March 28th, 2008

Chelsea: Mom will be a better president than dad

Chelsea Clinton says she thinks her mom would be the better president.
Chelsea Clinton says she thinks her mom would be the better president.

(CNN) - It's a topic that would likely make for awkward conversation at a Clinton family dinner: Who would be the better president, Bill or Hillary?

But daughter Chelsea Clinton made her position on the matter clear Friday, saying unequivocally that she thinks her mom will make a better president than her dad.

She did not elaborate on just why she thinks her mom would be the better commander-in-chief, but the former president himself made similar statements to an Israeli TV interviewer last November.

Bill Clinton said then he thought his wife would make the better president because she is more experienced than he was in 1992.

"In some ways she would be (better) because of what we did together," he said then. "First, she has the Senate experience I didn't have. Second, she would have had the eight years in the White House."

"I think she wouldn't make as many mistakes because, you know, we're older and more mature, and she is far more experienced now in all the relevant ways than I was when I took office," he added. "So I think in a way she has the best of both worlds."

No word on where Hillary herself comes down on the issue.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton
  1. Grif

That's a close call..William was the best in my long lifetime.

March 28, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. Renee Osterwalder/Expat Winterthur Switzerland

Well I would hope so. I myself am a Obama supporter, but if I had to choose between Bill and Hill....I would definately take Hill, just because she seems to be more morally sound than Bill.

March 28, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  3. Rom

"I don't take anything for granted, but hopefully with Pennsylvania's help, she will be our next president, and yes, I do think she'll be a better president," the former first daughter said during a campaign event in Allentown, Pennsylvania."

I THINK THE CLINTONS HAVE A SERIOUS MATH PROBLEM !!!
    EVEN SHE WON PENNSYLVANIA BY A MARGIN OF 20 SHE COULDN'T CATCH UP NEITHER IN PLEDGE DELEGATES NOT IN POPULAR VOTES

wake up young lady your mom is DONE

March 28, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. clare

she probably reckons the Mom won't take the country through another impeachement process.................

March 28, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  5. Richard I

"Mum will be a better president than Dad"....just shows you how shallow the US Executive has gone. Presidencies rotated amongst families instead of merits. Case in point, GWB. Regardless, quite a dumb statement. In 20yrs time, Chelsea's kid will be saying Mom will be better than Grandma....yeah of course. I sure think Hillary can do better than Bill with respect to Monica.

March 28, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. Florida voter

Hehe, maybe Hillary would be a better. Itll be funny to imagine Bill as First MAN though. Vote Hillary 08!

March 28, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. After further review,Texas

Smart kid.

March 28, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. DT

If by "better" she means "more ruthless, aggressive, tenacious, and will stop at nothing to get the results she wants", then maybe that is correct.

Myself, well, I'd like to see more integrity, ethical behavior, and moral fiber in the Clinton campaign. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

March 28, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  9. Brian

Yikes. That's an endorsement?

March 28, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  10. OlvrWhit

Hillary will be a great President.

She is not destroying the party, the party has plenty of issues that have nothing to do with Clinton, like disinfranchising millions of voters, fraudulent caucus practises, to name a few.

Now we have more hatred coming from Rev.Wright that of course Obama knows nothing about.....and top that with the Obama campaign inserting spies into the Clinton campaign, how can you trust this man...

Hillary needs to fight till then end..she will prevail because people will start to see the bag of lies the media and the Obama campaign has fed them and he will lose. Of course, then the Obama supporters can really hate Hillary more since they can never seem to discuss the issues of the race, preferring to hate, just like the Rev.

March 28, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. Carol

I would bet that she says that only because she knows for sure that she is related to mother.

March 28, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. bk

She is going to win because no one will vote for Obama. They will vote Republican first.

March 28, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. Just Wondering

And.... ugh...this IS our business Chelsea?

Just checking...geesh...seems like we were having a little Hillary fit back there the other day.

Can I point out Chelsea that it might not take much for your mom to do better than your daddy...I mean he was so busy with "that woman"...no I didn't mention Monica...oops sorry darling. I sure didn't mean to say that...I've been up late these nights blogging, all that gunfire going off in my head too...I just misspoke. That should make thing better now shouldn't it sweetheart.

March 28, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  14. Unity

So it was okay for Bill Clinton to be president despite being younger, unexperienced and less mature and prone to mistakes.

But it's not okay for Barack Obama?

Hillary Clinton made a horrible mistake when she voted for the Bush/Cheney war in Iraq- and she still doesn't have the maturity to admit her mistake.

March 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  15. Amused, Las Vegas

Bill was the best president in my lifetime. I hope that we get to see what Hillary can do.

March 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. Texas4Obama

Obama will be the best president.

March 28, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. Ex-Hillary supporter

Well, we know Hillary "misspeaks" as well Bill does.
    Seriously though, this country deserves a break from the Bush and Clinton families and their style of politicking. They are stale.
    It is time for a candidate with a fresh, less partisan approach, the potential to do good things for this country and improve our image overseas.
    Which is why, along with many others, I have transferred my support from the Clintons to Barack Obama and his campaign.

March 28, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  18. Jonathan Swift

At least she didn't say that Dad was just an average white guy with a problem in self-restraint, but nonetheless that is pretty cold to have no problem in comparing your parents that way. Actually, Hillary is pretty much Bill without the charm

March 28, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  19. Ann

Yes, she will be definitely better. However, Hillary is running against the BEST. VOTE FOR THE BEST CANDIDATE. VOTE FOR BARACK!

March 28, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  20. Lissa

It wouldn't take much...

March 28, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  21. Mary Mary

Dear Chelsea
    Just what would that prove??

March 28, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  22. Jay Basgall

Even if Hillary is only "just as good" as Bill was at being president, Americans would be better off. The eight years of the first Clinton presidency allowed the majority of Americans to prosper and grow.

March 28, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  23. DB

Is that a hard thing. Next up SO AND SO will be a better president than Bush.

March 28, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. Ric

I have to give Chelsea some credit. She grew up in front of the world. She hasn't had much privacy, and now she's campaigning on a HUGE stage.

March 28, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  25. ben

When does Chelsea plan on running for president?

March 28, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |