March 28th, 2008

Gore hopes Dem race will resolve itself

ALT TEXT

Some Democrats see the neutral Gore as a potential powerbroker. (Getty Images)

(CNN) – He's increasingly mentioned as a potential Democratic powerbroker, but former Vice President Al Gore said Thursday he still expects his party's heated White House race will resolve itself.

"What have we got, five months left?" Gore told the Associated Press after delivering a speech at Middle Tennessee State University.

"I think it's going to resolve itself, but we'll see," he added.

The former vice president did not say whether he expected the race will be resolved before the party's convention in late August.

His comments come as Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said in several interviews that he hopes the party's approximately 350 undecided superedelegates make their decision by July 1 — less than a month after the final primary contests in Montana and South Dakota.

As the Democratic race drags on, Gore's name has been invoked as a neutral Democratic party elder who could forge a compromise between the two candidates, or even appear on the top of the presidential ticket himself.

Earlier this week, Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney of Florida suggested Gore, the party’s 2000 presidential nominee, could assume the role of a compromise candidate if neither Hillary Clinton nor Barack Obama could broker a deal.

"If it goes into the convention, don’t be surprised if someone different is at the top of the ticket,” he told a Florida newspaper, adding Gore could be that choice.

TIME.com: Is Al Gore the answer?

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Al Gore
  1. JR

i also didn't care for Al Gore when he was VP, but i would so vote for him now over any of other candidates. Can he still become the nominee, is that a possibility. I think he would win in a landslide.

March 28, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  2. katydid3316

I like Al Gore just fine, but if the power brokers chose ANYONE other than Clinton or Obama, then what's the point in having us fools out here in the public vote at all? Why not just go straight to the convention, let the 'wiser' heads choose, and remove whatever vestiges of true democracy we have left in a government 'of by and for the people'.

March 28, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  3. Gina

Gore cannot stand Hillary Clinton. This has been fairly well documented. If he comes out for anybody or is on a ticket with either candidat it will be Obama. I think that would be interesting either way. I also think an Obama/Bloomberg ticket is a good way to go.

March 28, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  4. James

Gore does not like Hillary, will never like her. He does not want to say a thing because if he speaks the truth it will be "you never liked me"

March 28, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  5. e r lopez

Gore is not the answer. If Democrats want to register a protest vote for McCain because they are unhappy their candidate did not win, let 'em. Obama will still win the election.

March 28, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. Steve in NJ

Al Gore needed to get into this race back in 2007. Still, better late then never. The Democrats are too divided to win in November and many are taking another look at John McCain. Al Gore can unite the party and win big, even if Florida is too busy still trying to decide how they screwed up in 2000. My vote is currently wavering, but if Gore is in the race, he has my vote.

March 28, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  7. Jim

I think that there is an unresolved issue with Senator Clinton. Why did she take her daughter to a war zone in Bosnia?

March 28, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  8. KHAL

Obama is the new breed......he will win the general election because you don't know what is in his heart.!

March 28, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  9. Butch

Ahh..Deocracy at work........NOT

March 28, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  10. Darko - New Orleans, LA

Al Gore?!?!? pulease....

This global warming hysteria moron for our president? Please do put him on the ticket, and guarantee a rebuplican victory. This man is not the same man who ran for president in 2000. He's paraded himself around the world and shown what an idiot he really is.

March 28, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  11. sozzi

Mr. Gore,

It is time that you show the American people, especially the Democrats, that you have the guts & power to put an end to this madness that the Clintons have created. When you ran for president, you didn't think that you were entitled to the presidency, even though Bush's Court stole it from you. Hillary thinks no one shoukld stand up to the Clintons, and run against then.

So Mr. Gore, please put your foot down with Mr. Dean and stop this madness after the PA., NC, & Ind. primaries; and send the Clintons home.

March 28, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  12. Megan

This is exactly why I can not "declare" myself a democrat. I also have a hard time saying "republican". Independant works but then I can't vote in my state's primary. Gore LOST people! If you want McCain to win, put him back on the ticket. He is OLD SCHOOL. GOre/CLinton, talk about a fast way to disenfrachise our future (young voters). Please think of our future. Barry O'bama '08!

March 28, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  13. Hillary Supporter

If not Hilliary, then, yes, Gore.

March 28, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  14. Dave

Why would Gore say that? Both Hillary and Obama are working hard for this election. Why would he try to steal it away from them?
    I'm for Obama..but will choose Hillary over Gore. He had his chance..he shouldn't of picked that loser running mate.

March 28, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  15. Independent for Obama

What a dream a Gore/Obama ticket would be! I do agree that Al Gore may be able to broker a deal with the candidates. He is an amazing man, and I am sorry he did not get a chance to lead our country. He has been very quiet, which is actually the wise thing.

Hopefully the Democrats will come to their senses and realize that the politics of mutual-destruction will end up costing them the White House. Some one should talk to the Clintons, James Craville and the others who continue to attack Sen. Obama. Tell them its backfiring on them!

March 28, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  16. Fendley

Gore would be great!! Anybody except lying, unpatriotic Obama and his ungrateful for her Ivy League education wife. Cant stand to look at them. How dare they listen to that preacher. I will never believe they didnt agree with everything he said.

March 28, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  17. nick

Wow, here we have two of the strongest Democratic candidates we've seen in the past 10 years running for the nomination, and just because the campaign is getting competitive, people are willing to suggest that Al Gore may suddenly wind up at the top of the ticket?! Am I the only one that thinks this is pure nonsense?

P.S. We need to get rid of superdelegates and the electoral college. Let the people choose their own president!

March 28, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  18. Ron

Thw dems got what they deserve. Two candidates who deny, deny, deny and also lie, lie, lie......sound familar. They say this is the new direction. Not

March 28, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  19. Michael

My comment is not waiting moderation. You are not posting it at all! I checked on another computer. You have posted all of the pro-Obama comments and few pro-Hillary comments and I am keeping track and I am going to report CNN to the FCC when all my evidence and the evidence of others doing the same is accumulated!

March 28, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. Brian - Trinidad

He should stay out of it. The current Democrat leadership constantly ridicules and belittles the few like Gore and the Clintons that have delivered for the Dems at election time,pandering instead to the likes of Pelosi,Kennedy,Kerry and now Obama,who have never and will never deliver in November. He should let them fall on their faces.

March 28, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. No Hillary

While I love Al Gore, we don't need a "compromise candidate". To me the winner is whoever won most popular votes, most states and most pledged delegates. Why a "compromise candidate"?... why?... why?

Would we still be thinking about a "compromise candidate" if Hillary was ahead?

March 28, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. Justin

I personally love the idea of Gore being the compromise candidate. But I admit I've always been biased towards him.

Has anyone commisioned a poll to see if this is an acceptable solution to the mess? Someone should (hint hint hint...run with that CNN). A Poll of americans in general. A poll of democrats. A poll of independents. A poll of hispanics, blacks, & women. Get crackin' cnn.

March 28, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  23. David Bernard

Al Gore is absolutely the answer. He is the only democrat who can hands down decimate McCain, and who has the real experience, wisdom and vision to actually repair our society after 8 years of bumbling incompetence.

We are in deep trouble and when that phone rings at 3a.m., the only person who would answer it and really know what to do is Al Gore.

March 28, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  24. Mary in Oklahoma

Perhaps Al Gore is as fed up with the Democratic Party as I and other voters are. Howard Dean has not been an effective party leader and allowed votes in Michigan and Florida not to count. Also, he would have spoken out against the Senator Obama, a bigot and Marxist, for running.
    This is the most nasty and inept race for president I have seen in my 74 year. I will worry for my children and grandchildren if Senator Obama is elected. And this could be my last vote.
    Senator Obama's sitting in a church that teaches BLACK LIBERATION THEOLOGY for 20 years is unexceptable and he can not avoid the consequence of his actions. GORE, HELP US.

March 28, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  25. swatch

I have a better idea, why don't we split the democratic party in half. The supporters of OBAMA form one democratic party that follows rules, and the supporters of Clinton can form another party, a party that makes rules as they go? That way we can have three presidential candidates for the white house?

March 28, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |