them on the top dictating to everyone unite behind me.

March 27, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. Ga. latino voter

Well said Hillary, so am hoping that means no more negative speeches, RIGHT?

March 27, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  12. AJ, IL

Congrats Hillary, I concur whole-heartedly. The first thing you have said that all Democrats should agree on which is that when Obama is the nominee you intend to do everything you can to make sure we have a unified Democratic party.

Obama in 08

March 27, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  13. Clinton is a fraud

Good to hear this from her mouth...but I hope you ain't lying on this.
    I really do hope she is not lying because I have sneaky concern about her statement especially since Billwinsky had said that HRC and McBush are very good friends.

March 27, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  14. Garrett, Hillary '08!!

I love Hillary. Nancy needs to back off. And Obama needs to drop out.

McCain is gay. Go to youtube and search McCain gay.

NO JOKE!!!!

March 27, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  15. nate

At this point Id vote for a third term for George Bush before Id vote for her.
    Obama '08.

March 27, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. Roger

Thank you Peter Hamby for posting this blog. This shows that Hillary is a true democrat.

I believe that Obama has said before that her supporters would vote for him, but he didn't know if his supporters would vote for Hillary.

March 27, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Tom T

If Hillary Clinton ends up being the Democratic nominee, I will absolutely be voting for John McCain.

No More Clintons, No More Bushes!!

March 27, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. Independant

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

THESE ARE THE MOST RESPONSIBLE WORDS SHE'S SAID IN A WHILE

VOTE FOR OBAMA!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

March 27, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  19. Grif

Well if they won't vote for you.. They have no other alternative..

You should jump ship yourself and join him...As a Republican
    Deputy.

March 27, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. Tex

Give me a break! Typical, Hillary "mispeak". How can anyone take this woman seriously anymore? What a hypocrite!

March 27, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  21. mehrad

for once clinton says something i actually am proud of!

March 27, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  22. Remocrat

Hillary I have news for you. Your supporters reject Obama and most of them are Republicans voting for you to keep the fight going.

March 27, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  23. Kim

Sorry Hillary, but at least with John McCain we will know what we are getting.

Another rookie in the White House, who thinks he can change Washington?

March 27, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  24. jp/michigan

I am so sorry! But if Obama is the nominee , he will not be elected President. The Democratic party do not see what is visible in front of their eyes, about Obama, then maybe they don't deserve to be in the White House. TRUST WORTHY AND USE OF GOOD JUDGEMENT< DOES NOT EXSIST IN OBAMA!

March 27, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  25. Harry Brock

If Obama gets the nod, I will cross party lines and vote for McCain; and as time goes by I'm considering doing the same if Clinton gets the nod. The only way the democrats will when the election now is at the convention, they nominate Al Gore with Edwards as his running mate, and tell Obama and Clinton to maybe settle for a high level cabinet post.

March 27, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |