March 31st, 2008

50 Cent no longer supports Clinton

50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.
50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton appears to have lost a high-profile backer to rival Barack Obama.

Rapper 50 Cent, who told Time magazine last September he was supporting the New York senator's White House bid, now says he has decided to shift his allegiance to Obama.

The multi-platinum star, born Curtis Jackson, told MTV News Friday that Obama's recent speech on race was the deciding factor for his decision.

"I heard Obama speak," he said. "He hit me with that he-just-got-done-watching-'Malcolm X,' and I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!'

"I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

But the musician also admitted he's lost interest in the protracted Democratic race, and may not support either candidate.

"To be honest, I haven't been following that anymore. I lost my interest," he said. "I listened to some of the debates and things that they were saying, and I just got lost in everything that was going on...Don't look for my vote, for me to determine nothing on that. Just say, '50 Cent, he don't know, so don't ask Fiddy.'

He also said he didn't think the country is ready for a black president.

"I just think there's people that might not be ready for an African-American president," he said. "It'll be an issue, believe it or not."

"You've got to be conscious of racism, period," he continued. "And it's still there. We don't deal with it as often as my grandparents did. My grandparents grew up in South Carolina, so they experienced the heart of that."

1. Michael-NYC

Well that settles it!

Everyone is going to back Obama now because 50 cent changed his mind.

WHATEVER CNN!!

Who cares!

March 31, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. Student in ATL

Why is this relevant?

March 31, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Sylvia

I guess we cannot point out "why" he feels he has to switch???

March 31, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  4. Angus McDugan

That's it.... This is the deciding factor in my voiting!!

March 31, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. MovingOn

okay I'm an Obama supporter but I read this and had to say, Huh?
    Is it a slow news day or something, CNN just trying to find things to keep the nomination process on the front page given we are looking at another 3 weeks before the next vote. Come on give me a break.

March 31, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. Kimberly in Texas

Great, another Obama supporter, but really, how is this serious news?

Obama 2008!

March 31, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  7. Fifty is Fabulous

Yo Fifty–I'm down with it.

LOL, I don't know this young man, but if he has the courage to switch from Hillary to Barack, his mother should be proud.

Obama 08

March 31, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  8. All for fairness

Yeah, CNN! Keep slapping Hillary. Your headlines are terribly
    biased.

March 31, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  9. Stavy

Who cares 50! At least his speech got your peak, now tell the rest of your friends what a better candidate Obama is.

March 31, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

This guy who claims to be hard core is a poser. He should have supported Obama from the beginning. And because of a speach he had a religious experience and crossed over from the dark side? Well, it's better than Johnny comes lately than never at all. Good job 50.

March 31, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. vanchava

hahaha

I'm an Obama supporter but

WHY IS THIS NEWS?

March 31, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. Antoine

why do we report this. He can't even vote felony charge. LOL

March 31, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  13. Matt W

Wow. What helpful, thoughtful, articulate remarks. Fiddy's comments have caused me to pause and carefully reevaluate what I think about everything in this Democratic race.

March 31, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  14. Talimee

I love how this is news.

March 31, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. Bob

Does his opinion really matter?

March 31, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  16. OJW

It must be sloooowwww blue Monday.... Are you serious "do you" really believe this is a worthy news story... I would fire you for this...

March 31, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Dina Phila., Pa

This is why he is rapping and not running for any position in politics. And that's a good thing!

March 31, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. Kim

Jeez who wants this ignorant idiot's vote anyway, nothing but a thug wanna be, rightfully so he should stick with Obama. two peas in a pod.

March 31, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. Clinton is a fraud

How is this news? Though I am an Obama supporter, but I don't think this belongs to the ticker.

March 31, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. Jonathan Braden

Was this petty news meant to mask the bigger story below about Obama's double-digit lead?

March 31, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. Joseph Claghorn

So he's "Obama to the end" in one sentence and immediately after he's lost his interest and doesn't even know if he'll vote?!? I guess we'll have to wait another four weeks for some real election news...

March 31, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. Ozone

50 cents is what he is worth.

March 31, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. Jordan - San Marcos TX

I'm an Obama supporter...but CNN please come on. The validity of his opnion can be summed up by his 2004 endorsement of G.W. Bush because he's "gangsta". I motion that we ban national coverage of celebrety endorsements (regardless of who they're endorsing), this is pretty...how can I say it, pretty dumb.

March 31, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  24. Eric-PA

Is he trying to say Malcolm X and Obama are similar? I do agree. Keep in mind Malcolm X was a big racist who divided this country.

March 31, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |