March 28th, 2008

Gore hopes Dem race will resolve itself

ALT TEXT

Some Democrats see the neutral Gore as a potential powerbroker. (Getty Images)

(CNN) – He's increasingly mentioned as a potential Democratic powerbroker, but former Vice President Al Gore said Thursday he still expects his party's heated White House race will resolve itself.

"What have we got, five months left?" Gore told the Associated Press after delivering a speech at Middle Tennessee State University.

"I think it's going to resolve itself, but we'll see," he added.

The former vice president did not say whether he expected the race will be resolved before the party's convention in late August.

His comments come as Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said in several interviews that he hopes the party's approximately 350 undecided superedelegates make their decision by July 1 — less than a month after the final primary contests in Montana and South Dakota.

As the Democratic race drags on, Gore's name has been invoked as a neutral Democratic party elder who could forge a compromise between the two candidates, or even appear on the top of the presidential ticket himself.

Earlier this week, Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney of Florida suggested Gore, the party’s 2000 presidential nominee, could assume the role of a compromise candidate if neither Hillary Clinton nor Barack Obama could broker a deal.

"If it goes into the convention, don’t be surprised if someone different is at the top of the ticket,” he told a Florida newspaper, adding Gore could be that choice.

TIME.com: Is Al Gore the answer?

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. Adam in Indy

If the Democratic Party is so concerned about this dragging on then why in Gods name to they allow States to hold primaries as late as June?

March 28, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. sparraguslover

Gore/Hillary or Hillary/Gore 08 & 16

Then Hillary and somebody else.. NEVER obama.

I want a President that LOVES my couhtry as much as I do. obama and his haters can go somewhere else.

March 28, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. Marc in DeKalb, IL

With responses like this... well, I'm glad Gore didn't get elected president.

March 28, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. LRO

I have a deep respect for Mr Gore. I wish he would be running for the president.

March 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  5. George, Los Angeles

A Clinton/Gore ticket in 2008 can save us again – just like it did in 1992.

March 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. Greg, NY

There's that word 'hope' again. Seems to be coming up a lot even though people say that hope isn't what the American people need...

March 28, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. Slept in Church for 20 years

Now HERE is experience!!! Al Gore has the respect of the whole world. He'd be an excellent choice for nominee.

March 28, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Sharon

GORE, you are the Democrats HERO........................:)

March 28, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. Steph

I don't understand how the DNC could just make that decision without the vote of the people – isn't this going against what Pelosi was saying just the other day?

March 28, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. Ivar

I think Ideally it would be sensible for the DNC to urge the superdelegates whose states have voted ALREADY make up their minds in 1 month. That should resolve a lot of this mess and alsso it would indicate whats the race will end up being like. I also think its high time for Edwards who is sitting on 18 votes make up his mind one way or the other ( specially considering Noth carolina vote is just around the corner.)
    Personally it would be best for hillary to drop from the race because there is no way she can win this race without an immoral act.

March 28, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  11. Ed

"Operation Chaos" at its best!

March 28, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. Johnson

I think most democrats would agree that a Gore ticket would not be a bad idea. I'm an Obama supporter but I wouldn't mind at all if Gore was candidate. I hope that the Hillary supporters feel the same way.

March 28, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  13. Jarred

Lets not forget about the positive here. This is getting more and more Democrats out and registered to vote! There is feuding now, but its there Primary there is supposed to be feuding. We will see that whom ever the nominee is the Democrats will get behind that person and come out in droves. We all know they stand for virtually the same thing its just a matter of credentials now. But once they have been vetted through this Primary we will follow them straight to the White House.

March 28, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  14. Jim

People like Al Gore could end this tomorrow if they wanted to. Every one of them keeps saying they need to end this, but none of them will get behind a candidate. Obama is the inevitable nominee. There is no way that Hillary can overcome his lead. The entire democratic party needs to get behind Obama now and stop this infighting that is only benefitting the media, who have been borderline tabloid with this primary, and the republicans.

March 28, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  15. joseph

he's super cereal guys!!!

March 28, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  16. Dan F

Putting Gore at the top of the ticket is the more sure-fire way of ensuring another Rebulican win in November. Hopefuly these folks suggesting this aren't serious.

March 28, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  17. merle 7

In other words don't expect no help form me anytime soon, at least for the next five months; let the fire put itself out and hope for the best, what a leader!

March 28, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  18. Darth Vadik, CA

Well, once we get the superdelegates to vote (before the convention), everything will be resolved.

March 28, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  19. Ilene

I've been wishing for a Gore candidacy since 2000! I hope it comes to fruition. He'd be a WONDERFUL president, and the United States would be lucky to have him as their president.

March 28, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  20. Grif

Too late now Mr, you should have helped Hillary at least
    two months ago, and you did'nt. You let Bill, you're old

running mate Down....They were cheated, over and over again..

The Democrats are finished, all because an idiot "Black man"

is sick with power.....

March 28, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  21. Maxine

Who says I want Al Gore? I am sorry, but I feel that if they put someone out there who hasn't worked to "get the vote out", why should he take the nomination. I like Gore but not for President.

March 28, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  22. Bob

It's funny, but I didn't like Al Gore when he was the VP, but I would vote for him now if he was the candidate.

March 28, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  23. Drew

March 28, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. Tom

I don't think he'll be the compromise candidate because (the obvious) no one voted for him and the party would still divide if one of the current candidates was made v.p. , but maybe he could at least kick Howard Dean out – that would be a good start.

March 28, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  25. NotWonOver

I know it is wishful thinking but...

Al Gore for President!