March 28th, 2008

Obama gets key endorsement, Clinton talks economy

CNN

Watch Casey endorse Obama Friday.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama kicked off a multi-day bus tour in Pennsylvania Friday with a key endorsement and lingering controversy over his former pastor's racially sensitive comments.

Pennsylvania Sen. Bob Casey announced his support of Obama's White House bid on Friday at an event in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It's an endorsement that could give the Illinois senator a boost in the crucial primary state that votes April 22.

"He started this campaign as an underdog, but he knows what it's like to be a fighter," Casey said. "I've been impressed by so much watching this campaign ... impressed by his compassion, his strength, his ideas and I think especially ... under fire."

Casey told the crowd that he called Sen. Hillary Clinton on Thursday night to inform her of the decision. "She was gracious ... and we know that she's a great senator, she's a great leader," Casey added.

Obama accepted Casey's endorsement, saying "Bob is such gracious person. I did not press him on this endorsement. There are others I press," he said.

He said Casey's endorsement "meant more to me as any endorsement I've received on the trail because I knew it was coming from the heart."

Filed under: Bob Casey • Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Slap Stick, Florida

Way to Go Casey for not following in the steps of Rendell and Nutter Butter (what a joke!).

It is good to see those who are still making up their minds and not allowing the Clinton Machine to reek havoc!!

March 28, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. Lynn

Now its begun. I believe that I saw the next president of the United States in Portland, Oregon when Bill Richardson endorsed him. I'm sure we'll see more, he's obviously the person we need running this country, restoring our constitution and providing us a safe place to live.

March 28, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  3. Linda

Way to Go !
    Let's get our country united under a leader who has shown poise , grace and courage under fire. Pennsylvania pls close it out for us.

March 28, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. merle 7

Thanks senator for your much needed support especially prior to you states primary, every journey starts with a single step thank you for taking that step.

Obama 08!
    Democratic Victory to the white house !

March 28, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. polanco from NJ

Congratulations to senator Obama , I think this is a good one for him , this one should help him in PA.

March 28, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. DemocracyNow

This a big endorsement but you can expect the Hilary supporters to say it means nothing just wait and see.
    If Hillary had his endorsement it means something thats the way the Clinton Camapaign and Supporters operate .

I believe this not only helps Obama but will narror Clintons lead in PA .

He is an extremely popular US Congressman.

Also since Hillary lied about Nafta and Bosnia this will work in Senator Obama's favor.

Yes We Can 08

March 28, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. honkey white boy from cali

good job sen Casey help wake those poor people up in your state so they can see through the wool the Clinton's are trying to pull over the eyes of all Americans I hope she loses this state by double digits maybe then she might pull back and reconsider the fact she can not win unless she somehow lies, cheats, or steals her way in sounds like republican policy to me. Get out HRC your hurting the party and you are not bigger than the DNC. And she is not electable in the fall! too many people and press hate her! I am not one of them but i have no respect for her after her in your face lies.

Obama '08 !!!!! Yes we can

March 28, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. Lee Chang

Hello Democracy Now- get your facts right! – Nafta is Obama's goof.
    GO HILLARY GO.

March 28, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. troy of Mississippi

Thank God that the world is watching as Sen. Obama has said. when some are ready to count you out because you seem to be down, others are watch how you handle yourself while you are down, Obama has done a great job of showning the world that he is indeed a leader. Thanks to leaders like Sen. Casey, Richardson, and Dodds that can see thru the smoke. Bringing the party together one by one.

March 28, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. Veterans Love Obama

Keep up the good fight Obama!

The WORLD needs you!
    You are a GODSEND!!

March 28, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  11. Brian

Thank you for putting the full weight of your endorsement behind the best candidate for president, Sen. Casey!

Hopefully your's and the endorsement of another 25 Indiana lawmakers this week will be one more step towards clinching this for Sen. Obama so we can refocus our energy on November!

OBAMA '08!!!

March 28, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  12. Mike

Join the sinking Obama campaign, absolutely brilliant.

March 28, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  13. steve

That's great news!Clinton supporters say it doesn't matter with the endorsement.It sure does more people say they like obama the better.
    Obama' 08

March 28, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  14. Gary - Pa

Oh really??

Hillary has been the underdog ever since the press got behind her opponent in January, but she knows what it's like to be a fighter. I've watched her campaign under fire from all sides...youth, white men, black men and press pundits (to name a few) but I've seen her courage and strength remain constant and solid.

She will help us put our country back together again. She will rebuild our country financially and also create an atmosphere where we can, once again, regain the respect of countries abroad.

March 28, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  15. Debi

Obama does "better than expected"
    in Pennsylvania. He is a good man that tells the truth. Americans.

fs

March 28, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. Candi South Carolina

I am glad another silent person feel the need to help stop the Clinton attacks on the Democratic campaign. I hope Pennsylvania will be smart and help make Obama the nominee for the White House. I have been tracking the speeches and see that every punch and nasty attack from the Clinton campaign has made Obama stronger, wiser, and his need to ensure the American people they are Number One in this campaign. I applaud Obama for that because I feel he is making sure the negative stuff is being buried and put to rest. Although we have a lot of obstatcles in the way but Obama can make it because he is leading by e examples of John F. Kennedy and Marting Luther King. Obama the light is at the end of the tunnel and it is shinning bright and I hope you are watching for it everyday till you see the nomination. God Bless You

March 28, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. Let's get it right

This is the 10th day in a row that CNN has chosen a "BANNER HEADLINE" on cnn.com/politics with the word REV or WRIGHT in it.

Give us all a break and move on! I think it is funny when "reporters" state "what is Obama going to do get past this controversy?"...given the MSM are the only ones discussing it, I guess we will have to wait until another "tabloid" story comes along...WHere is Britney Spears when you need her?

March 28, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  18. TK

It will be a great disappointement for this great nation if he does not get elected. He would be one of those leaders people talk about for years to come. If we don't elect him and utilize his energy, it would be a disappointement of historic proportions.

March 28, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. Jeanie

Sen . Casay!! I know you are Catholic. Me too. I will now vote for Obama happily.

March 28, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Levae

Wake up America. Hillary doesn't care about the DNC, she only cares about the HRC.

March 28, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. Babu

Hillary supporters can always vote for McCain

March 28, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  22. Disgusted at Ignorance

Yay!! OBAMA '08!!!

and all you people who say you'll vote for McCain are just sore losers!
    Get over it!

Have you heard McCain talk about foreign policy and the economy?? SCARY STUFF! If you vote for McCain out of spite, then we will all know who to blame while the insanity of the Bush admin goes on...

Go Obama!!

March 28, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. Eric-PA

I voted for Casey in the last election. Knowing that he has endorsed Obama, I will vote Republican when Casey is up for re-election. lol

March 28, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  24. ds

Obama does not hate America or white people. Any allegations of this sort are straw-man arguments that informed people can see through. If any contempt for America is being revealed, it's not by Obama.

March 28, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. Shawna

I agree with Casey, every time I hear Obama speak I know that he will make an amazing president. Even the clinton campaign must feel the energy that he gives off, and draws people into being apart of this process, finally voters feel enthusiastic about positive changes in washington, not negative tactics and campaigning. Positivity surrounds Obama's campaign.

March 28, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |