March 31st, 2008
1 year ago

50 Cent no longer supports Clinton

50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.
50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton appears to have lost a high-profile backer to rival Barack Obama.

Rapper 50 Cent, who told Time magazine last September he was supporting the New York senator's White House bid, now says he has decided to shift his allegiance to Obama.

The multi-platinum star, born Curtis Jackson, told MTV News Friday that Obama's recent speech on race was the deciding factor for his decision.

"I heard Obama speak," he said. "He hit me with that he-just-got-done-watching-'Malcolm X,' and I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!'

"I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

But the musician also admitted he's lost interest in the protracted Democratic race, and may not support either candidate.

"To be honest, I haven't been following that anymore. I lost my interest," he said. "I listened to some of the debates and things that they were saying, and I just got lost in everything that was going on...Don't look for my vote, for me to determine nothing on that. Just say, '50 Cent, he don't know, so don't ask Fiddy.'

He also said he didn't think the country is ready for a black president.

"I just think there's people that might not be ready for an African-American president," he said. "It'll be an issue, believe it or not."

"You've got to be conscious of racism, period," he continued. "And it's still there. We don't deal with it as often as my grandparents did. My grandparents grew up in South Carolina, so they experienced the heart of that."

1. Broseph

This guy is a fool. I support Obama, but if you're going to comment on politics like this guy is doing, at least be an informed voter.

March 31, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  2. Marc in DeKalb, IL

Slow Monday. I mean, jolly good and all of that, but if I wasn't already in opposition to Clinton, 50 Cent changing sides isn't exactly going to convince me of a single thing.

March 31, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. Paul

50 cents or 10 cents....you are an idiot. All the money in the world and your thought process is vertical to a kindergardener! It is very clear that you lack some very elementary verbal skills. Leave the poilitical race to the other moranic news anchors to figure out.

March 31, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Sam Rose

Must be a tough news day........Is this really news CNN?

March 31, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. Dave

Who cares!

March 31, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. Gov-vie

If anything, 50's support of Obama could be hurful. Really....who wants a moron publicly backing them "getting his Malcolm X on"!?!

C'mon CNN. You are better than this.

GO OBAMA!

March 31, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  7. Exodus

Geee i wonder if he is even registered to vote. I cant wait till the high and mighty fall in November. McCain will be smiling and Clinton will be glad it wasnt her that took the beating. I am a Clinton supporter but after this sexist rampage brought upon her I would never support Obama, therefore i will not vote at ALL.

March 31, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  8. gerard morei

Who is 50 pennies anyway?
    I will vote for the whole dollar,
    THAT IS HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  9. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

Fiddy be one prescient dude.

March 31, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. CCW

This is proof that the nomination process has gone on too long.

Obama '08

March 31, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. kathe oakland, california

KIM: You see that is what Senator Obama is attempting to STOP – making judgements of people you do not know nor do you understand. To call this rapper a "thug" and no good ......YOU ARE THE THUG AND NO GOOD as this is America and fortunately you and anyone else can voice their opinion, whether it is helpful or not.
    So please, don't presume that you are so "high and mighty" Missy – you are the PROBLEM IN AMERICA – you have no desire obviously to be UNITED in this country just by your very negative and false statements just because he./she is a rapper.
    POOR YOU KIM

March 31, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  12. fred

Oh well ,, No big loss on Hillary's part... Couldn't you see this coming.
    Black on Black once again... Big deal

March 31, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  13. bill pike

Obama's talk on race will be taught in public schools 50 years from now along with King's sermons. WHAT A MESSAGE FROM THIS YOUNG MAN.

March 31, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Pennsylvanians! DON'T FALL FOR IT!

I'm not sure what his backing means to the party (NOT MUCH), but he has proven what Obama stated in his speech regarding the old timers; blacks have made advances but to believe that discrimination is over, would be naive!

White females have an easier time in getting high power jobs than blacks do. Hopefully we're closer to minimizing the color gap then ever before; this nomination will give us an indication.

March 31, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. smart grrl in ls mo

Obama can have him.

March 31, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. Kris from AZ

Totally understand that there is still racism but boundries need to be broken. Obama is clearing the way for the highest office to be held in the USA. Will there ever be a time America will be ready for a black, brown, yellow and purple president? Lets start now.

March 31, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. Jon

But, no, this campaign isn't about race!

March 31, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. Edd

And this is relevant because????? C'mon CNN, you can do better news than this???? Trivial things will not make this nation great?

Enough with this phony endorsements, focus on the real issue? 50 Cents, as well as other Obama supporters are blinded by garbage rhetorics!

HILLARY will make a better case for this nation! The smart choice for us smart people!

March 31, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. CCW

is he a superdelagte...I think we are fishing for news now.

Obama '08

March 31, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. Keith, GA

Um, has anyone pointed out his opinion does not matter? Why?... because he's a convicted felon! Convicted felons can't vote yo!

March 31, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. California Voter

Please CNN, this article does not meet the smell test to even be a part of he political ticker. You never even mentioned that John Glenn endorsed Clinton and now you're noting a change of who, 50 cents, what?

March 31, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. breanna

OMG. Do I really care what this guy thinks? Does he have an education, any at all? Does he use drugs or alcohol? Does he degrade women in his videos? How many kids does he have and with how many women? The answers to these questions will tell me if his support is worth anything at all. I have a feeling that hes just another rapper raised in the hood and prone to violence who doesnt want to hold down a real job like most productive citizens do and just wants fast money with as little work as possible. yea I said it but everyone thunk it.

March 31, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. Ericka

I find it interesting that we all (including myself) think that this story represents a sad, sad day in american journalism...yet, we all read it? Gripe all you want, this story, in all of its pathetic-ness, just gave us something to talking about. Maybe that was the point of the coverage, eh?

March 31, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  24. Emma

Who cares who 50 Cent supports..................he is an American citizen and if he is so unconcerned for his future and is not watching the political drama unfolding before his very own eyes, then again, who cares? I am so glad he is not a true representative of his age generation.

He can keep up with the latest dance and music but his brain won't allow him 15 minutes to absorb the politics of the day..................his grandparents in South Carolina must be astonished that he does not intend to vote....................maybe you need to find out what it means to be poor again!

March 31, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  25. Tom, Cville, VA

I strongly support Obama, but I'm at a loss to see why I should care what "Fiddy" has to say. From what little I've heard of his music–I use the term loosely–he doesn't seem like a particularly valuable commentator, and his comments in this story are muddled at best. Next story: "Some Guy at the Mall Supports Nader!"

March 31, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |