March 28th, 2008

Dodd: Prolonged Democratic race 'devastating'

Dodd wants the Democratic race to end soon.
Dodd wants the Democratic race to end soon.

(CNN) – Sen. Chris Dodd said Thursday a protracted Democratic presidential race would be "devastating" to the party, and argued an agreement should be worked out after the upcoming contests in Pennsylvania, Indiana, and North Carolina.

Dodd, a former presidential candidate and current backer of Barack Obama's White House bid, told the National Journal he thinks it’s a forgone conclusion Obama will be the Democratic presidential nominee, and said he thinks it's about time party leaders bring the race to a conclusion.

"We've got five more months to go before the Democratic convention at the end of August and, candidly, we cannot go five more months with the kind of daily sniping that's going on and have a candidate emerge in that convention," said the Connecticut senator.

"Over the next couple of weeks, as we get into April, it seems to me then, that the national leadership of this party has to stand up and reach a conclusion," he added.

Pennsylvania, a state where Hillary Clinton is heavily favored, is slated to vote April 22; North Carolina and Indiana head to the polls two weeks later. It remains unclear which candidates have the edge in those states.

Dodd's comments come one day after Clinton indicated she planned to stay in the race through the remaining round of primary contests. The latest votes, South Dakota's and Montana's caucuses, fall on June 3.

"I think the elections that are yet to come deserve to be held because the people from Pennsylvania to Puerto Rico to all the others that are waiting in line deserve to be heard. And I think that's part of the good," Clinton said Wednesday. Former President Bill Clinton also reiterated that sentiment, saying Wednesday, “my family’s not big on quitting.”

But Dodd said Thursday allowing the race to continue indefinitely would be "irresponsible."

"Allowing this sort of to fester over the months of June, and July and August, I think, are irresponsible," he said. "I think you have to make a decision, and hopefully the candidates will respect it and people will rally behind a nominee that, I think, emerges from these contests over the next month."

Specifically, Dodd said leaders among the Congress, governors, and at the Democratic National Committee need to work together to forge a compromise.

"It seems to me you've got to have an issue here that transcends your favorite candidate and decide whether or not the best candidate we have to win this election, to bring our country together and to get behind that choice, instead of having this sort of drip on for the next five months. That is devastating in my view," he said."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. REV LEROY ROSS

chris Dodd is right Allowing this fester to go on it a shame to the Democrative party Bill clinton should be shames of himself talk about his family is not big on quitting he talk irresponsible we dont need the clintons back in the white house anyway for what he did the frist time shame on him he should sit down and level well enough alone

March 27, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  2. rw in ct

It is revolting how some party heads, career politicians want the democratic process to end. Is this the example of democracy that we want the Iraqis to follow? Maybe it is time to focus on the structure of our democracy and make some corrective changes. It would not hurt to place gag orders on the windbag bigwigs. Shame on you Dodd.

March 27, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  3. VOTER FOR TRUTH, DIGNITY-OBAMA/EDWARDS 2008

RinggggggggggggggDing a ling. The Superdelegate can't even go
    out to lunch. It's Hillary at 9 am, then Hillary at Noon, then Hillary at
    6 pm. and Hillary at 9 pm. Now Hillary, let the Superdelegates rest.
    No sway. No Way. It is 3 am. and Hillary is too tired to talk.

March 27, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  4. jer

The Clinton's blew there chance when their Super Tuesday strategy didn't knock out Obama.
    They had their chance as the presumptive nominee.
    America rejected them.
    They still think they are owed the nomination.
    They have fooled the blue collar people in to thinking that they are working for them when it's really all about them.
    There is just enough racism and gender voting in the party to keep them alive and keep the primary season going.
    Maybe there is to much racism in the country to elect Obama.
    At first I thought there was and then Obama strung together 11 straight wins and I thought it was his.
    Then the Wright card was played and now I think racism has reared its head. You'd think the average guy would be happy Obama is a christian. I've never seen a candidates' preacher losing the election for him. Especially when Obama has only acted as a true disciple of Christ.
    Hillary and lying about her trip to Bosnia is a 2 day story. Why?

March 27, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  5. Daniel

I just tend to wonder what would happen if Barack Obama was behind in delegates and attacking clinton with a "kitchen sink" strategy. Dems would be calling for his head! I dont get it. The whole "hes not ready" and then "he can be vice president", the donors strongarming pelosi, etc...

If any superdelegates read this, please help!

March 27, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  6. Claire

It is time for Hilary to step down already before any more damage is done to the party.I can't understand why people don't see threw her.She is very foany to begin with,she has lied about Bosnia ,NFTA etc.I watched her movies on the web and I couldn't believe all the lies that went on when in the white house.Also what gets to me is one of her debate she said she was honored to be there with Obama and the next day what does she do she slam him big time..To my opinion its being a 2 face..Like she said she will do anything to get what she wants .One ? I have what is Bill going to do if she is the President when she has to travel and go to meetings and meet leaders? Is he going to sit with the first ladies and chit chat r he is going to be in the meetings too.

March 27, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  7. SAM

Thank goodness Dodd is speaking up. I'm so sick of this whole mess- and the way I feel right now I'm ready to go out and trash cars for my candidate. I mean, I can see how things can get too emotional and out of control. And, at this point Clinton would have to walk on water to get my vote. I was for her initially but her underhanded lies and meanness have turned me off completely. Besides, I believe Obama is an exceptional candidate. IF OBAMA DOESN'T GET THE DEM NOMINATION I'M NOT VOTING FOR MCCAIN> I'M VOTNG FOR NADER.

March 27, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  8. ynw

Why does not Obama serve as a VP now and run for 2012, 2016 or 2020? That would be the best solution for the party.

March 27, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  9. Bruce

You Obama supporters haven't begun to see what the Republican party is going to do to your man! When they're through with him, he'll win very FEW states! Go ahead, put him in, a vote for Obama is a GUARANTEE that McCain will win the presidency!

March 27, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  10. Debbie Finke

Has anyone noticed that all of Obama supporters are losers. Kennedy, Richardson, Kerry, Dodd, etc. all failed when running for President. I guess Obama will join the list in November!

March 27, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. merle 7

Since the voters won't make up their minds I guess it is up to the SD.Prolonging this is harmful to the party. If voters had changed their minds I think Hillary would have won by much larger margins in Tx and Ohio. If it is true about the rebuplicans mischeif in those primaries, then maybe that was the problem. It is time for Dems to rally around the winner and build the big Mo for November.

March 27, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  12. joejoe

Senator Dodd,
    Do us a favor and come out an endorse Senator Obama.Tell John Edwards come out and endorse Obama. How about you and some more come out and lend some support to Obama so we can get this over with. I would hate to turn Republican so help me out here guys.

March 27, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  13. Bubba

she lost the nomination with her last bold faced lie...sniper fire. She must be studied to see how she can lie so freely and, when caught, just dismiss the incident as, "Oh, well..." Then she moves on to the next lie. She must be studied in a clinical setting.

March 27, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  14. Ernest Pennsylvania

I agree, i don't see the point of continuing when there is no mathematical way she can catch up on pledged delegates even if she wins all the remaining contest. I believe state should have a vote, and a say. vut even with that vote and say the most it could do for her is narrow her defeat. Meanwhile Mccain has started his campaign for President. She needs to step down period. True Democrats understand this. The sad thing is that people in the Democrat Party that have the power to end this are scared of Hilary, and these "uncomfortable" conversations she has with people when they go againest her.

Obama 08

March 27, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  15. Nikole

If Obama were in her position, the Democratic Party would have told him to go home after February. Why don't we do the same to her?

March 27, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  16. Angus McDugan

It's 3AM and the phone is ringing in the White House. Do you want someone to wake up "sleep deprived" because it's 3AM and "misspeak?"

March 27, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  17. Voice

Those 20 democratic donors ought to be shamed of themselves. I strongly recommend that their names be publizied. I do not think it matters to them a bit, given how bold they were to write such an inappropriate letter to Pelosi.

March 27, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  18. James

CNN quit deleting my comment. Quoting straight from the bible and you can not deal with those facts either. What a farse

March 27, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  19. diane

Obama should quit now! Hillary will be a better president.

Go Hillary !!!

March 27, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  20. Steve

OK, folks, these are the facts. If you cast a sour grapes vote for McCain if your horse doesn't win the race, here's what you get:

*Many more dead in Iraq.
    *The end of Roe vs. Wade, and other bad things brought about by the appointment of right-wing judges.
    *More tax cuts for the wealthy.

This is just the beginning. So please take a moment and consider the disaster that will happen if you base your vote on hurt feelings.

For the record, I'm an Obama supporter who thinks Hillary should drop out. But this goes out to BOTH sides. I will vote for the Democratic nominee no matter what. If you don't want four more years like the last eight years, you'll do the same.

March 27, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  21. Will from Gaithersburg, MD

It is well known that Sen. Clinton’s chances of winning the nomination are virtually impossible, so she provides her supporters with false hopes until her campaign devises plans to change rules in the process. Sen. Clinton has no regard for anyone and will do anything to win including deliberately taking down the Democratic Party with her. As an independent, I will vote for Ralph Nader before I would give Clinton my vote.

OBAMA 08!

March 27, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. Linda Montgomery

This typical white person is behind Obama all the way, because I LISTEN and pick up on CONTEXT and understand what he was saying. The voters have spoken and they have said No, thank you, Hillary. It would be even more pronounced if not for Rush Limbaugh's asking Republicans to vote for her in Texas and Ohio so they would have an easier opponent in the fall.

Even if Clinton doesn't care about the party or the country, she should drop out before she botches any chance she has of EVER winning ANY election again, including the Senate seat she already has. There are still no 2006 income tax returns and no Clinton Library donor list. The campaign fraud trial, which I have mentioned before on here, but doesn't get posted because of CNN's ties to Clinton, is still going on.

March 27, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  23. Ken, LA California

Obama will gracefully step down if Hillary beats him in the pledged delegates run Hillary should do the same, if she cant catch up step down for the sake of the party.

March 27, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  24. Abby, Northern California

Hillary is such a disgrace!

I am glad to see more and more Obama for 08 President signs popping up in my area!

Can't waiting till the day the Clintons are gone forever.

March 27, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  25. April

And we care what Christopher Dodd because......?
    Hillary. Don't quit!!!!