March 31st, 2008
1 year ago

50 Cent no longer supports Clinton

50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.
50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton appears to have lost a high-profile backer to rival Barack Obama.

Rapper 50 Cent, who told Time magazine last September he was supporting the New York senator's White House bid, now says he has decided to shift his allegiance to Obama.

The multi-platinum star, born Curtis Jackson, told MTV News Friday that Obama's recent speech on race was the deciding factor for his decision.

"I heard Obama speak," he said. "He hit me with that he-just-got-done-watching-'Malcolm X,' and I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!'

"I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

But the musician also admitted he's lost interest in the protracted Democratic race, and may not support either candidate.

"To be honest, I haven't been following that anymore. I lost my interest," he said. "I listened to some of the debates and things that they were saying, and I just got lost in everything that was going on...Don't look for my vote, for me to determine nothing on that. Just say, '50 Cent, he don't know, so don't ask Fiddy.'

He also said he didn't think the country is ready for a black president.

"I just think there's people that might not be ready for an African-American president," he said. "It'll be an issue, believe it or not."

"You've got to be conscious of racism, period," he continued. "And it's still there. We don't deal with it as often as my grandparents did. My grandparents grew up in South Carolina, so they experienced the heart of that."

1. BHO

Shifting trend started and it will go until the general election in November.

March 31, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Real

GGGGGGG-G-UNIT

March 31, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. Shawna

First hillary supporters say we want every vote to count well guess what he is voter and his opinion count for just as much as anyone else.

March 31, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. Anti-Obama

Ha...ha..ha...!!!. I found this is so funny and ridiculous!. That's why 50 cents is African-American and so is Obama!.

Once again, shame on Obama and Obama's people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

March 31, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. Eddie G

How clueless is he? I supported one, but now I support the other, but don't think I will vote because I have lost interest. Vote for Obama, but not because "half a dollar" with half a brain says to....

March 31, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. Susan

I'm sure Obama is thrilled!

March 31, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Sammy

Wow - what an incredibly lame "endorsement" coming from Mr. Cent.

I'm an Obama supporter too, and I am also a musician. I just have a much clearer view of things. To voice your support for Mr. Obama, vote for him in every election that you can. And send him some money. And tell all of your friends to support him as well. But don't say "I support Obama" and then, in the same breath, say "but I ain't gonna vote, and I don't think that he's going to win."

That kind of fatalism (or apathy) is dangerous. We need great change. Vote with your dollars, vote with your feet, and vote with your voice.

- Sammy

Boston, MA

March 31, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. VOTER FOR TRUTH, DIGNITY-OBAMA/EDWARDS 2008

Richardson NEW more about The Clintons than most people.
    He did not owe them, he owed us the truth. That took courage.
    Anyone that "expect to win" does not respect the American Voters
    who are very, very Smart says Simon Cowell of voters.

March 31, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. Please don't keep me waiting in moderation.

AND THIS IS NEWS HOW???????

March 31, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. Vivian

Why are you guys reporting what this spoiled celebrity has to say? I'm for Obama but COME NOW!

March 31, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  11. Rosa

Does not matter to me who 50 votes for. What matters to me is, who I vote for and that, is Sen. Obama!

March 31, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  12. Dan, Washington DC

I don't think this is the image Obama is going for...

March 31, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  13. Phillip Bunn , Bailey NC

When 50 cent gets to be a dollar, let me know. Until then, he's small change, barely taxable.

14. Smiley

I like 50 Cent but who cares about his opinion? Isn't he a felon? If so, then that means he can't vote anyway...LOL

50, get back in the studio and start working on another album. The last one was garbage!

15. Aaron

Now can we get to the question on everyone's mind... who does Brittney Spears favor?

16. Kevin, Louisville, Ky

Oh no ..we do not need this dude...please stay with Clinton...please . please, please .....

BTW who cares !!

17. Xavier, Washington, DC

This just in. A group of homeless guys in front of Union Station have formally endorsed Obama citing his recent recent donation of 53 cents to a fellow homeless guy in Pittsburgh.

Come on CNN. I'm a huge Obama supporter but I'm pissed that I wasted 48 seconds skimming through this article. I can never get those 48 seconds back.

18. sozzi

Who cares about 50 cent. Sorry, you must stay with your first pick, no switching allowed, unless you're a super-delegate.

19. Ronald

Newsworth? Show us those taxes Hillary!

20. Obama 08

CNN I DO SUPPORT BARACK BUT DANG THIS IS NOT NEWS SO WHAT IF A RICH GANG BANGER SWITCH FROM HILLARY.
    AND FOR ALL OF YOU IF BARACK LOSE THE NOM I WILL VOTE FOR HILLARY I HOPE YOU ALL DO THE SAME WE DON'T NEED MCWAR IN THE WHITE HOUSE SOMEONE THAT STAYS IF IT TAKE 100 YEARS TO WIN THE WAR THAT'S WHAT HE WILL DO

21. truth please

Kim, I wasn't going to comment on this article but I am so tired of mostly women calling Sen. Obama ignorant. Over half of the people who call this man ignorant, can't spell or put a sentence together. If you don't like the man it's okay, but don't call him ignorant because he is not. I am a woman and I have always spent more time with men because when women attack it is more vicious. They won't stop until they destroy you.

22. Texican

So it is not about Race. Give me a Break. It's all about Race or Gender with the Demorats. That is why they will lose in November.
    Between Race, Gender and Age. I'll take age. Age means experience, knowledge and Wisdom. Something that Barak doesn't have and Hillary wishes she had. 50 cents will not get you a cup of coffee anywhere in the Country.

23. Amy Kathleen

Oh for pity's sake, no one should care about this, no matter who he supported. I never understood why celebrity endorsements are a big deal, why we should think that actors and musicians are more politically savvy than ordinary Americans. CNN hits a new low.

24. Arnold T Pants