March 31st, 2008
1 year ago

50 Cent no longer supports Clinton

50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.
50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton appears to have lost a high-profile backer to rival Barack Obama.

Rapper 50 Cent, who told Time magazine last September he was supporting the New York senator's White House bid, now says he has decided to shift his allegiance to Obama.

The multi-platinum star, born Curtis Jackson, told MTV News Friday that Obama's recent speech on race was the deciding factor for his decision.

"I heard Obama speak," he said. "He hit me with that he-just-got-done-watching-'Malcolm X,' and I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!'

"I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

But the musician also admitted he's lost interest in the protracted Democratic race, and may not support either candidate.

"To be honest, I haven't been following that anymore. I lost my interest," he said. "I listened to some of the debates and things that they were saying, and I just got lost in everything that was going on...Don't look for my vote, for me to determine nothing on that. Just say, '50 Cent, he don't know, so don't ask Fiddy.'

He also said he didn't think the country is ready for a black president.

"I just think there's people that might not be ready for an African-American president," he said. "It'll be an issue, believe it or not."

"You've got to be conscious of racism, period," he continued. "And it's still there. We don't deal with it as often as my grandparents did. My grandparents grew up in South Carolina, so they experienced the heart of that."

1. Gerald

Who gives a crap about what 50 Cent thinks? Why CNN thought his opinions as newsworthy is beyond me. And I am a loyal Obama supporter anyway

March 31, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. CaliMale4Hill

hmm, Obama's constituency, it fugures! I am waiting for all African Americans to turn their backs on Hillary.

Go Hillary 2008

March 31, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Oh! The Irony

Why?

Why is this political news?
    Why even post this?
    Why would you care who 50 supports?
    Why does 50's opinion matter when he's a convicted felon who can't vote?
    Why not dedicate more coverage to Obama's double digit lead amidst the Wright controversy?

I'm a true hip-hop fan to the core. I also love politics, but in this case 50's opinon means nothing. CNN, please go find some real news.

Obama '08

March 31, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. SMARTEN UP!

Actually Eric, Malcolm X was NOT a racist. He changed his views after converting to real Islam, not the Nation of Islam. Youtube the speech he gave after coming back from Mecca, he acknowledges his mistakes.

In regards to 50, he is a moron. Why don't you concentrate on getting rid of your filthy, offensive lyrics, then talk about who you're going to vote for!! This is coming from a young woman who listens to rap with a message.

March 31, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. Hillary C

Well, that settles it. If 50 is backing OB, I will drop from the race.

March 31, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  6. Mikka

Aw Man, Go back to supporting Hillary 50, PLEASE!

And CNN, you really have NOTHING better or more relevant to report?

March 31, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. Rlewis Tx

FANTABALOUUUUUUUSSSSSSS, ANOTHER OBAMA SUPPORTER !

March 31, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  8. Novote

This just tells you that the choice between Obama and Clinton is a race thing. While whites are becoming non-racial, the blacks are not.

March 31, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  9. Ric

Obama’s Story About Dad’s Kennedy Link is ‘Confused'. Another lie? Not from Obama! Really? He got 1961 confused with 1965? Did he misspeak?

March 31, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  10. Utah Teacher

Because 50 Cent's political prowess is force to be reckoned with...
    Next it will be who Lindsay Lohan is, like, totally gonna vote for.

March 31, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. ner

HE DOESN'TH WORTH A SINLE PENNY

March 31, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  12. Richard Colon, New York, USA

Wow! What an endorsement? Is this kind of "stupidity" news?
    Please...maybe he needs 25 cents. LOL

March 31, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  13. jj

did anyone read WHY he switched. Because of the speach about racism. Again race is shoved down all of our throats this election. Enough, it's not going to stop. Obama's people brought it up and that is why they cheated, they pressure blacks to vote black to get changes for you,. heck with the white folk, they don't matter, just us. As far as the caucus's go, boy were they rigged. Just check with some of the Clinton people who went, especially if they were black. It's always been about race as far as Obama's camp is concerned, they used it in the beginning to get him the votes then. I hope people see him for what he is until we see diffferently in time. Time will tell.

March 31, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  14. Jay

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

LOL!

WOw...that is the funniest thing I've heard all day! :o)

March 31, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  15. Go Hillary

I'm not suprised –
    Go Hillary !!!

March 31, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Martin

I didn't even know "Fiddy" still existed. His last CD stunk and he owes me $13.95. I'm for Obama but how is this news and shouldn't we be wondering why Hillary can's pay her bills. I mean wasn't her team staying at the Ritz. you would think they would have put some money away for her Bills.

March 31, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. Shaun Deshede

I'm an Obama supporter. I don't get how this at all matters to ANYONE? If anyone is voting for a candidate based on who 50 cent supports, this country is going down the drain.

March 31, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. Richard Irvine CA

I'm like, who cares, like.

March 31, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  19. Susan

Why won't he vote? Because "America's not ready for a black president" or because he has "lost interest" . That part of his interview is just sad, that someone so privileged can't take the time to vote. I am an Obama supporter, and I hope he will educate himself about his duty as an American. We have a chance to elect a great president this year, Barack Obama.

March 31, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. mp

Not sure how important this particular endorsement is for Obama – and not sure how newsworthy it is...Come on CNN, you can do better than this, yes?

March 31, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  21. games

Why is this news

March 31, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. gregg45

i just decided to turn black,,,, that was the most inspiring statement , sermo n i have listened, read,or seen on tv radio, internet,,, 50 cent,, thank you so much,,,,,, again, thank you from the bottom of my soon to turn black heart,,, oh , btw,, thanks for the news cnn,,, here in wonderland ,, we are never amazed by the news you present,,,, greg in pinehurst nc

March 31, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  23. Oprah, IL

Brother, please go back to the candy shop. This is serious business Mr. Fiddy (sense-less). CNN please! No more rappers on 'roids!!

March 31, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Ladyleo Atlanta

They are switching to Obama one at a time.

March 31, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  25. josh

50 IS A HAS BEEN ANYWAY GOOD RIDDANCE GO WITH YOUR FAMILY, THATS HOW YOU PEOPLE ARE AND IM PUERTO RICAN AND WE ARE LOYAL AND IM WITH AND WILL BE FOR CLINTON..............

March 31, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |