March 31st, 2008
1 year ago

50 Cent no longer supports Clinton

50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.
50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton appears to have lost a high-profile backer to rival Barack Obama.

Rapper 50 Cent, who told Time magazine last September he was supporting the New York senator's White House bid, now says he has decided to shift his allegiance to Obama.

The multi-platinum star, born Curtis Jackson, told MTV News Friday that Obama's recent speech on race was the deciding factor for his decision.

"I heard Obama speak," he said. "He hit me with that he-just-got-done-watching-'Malcolm X,' and I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!'

"I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

But the musician also admitted he's lost interest in the protracted Democratic race, and may not support either candidate.

"To be honest, I haven't been following that anymore. I lost my interest," he said. "I listened to some of the debates and things that they were saying, and I just got lost in everything that was going on...Don't look for my vote, for me to determine nothing on that. Just say, '50 Cent, he don't know, so don't ask Fiddy.'

He also said he didn't think the country is ready for a black president.

"I just think there's people that might not be ready for an African-American president," he said. "It'll be an issue, believe it or not."

"You've got to be conscious of racism, period," he continued. "And it's still there. We don't deal with it as often as my grandparents did. My grandparents grew up in South Carolina, so they experienced the heart of that."

1. Stafford

Please CNN. Let's reserve the Politicalticker for real news! Everytime you guys appear above the rest in news coverage – You do something like this. I might as well start reading FOX news! Never fair and always unbalanced.

Obama 08

March 31, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. John Smith

Someone needs to help explain HOW you can count (percentages) the votes in FL amd MI among: Hillary, Edwards (who was in the race at the time), and Obama. I wait to read your comments. Thank you.

March 31, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Race candidate

Once again it proves that Obama is a black candidate.

March 31, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. Johnson

To all the hillary supporters. When she does more than cough or sneeze and maybe get some endorsements, then it can be posted by cnn. Consider that Hillary has done NOTHING at all recently other than all her "mispeakings" there really hasn't been anything to post. Stop getting so offended by people posting THE TRUTH at a new site. Its not like cnn is fabricating the truth and changing it up. News is the news..its up to the reports to report it..and its up to the people to take it however they want.

March 31, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. Kyle

This is beyond lame, seriously.

March 31, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. jessie

Forget 50 cents, this story is not relevent. One of the major problems with Obama's electibility is that he could not win the crucial big blue states and the swing states which the dem nominee would need to win in the general election. Maybe he'd win California, but he's going to have major problems with Ohio, PA, and even Florida which the Dem desparately need in order to win in November. Also, the reason he's ahead in delegates is because of winning mostly the caucuses. There will be no caucuses in the general election. That's why I think Obama is not going to win the election if he's nominated.

March 31, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  7. ashley

50 support obama!!ok!!!!so what?? who cares??please give me a break!come one CNN . i know ya can give better news !!!!

March 31, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. z,new york, ny

Who cares! What good is he if he might not even vote? That's NOT a good example.

March 31, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  9. rock bam

Go'bama
    you're gonna win this
    we're gonna party 'cause you're gonna win this
    change the country when you win this

March 31, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. EDW

This was weak journalism, however the piece on Hillary today loving the Rolling Stones was weak as well. Who cares!

Obama '08

March 31, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Vince

Instead of reporting this, why not bring up the fact that Clinton's campaign manager made 200k working for a sub-prime loaning company.

Wouldn't that be a more interesting substantive story?

March 31, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. Margeaux

But isn't this typical of a lot of Obama supporters. They are not following the race, they just hear one speech and think the guy is god.

March 31, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. ray

I wonder who Britney Spears endorses...

March 31, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. Susan

America, please vote for Clinton. Our family, at first was leaning for Obama, but NOT NOW. He appears to be 'star struck' and will say anything to be in the news. Not good. Do not be afraid to vote for a woman for our President. We have women lawyers, doctors, and the majority of teachers are women......who teach our children.

Please go for Hillary Clinton.

March 31, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  15. zina

This is so silly. I'm an Obama supporter and I would like real news.

Please and Thank you.

Obama '08

March 31, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. OK

If we all start to base our voting decisions on those of a person who is completely unable to speak the English language in an intelligible manner, and who doesn't know politics from popsicles, then we might as well kiss our nation goodbye.

March 31, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. Velle

WOW, I can't believe you people! NO, its "news" up-staged only by the discovery that the Earth is...oh yeah, ROUND! But give the guy a break already. I'm no fan of RAP, but I'll take this oppprtunity to soapbox a bit:
    This is the first "interactive" election and we're shaming ourselves! Why all this rage, animus and bitterness? People, there is something VERY, VERY important going on and many of us are just using these blogs to offer "clever" snipes at one another and our candidates. In a very few months, the path and well-being of our country will be in the hands of one of these folks. All this "Jerry Springer Show" auditions should stop. We're hurting our election process, our parties and our dignity! The World is watching and we're behaving like children. Let's aspire to better. If we want change then WE have to take part in it! Let's start anew and really focus on the task at hand. Our founding fathers struggled to give us this opportunity. Its not a freak show!

Obama '08

March 31, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. Rob

This is sad on so many levels. As previously mentioned, how in the name of god is this news? This is a deplorable human being, and his "support" should be viewed as a negative if anything lol. Just go ahead and re-direct "Cnn.com" to "barackobama.com" as that's where this site already is pretty much. Such bias...

March 31, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  19. broadstreet buddy

50 is no kind of endorsement. Just because he says he likes Obama does not mean all black people now like Obama.

But he is right that there is a large percentage of America that does not want to see a Black president. He is not racist, he is just a black person calling it like he sees it.

This is not real news, but Hillary Clinton not paying close to 8 million dollars in debts, to blue collar workers and working americans, some of whom supported her and voted for her, IS news!!! If Hillary can not manage a campaign budget how is she going to handle a National budget. If she is stiffing hard working americans now, what is she going to do in Office?? Report on this CNN, get on your game!!

March 31, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  20. whatever

Aren't you people all the same pretend to support hillary then turn around and support your own black

People like you are hippos

March 31, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. Paris

I am sure he was pressured to this.

March 31, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  22. Ida

Wow... even 50 cent saw the light and good for him. There is still hope for the rest Hillary's supporters to get on the winning side... if they would for a minute open their eyes and ears and hearts and see beyond Obama's colours which are both black and white, but above all brilliant.

March 31, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. Sly in Seattle

LOL! This is funny.. hopefully 50 really involves himself in politics.. he could have a lot of influence on the people who really follow him.

OBAMA 08!

March 31, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  24. FED UP IN SEATTLE

I'M A DEMOCRAT BUT IF HILLARY WILL NOT GET THE NOMINATION, I WILL VOTE MCCAIN. I CAN'T POSSIBLY VOTE FOR SOMEONE INTELLIGENT YET BORROWING WORDS AND IDEAS FROM SOMEONE ELSE. YEAH... JUST WORDS....AND I DON'T BELIEVE OBAMA DOES NOT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AT THEIR CHURCH.
    KEEP DEMORALIZING HILLARY AND MCCAIN WILL WIN IN NOVEMBER. I WOULD RATHER VOTE MCCAIN THAN OBAMA DUE TO THE FACT THAT HIS RESUME IS MUCH MORE WORTH IT.

I HOPE YOU AT CNN WILL POST THIS SINCE YOU LOVE OBAMA TO BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT!

March 31, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. my 2 cents on 50 cents

Some endorsements are better served unmentioned. This guy is not news worthy.

Keep the change next time CNN.

March 31, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |