March 28th, 2008

Chelsea: Mom will be a better president than dad

Chelsea Clinton says she thinks her mom would be the better president.
Chelsea Clinton says she thinks her mom would be the better president.

(CNN) - It's a topic that would likely make for awkward conversation at a Clinton family dinner: Who would be the better president, Bill or Hillary?

But daughter Chelsea Clinton made her position on the matter clear Friday, saying unequivocally that she thinks her mom will make a better president than her dad.

"I don't take anything for granted, but hopefully with Pennsylvania's help, she will be our next president, and yes, I do think she'll be a better president," the former first daughter said during a campaign event in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

She did not elaborate on just why she thinks her mom would be the better commander-in-chief, but the former president himself made similar statements to an Israeli TV interviewer last November.

Bill Clinton said then he thought his wife would make the better president because she is more experienced than he was in 1992.

"In some ways she would be (better) because of what we did together," he said then. "First, she has the Senate experience I didn't have. Second, she would have had the eight years in the White House."

"I think she wouldn't make as many mistakes because, you know, we're older and more mature, and she is far more experienced now in all the relevant ways than I was when I took office," he added. "So I think in a way she has the best of both worlds."

No word on where Hillary herself comes down on the issue.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton
  1. Hillary

She's right! Mom can dodge sniper fire.

March 28, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  2. Sal in Phoenix

I also think Hillary will be a better president than Bill..I believe she has been the real brains behind him in his political career.

March 28, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  3. Lisa

yeah, yeah, yeah right... If I guess if Bill was running and Hillary had been a former President... " Dad would make a better President than mom".... nice try Chelsea... but your i" mom" is a bold face liar that cannot be trusted!!!!!

March 28, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  4. Robert - Illinois

Give....me....a......break.

OBAMA 08

March 28, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  5. S from Canada

What a dumb question – I can't believe anyone even asked Chelsea Clinton that – what do you think she is going to say – Gee, no my Mom will not be as good a President as my Dad.
    I am starting to wonder about the media's mentality when this even gets news coverage.

March 28, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  6. Michael

Neither were any good for America.

March 28, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  7. Norm

I think the country couldn't get a better combination to take over the whitehouse..............Hillary08!

March 28, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  8. lynn

Absolutely...

And that is saying something...Bill was a great president....
    left our economy in great shape......DID HIS JOB WELL

Hillary is the amswer to our problems

Hillary can do it.....wake up voters...

March 28, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  9. Brandon

Are the Clinton's dumb? Hilliary can't win the nomination with just Pennsylvania under her belt. This tactic about just worrying about the big states and to hell with the rest is stupid. I hope the people of Pennsylvania have some sort of sense left.

March 28, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  10. Mike Indiana

Yeah Hillary , This guy is right . I would vote for you and John Edwards. Good pick , Brad from Chicago, Hillary is the only one left in this race to save this country , and note that the Obama supporters continue to press the Dem. party and the super- delegates to throw this race for Obama is totally absurd. With John on her ticket this would be ah-sum . Vote Hillary 08

March 28, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  11. Steve

Actually, my guess is that she'd be pretty much the same. Extremely intelligent and capable, but too willing to compromise principles and too inclined to do things the old-fashioned way. And, of course, a little fuzzy on the ethics.

And this is why I support Obama. (Although I will vote for Hillary if she gets the nod, and I must say that I'm stunned at the amount of people who will make a "sour grapes" vote for McCain, thereby ruining the country for another four years.)

March 28, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  12. Darth Vadik, CA

I guess we'll never know.

March 28, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  13. SexyMe

Not knocking Willy because he was great in office but a liar and a backstabber like Hillary is going to spell T R O U B L E. He is just as scare of Hillary.

March 28, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  14. Iowa

Dear Chelsea

I happen to think your Mom And Dad are cut from the same fabric. They don't know the differance between mispoke and an out right
    lie. If it is a regular lie or a white house lie it is still a lie. Vote for Honesty the next time around.
    Thank You!

March 28, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  15. Sherri

Be careful when you question the golden child however on why...She might just tell you it's none of your business....

March 28, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  16. Jim

If Bill was running again, he'd have Obama beat by now. Obama is no match for Bill's oratory.

March 28, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  17. Jersey_Blues

Hillarry Go home.

March 28, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  18. Noble Seattle, WA

American presidency a family business?

March 28, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. Ray Ito

If Chelsea was the 'first daughter" during Bill Clinton's presidency, if her her mother wins (which is unlikely), then she can be referred to as the 'super-dupper first daughter.'

Bill Clinton said Hillary won't make mistakes like him because of her 'experience'. Well, she made the BIG mistake about the Iraq war, she just made the mistake ("misspoke") about sniper bullets in Bosnia where they had to duck their heads (actually, she walked straight as a pole), made a mistake about NAFTA,...etc.

The truth is, Hillary would only be a mouthpiece for Bill because he craves the White House again so bad.

March 28, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  20. BERNIE MINGS

WHAT IS HILLARY SUPPOSED TO DO?...ROLL OVER, PLAY DEAD.
    PEOPLE ARE FALLING FOR THAT OBAMA BAIT. OBAMA IS STILL WET BEHIND THE EARS. WHAT HAS OBAMA DONE FOR AMERICA, NOTHING. REMEMBER, HITLER GAVE A GREAT SPEECH. I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE IT. WHY ARE PEOPLE AND THE NEWS MEDIA SO OBSESSED WITH TRYING TO DESTROY HILLARY? LET THE PROCESS CONTINUE, PEOPLE DO COUNT.
    IT'S NOT OVER UNTIL THE LADY SINGS, GOD BLESS AMERICA.

March 28, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  21. Jenny, TX

We are totally agree with you Chelsea. We only vote for the best candidate.

March 28, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  22. thomas

of course she's going to say that hillary rodham clinton (wait, i haven't heard the rodham in a long time) will be the better president. do you think it would be smart to say that her dad, who isn't running for president, is the better of the two? that would be stupid. it's just a posturing attempt to make hillary sound better than she really is.

March 28, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  23. Kyle

I think it will be great to have President Obama and First Lady Michelle in the White House.

March 28, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  24. FrankSmith

I would be afraid to see Hillary as nominee, let alone president (small "p") of this great nation. Talk about division; you will get more of this in the nation, the senate, and even congress if Hillary steals the nomination.

The question would have been: who is the better lier, Bill or Hillary?

March 28, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. David, Silver Spring MD

May Chelsea's claim forever remain an untested hypothesis.

March 28, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |