March 28th, 2008

Gore hopes Dem race will resolve itself

ALT TEXT

Some Democrats see the neutral Gore as a potential powerbroker. (Getty Images)

(CNN) – He's increasingly mentioned as a potential Democratic powerbroker, but former Vice President Al Gore said Thursday he still expects his party's heated White House race will resolve itself.

"What have we got, five months left?" Gore told the Associated Press after delivering a speech at Middle Tennessee State University.

"I think it's going to resolve itself, but we'll see," he added.

The former vice president did not say whether he expected the race will be resolved before the party's convention in late August.

His comments come as Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said in several interviews that he hopes the party's approximately 350 undecided superedelegates make their decision by July 1 — less than a month after the final primary contests in Montana and South Dakota.

As the Democratic race drags on, Gore's name has been invoked as a neutral Democratic party elder who could forge a compromise between the two candidates, or even appear on the top of the presidential ticket himself.

Earlier this week, Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney of Florida suggested Gore, the party’s 2000 presidential nominee, could assume the role of a compromise candidate if neither Hillary Clinton nor Barack Obama could broker a deal.

"If it goes into the convention, don’t be surprised if someone different is at the top of the ticket,” he told a Florida newspaper, adding Gore could be that choice.

TIME.com: Is Al Gore the answer?

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. kathe oakland, california

Well I don't know if Gore is the answer or not but if Obama is not on the ticket I will either not vote at all for the first time or I will write in Al's name – at least he is not divisive and dishonest and does not have Bill along so............... I don't know but it better be Senator Barack Obama!

March 28, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  2. Pennsylvanians! DON'T FALL FOR IT!

Of course people like Al Gore and the other 300+ superdelegates won't back either at this time-- they don't want to be the one(s) that tip the scale to one side or the other. It would start a mutiny.

However it is my belief that once there's a clear determination that one nominee supersedes the other by a decent margin at that point I think it would only be fair to give the superdelegates ovber to that candidate since at that point the people have voted and have decided who they wish to nominate and the superdelegates SHOULD NOT TAKE THAT MAJORITY AND WILL OF THE PEOPLE AWAY FROM US!

I think many people will be surprised at the numbers when the votes ome in from Pennsylvania- Everyone's saying that Hillary'sa shoe in- WE'LL SEE!

March 28, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  3. Lauren

If Al Gore is the answer why didn't he get elected the first time around?

March 28, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. Ron R

Al Gore and John Edwards could end this mess tomorrow by coming out and supporting the the inevitable nominee...Barack Obama. For the life of me, if they are truly so concerned about the Democratic party why they don't take such action. I for one feel Edwards will give his support to Obama just prior to the NC primary.

March 28, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. April in Texas

While I like Al Gore I would see this as a power play with the democratic party. Gore knows first hand what it feels like to have a nom taken away. If Gore was to do this I dont know how this will unite the party. Now had Gore ran as the other canidates did I would feel differently.

Obama 08
    Austin Texas

March 28, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  6. Saad

You can't help but love this man. He should be a VP on Hillary's ticket.

March 28, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. Midge from Ohio

I am so tired of Obama and Clinton, Gore might be refreshing. Someone needs to tell Nancy Pelosi to look up on Wikipedia the meaning of a Superdelegate. She seems to have forgotten.

March 28, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  8. FH in SC

AL GORE! THAT'S the CHANGE WE NEED! THAT'S the CHANGE
    we've been waiting for.

I'd love to see him at the head of the ticket! He's the one we need!
    All along, I expected him to run, and WIN!

A Gore / Hillary ticket would be ideal.

Obama says he's a leader, but WHO has he led? WHAT has he done?

Now, we find out he's too liberal. and he is "infected" with the venomous words of his Pastor.

WHAT GOES IN THE HEAD – COMES OUT THE MOUTH.

If he didn't agree with the Pastor's words and views.... WHAT was that friendship based on the past 20 years? I say Obama is unelectable
    for those reasons.

March 28, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  9. AJ, IL

Democrats get your act together!

You've got Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton out there praising McCain. You've got Pro-Clinton wealthy Democrats financially "threatening" Pelosi and the DCCC. You've got Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida, a Clinton superdelegate, telling America the Democratic presidential nomination process is broken and unfair. And now, you've got Mahoney out there suggesting Gore be the nominee when he hasn't even campaigned in 2008 or won any primaries or caucuses.

Boy, the Democrats are making the Republicans look good even when the top two issues (the economy and the Iraq War) that Americans care about are hurting the Republicans.

Obama in 08!

March 28, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  10. Rebecca (CBear)

If he is a man we should respect he would let Hillary know she is cat scratching apart her party and should drop out now while she still has an ounce of dignity left.

Obama '08!

March 28, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  11. Jon

B/4 anyone goes talking Big Al for Pres., I would like to see a debate between him and the multiude of scientists reguarding global warming. Also, I would like to see CNN be a center news provider.

March 28, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  12. Beca

The Democratic Party sounds like a dictaror machine, where are we living? Cuba? All of the sudden the people's votes don't count, caucuses don't count, primaries don't count? Someone is scare, very scare..that is BO. Republicans are goint to win anyways, they are getting ready collecting every issue and every word has been said by candidates..I hope Hillary wins, at leats she is patrioric!

March 28, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. Dave

Well, I'd take Gore over either of these clowns, and I'd take either of them over McCain. Obama is sincere but naive, and he has a problem with his former pastor that might make him unelectable. And Hillary's tactics have proven that she's only in it for herself; she could not care less about her party, her country, or anyone else. When she reccomended McCain over her fellow Democrat, she proved to me that she doesn't deserve my vote. I hope she loses her senate seat, as well, because we don't need such sociopathic people involved in running our country in ANY capacity.

March 28, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  14. maynard

If Al Gore were president we would not be in the mrss we are today.
    i would like to see him as vice president again.he is one super dude

March 28, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  15. James

I never liked this fellow. But, now I really can not stand him. If he thinks that the American voters who have been enduring endless discussions and differences in choosing a Democratic Party leader would suddenly accept someone else, he is out of his mind! We voted and some of us are waiting to vote yet. I don't remember seeing his or anyone else name on the BALLOT.

March 28, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  16. Maryland

Gore/Hillary or Hillary/Gore ticket? You don't need a GED to know that, that ticket does't stand a chance.

March 28, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  17. Jane

Al Gore needs to finally place his endorsement behind Barack Obama just like John Kerry and Ted Kennedy did. Then it will be time for the ole witch to be sent packin' back to Arkansas. Billary can start up a pig farm in Arkansas and be out of politics forever. Suuuueeeyyy!!

March 28, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  18. HH

STEP UP AL, and back OBAMA.

March 28, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  19. Janice, Aberdeen, SD

Gore's right – it's likely going to resolve itself in the next 6 weeks. If PA is close regardless of who wins and if NC and Oregon go for Obama, even Senator Clinton as stubborn as she is will stand aside because she won't be able to keep the superdelegates from joining Obama's bandwagon.

It wouldn't be right to have Gore be a compromise candidate in any case. He didn't campaign at all this election cycle. Edwards, Biden, or Dodd would deserve a shot at it before Gore.

I hope Gore changes his mind and runs for President again and plays a large part in the ( hopefully) Democratic administration in the meantime.

March 28, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  20. Harvey in Va.

The idea of Gore on the top of the ticket may not be a bad idea. If 28% of Clinton voters (including myself) would vote for McCain instead of Obama and 19% of Obama's supporters voting for McCain instead of Hillary. ..Gore may be the best choice for the Dem party if terms cannot be made.

March 28, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  21. Frank

Florida already had a chance to vote. All of the candidates were on the ballot. Obama ran television ads there, and Hillary had fund raisers there. There is no need for Florida to waste money on a second eleciton. Seat Florida's delegates from the January primary.

March 28, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  22. Christopher, Madison, WI

Dan F March 28th, 2008 11:26 am ET

Putting Gore at the top of the ticket is the more sure-fire way of ensuring another Rebulican win in November. Hopefuly these folks suggesting this aren't serious.

Dan do you mean Gore who won the popular vote in 2000? Wow you're an idiot! BTW Gore and Hillary do not get along. There is a reason, she is self-centered and self serving. Look at what she has done to this party. I used to love her now she turns my stomach!

March 28, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  23. jb

I could live with Gore/Clinton

March 28, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  24. Marge Hibbing Mn

Kick obama's butt out. We all know why he is there. With all the crookedness and lies in his background anybody else would be ashamed to show their face.

March 28, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |