March 31st, 2008

50 Cent no longer supports Clinton

50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.
50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton appears to have lost a high-profile backer to rival Barack Obama.

Rapper 50 Cent, who told Time magazine last September he was supporting the New York senator's White House bid, now says he has decided to shift his allegiance to Obama.

The multi-platinum star, born Curtis Jackson, told MTV News Friday that Obama's recent speech on race was the deciding factor for his decision.

"I heard Obama speak," he said. "He hit me with that he-just-got-done-watching-'Malcolm X,' and I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!'

"I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

But the musician also admitted he's lost interest in the protracted Democratic race, and may not support either candidate.

"To be honest, I haven't been following that anymore. I lost my interest," he said. "I listened to some of the debates and things that they were saying, and I just got lost in everything that was going on...Don't look for my vote, for me to determine nothing on that. Just say, '50 Cent, he don't know, so don't ask Fiddy.'

He also said he didn't think the country is ready for a black president.

"I just think there's people that might not be ready for an African-American president," he said. "It'll be an issue, believe it or not."

"You've got to be conscious of racism, period," he continued. "And it's still there. We don't deal with it as often as my grandparents did. My grandparents grew up in South Carolina, so they experienced the heart of that."

1. PhillyinKY

Hey fiddy.......racism goes both ways buddy......belie-dat!

March 31, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. Channell from Boston

What the heck..is this news? I am sure Hillary is just so heart broken right now...LOL

March 31, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  3. pj

i'm on obama supporter, but must say, i'd rather that we didnt report on what an idiot like 50 cent thinks, wasn't posted as news on CNN. for crying out loud, he's a thug who got rich and famous because he lived to rap about his gun shot wounds, who the hell cares what he thinks is the answer to our political questions.

we should avoid this kind of nonsense.

March 31, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. Jordan - San Marcos TX

If this continues the Democratic party is going to make People Magazines sexist man of the year a superdelegate in 2012.

March 31, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Frank in Missouri

Hillary Clinton does not care about "50 Cents". If you don't have millions, you are not her friend.

You know, she would be more likable, but the time she spend in the battle in Vietnam, Bosnia and Iraq made her hard and bitter.

March 31, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  6. George

Who cares, his dirty music reminds me of obama's pastor. Hope he supports obama now. Wright preaches, obama gives speeches and 50 cent sings. There is your dream team.

March 31, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  7. Clifford

Ah, and we listed to these ganster rap racial vulgar artists why? What has this country become other than reporters reporting on non news about people that make little to no change in the world of politics. I'm sure 50 cents voters are either in jail or dead on the street.

March 31, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. Ratgurl

Welcome to the Obama support crew, Fiddy.

I think it's too bad that there are still people, both black & white, who think America's not ready for a black president. In my idealistic world, this country is ready for a LEADER – someone who can remove us from our current disastrous state and bring us back to being a respected and honorable (not to mention, awed) country. Seriously, who cares what the president's ethnicity is if he/she can regain the power, composure, and respect this country once had & rightfully deserves to have again.

Obama has it in him. Regardless of his race.

March 31, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. William

Being that most of his listeners are probably under the age of 18, this endorsement means nothing.

March 31, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. lois

Hillary lost if for sure now.

March 31, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. FELISA

sO!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  12. Michael

First he supports Hillary the neo Hitler, and now he switches to Obama?

I respect the hip-hop community alot, but Obama needs 50's endorsement like a hole in the head...

March 31, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. JIM

50 cent? 25 cent? who cares? Stick to that crap you call music.

March 31, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  14. what.

oh golly.

March 31, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  15. Ric

Pink was right. What happened to the dream of a girl president, she's dancing in a video for 50 Cent. I dont know if Obama should be impressed or saddened.

March 31, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  16. Mark

Am I the only one who finds what "Fiddy" says is hilarious when typed out?

March 31, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. Anna

BREAKING NEWS!!!

March 31, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  18. Young White Voters for Obama

. . . Fifty is entitled to his opinion and his vote.

Obama 08.

March 31, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  19. november_guest

What kind of stupid article is this? 50 cent supports Obama. 50 cent doesn't really care about or follow the Democratic race any more. 50 cent gets lost in the issues.

Slow news day?

March 31, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  20. VOTER FOR TRUTH, DIGNITY-OBAMA/EDWARDS 2008

Congratulations 50 Cents I am a white woman, retired professional and I have been for Obamaman from Day 1.............We need the new. Hillary and Bill are expert con artists. Bill is out there everyday making "The Clintons" look good. This last statement that Bill made, "The Clintons are not used to losing" is a very egotistical, "votersowe them." remark. It is a all about winning Power, Money and Prestige. That's all!!!!! A liar is a liar is a liar. We got 2 liars!!!!!!!!!

People for McCain are Rich. People for Hillary will be voting for the
    biggest con artist liars in History for President of the USA. Just what
    we need is another liar for President.

March 31, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  21. KM

I'm an Obama supporter but CNN, everytime someone chooses to endorse a candidate should NOT be breaking news. A slow day in the newsroom I see. Just wait, someone will say something stupid and you'll run that coverage for two weeks.

March 31, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  22. dani

Yup! Obama gets the robot college crowd and all the people looking for their 15 minutes of fame. Who cares, he won't make the general election so you may as well keep dreaming. Just like he stole the Illinois election, he won't steal this one, no matter how much the media pushes him on us and how the DNC is strong arming others to fall in line behind Obama.

I can hear it now, Al Qaeda will be looping those tapes of Wright, GD America, ...gave AIDS to the African Americans,,,, and Michelle Obama..America is mean! Get with the program.

March 31, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  23. Jordan - San Marcos TX

Jonathan's right...with a flood of endorsements, a new double digit national lead and the "revelation" that Hillary basically cannot win at this point without killing the Democrats chances against McCain...distractions like this do nothing but harm political discourse and keep people's minds off of the fact that this race is not nearly as close as the media is casting it today.

Obama is going to pick up 7 to 9 delegates in the Texas caucuses. He's getting a new superdelegate endorsement seemingly every day. A win for Hillary is about as likely as coming back from 15 points down in the final minute of a basketball game.

March 31, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. Grif

Fifty percent No Longer Support,,, Obama.

Oppinions don't count Mr Lady.... You must have super Fast Feet..

To get around the way you say,, To Con the Average.Public...

March 31, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  25. James

Obama double digit lead is 2 days old. CNN report the facts. As of 3/30 it id 51 % vs 43% towards Obama.

Always the spinner.

Wake up people before it is to late!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |