March 31st, 2008
1 year ago

50 Cent no longer supports Clinton

50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.
50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton appears to have lost a high-profile backer to rival Barack Obama.

Rapper 50 Cent, who told Time magazine last September he was supporting the New York senator's White House bid, now says he has decided to shift his allegiance to Obama.

The multi-platinum star, born Curtis Jackson, told MTV News Friday that Obama's recent speech on race was the deciding factor for his decision.

"I heard Obama speak," he said. "He hit me with that he-just-got-done-watching-'Malcolm X,' and I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!'

"I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

But the musician also admitted he's lost interest in the protracted Democratic race, and may not support either candidate.

"To be honest, I haven't been following that anymore. I lost my interest," he said. "I listened to some of the debates and things that they were saying, and I just got lost in everything that was going on...Don't look for my vote, for me to determine nothing on that. Just say, '50 Cent, he don't know, so don't ask Fiddy.'

He also said he didn't think the country is ready for a black president.

"I just think there's people that might not be ready for an African-American president," he said. "It'll be an issue, believe it or not."

"You've got to be conscious of racism, period," he continued. "And it's still there. We don't deal with it as often as my grandparents did. My grandparents grew up in South Carolina, so they experienced the heart of that."

1. B in NC

Celebrity endorsements...yawwwwwnnnnn.

March 31, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. Jane, Dallas

Exactly, 50 cents is what he is worth for. Can never be even $1.00! Not surprise if he joined his club so late.

March 31, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. Joyce in Florida

Way to go Ozone. You are so right. Who really cares? He probably can't vote anyway.

GO HILLARY 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. Susan West

What an idiot. And what a failure! He's in a position to be such a role model for Black youths but he dropped the ball...talking about "he's lost interest". Way to go, stoopmo!! If you can't say anything that makes any sense, then keep your mouth shut.

March 31, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  5. MORONS

I see, so because Obama reminds him of Malcolm X, now he is for him?????

March 31, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. Florida voter

That's great another flip-flopper. Traitor. Vote Hillary 08!

March 31, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. Luke

who cares.

March 31, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. Byron

Since this is a PRIMARY for a NATIONAL ELECTION, why does each state have the right to set the date for voting. As with the GENERAL ELECTION which is set as the first Tuesday in November "NATIONALLY", why are the individual states allowed to set their own dates for the PRIMARIES. This has created more havoc or at least as much as the George W. Bush Presidency.

March 31, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  9. Stacy Clarks,

WHO CARES!!! (mind you, I am an Obama supporter), but I will not be bragging about this "endorsement"

I do not care for someone who raps about money, cars, and hoes
    (and I am African America, but I am for people who uplift others, and bring positivity to the neighborhood, but NOT 50.....YES TO OBAMA, NO TO 50 CENT!!!!)

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. Renee Las Vegas NV

Benny
    I don't know who you support...but that was a Good One! LOL

March 31, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. Jeff Harmon

Dont ask Fiddy

March 31, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. vic nashville,Tn

I hope he will support Mc Cain after November

March 31, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. Susan

It surprises me that people think it's ok to just "lose interest" in our countries presidential election. I wonder how many people that are paying attention have noticed that our votes don't actually count at all. It doesn't matter at all that Clinton or Obama won in what state. (The delegates and Super delegates can switch sides at will between Obama and Clinton) Our votes really don't count at all.
    And back to the part of how Some people think it's ok to " lose interest", How can you hear someone speak 1 time and feel you know that person enough to support them in our presidential office? (and I don't care if it is Clinton, Obama, or McCain...) People need to research things before they make huge decisions like this. But to say "I've lost interest" truly shocks me because without the people in this country of ours that you enjoy so much, You wouldn't be Worth .50 cents without them. Wake up and take an interest in your country people!

March 31, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. The Game

I would hope this fake buster would shut up and drink some vitamin water.

Wasn't he the one who liked Bush cause he was aka "Gangster" like 50....lol...this silly man!

March 31, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  15. Toni

Yes he switched his vote to Obama–but he also said he was not going to vote!!

Must be a verrrrrrrrrrry slow news day–or the only negative thing you can dig up on Hillary Clinton

March 31, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  16. lagosboy

Who is this Guy?

March 31, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  17. Mark

Cool CNN. Now, what about the Wayen's Brother's? Where do they stand?

Obama08!

March 31, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  18. Patrick, Lake Stevens, WA

Are you guys kidding? After reading his reasons why he now supports Obama, is Curtis, aka 50 cenrt, Jackson's support for either democratic candidate relevant news or just comic relief for CNN?

March 31, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  19. sophia nyc

Can anyone translate?

Ok just kidding. But what kind of "news" is this he admitted he won't be voting.

March 31, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  20. Marc

"...I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!' ...I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

Believe it or not, this is why Obama has been doing so well. He's got some truly uninformed supporters who are attracted to him the way a young person is attracted to a rapper or rock star. Unfortunately, no matter how may celebrities that come out, it won't outnumber the amout of blue-collar and senior citizen voters that Hillary will take.

March 31, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  21. Dude

Kim writes:

"Jeez who wants this ignorant idiot's vote anyway, nothing but a thug wanna be, rightfully so he should stick with Obama. two peas in a pod."
    -–

Two peas in a pod? I would love to hear the details on how Obama is a thug. What, did he bang with the bloods growing up in Hawaii? Maybe he was a rollin 60 crip back at Harvard. Seriously, are you bitter, an idiot, or racist?

March 31, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. nilda

Oh my god! I just lost 2 minutes of my life that I will never get back reading this non-news!

Obama '08

March 31, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  23. Andrienne

CNN, this is not news! I don't care what 50 Cent is doing/voting for!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  24. blair

I am a Democrat and for Berry Obama followers to say I don't deserve to vote because I will not vote for Berry Obama if he should get the nomination, are the ones that need to get a reality check. McCain is not my choice but I will do nothing to help Berry Obama get in the White House. This is the First time I have been totally against someone. So if Berry is nominated I will vote for McCain to save the United States from total destruction he would bring.

March 31, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |