March 31st, 2008
1 year ago

50 Cent no longer supports Clinton

50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.
50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton appears to have lost a high-profile backer to rival Barack Obama.

Rapper 50 Cent, who told Time magazine last September he was supporting the New York senator's White House bid, now says he has decided to shift his allegiance to Obama.

The multi-platinum star, born Curtis Jackson, told MTV News Friday that Obama's recent speech on race was the deciding factor for his decision.

"I heard Obama speak," he said. "He hit me with that he-just-got-done-watching-'Malcolm X,' and I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!'

"I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

But the musician also admitted he's lost interest in the protracted Democratic race, and may not support either candidate.

"To be honest, I haven't been following that anymore. I lost my interest," he said. "I listened to some of the debates and things that they were saying, and I just got lost in everything that was going on...Don't look for my vote, for me to determine nothing on that. Just say, '50 Cent, he don't know, so don't ask Fiddy.'

He also said he didn't think the country is ready for a black president.

"I just think there's people that might not be ready for an African-American president," he said. "It'll be an issue, believe it or not."

"You've got to be conscious of racism, period," he continued. "And it's still there. We don't deal with it as often as my grandparents did. My grandparents grew up in South Carolina, so they experienced the heart of that."

1. Yolanda Diaz

So what...big deal...

March 31, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Michelle, Indiana

The Clinton Kool-Aid must be wearing off people are coming to their senses.

March 31, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  3. A&A

coming from a sexist homophobic person it is good news...we don't need people like that on Hillary's side

March 31, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. AmpleMan from Orlando

Fiddy has a vote, and he is a public figure as a celebrity, so he gets to announce his vote publicly. Celebs need face time to reach more customers, so they make public statements about their votes to buzz up their fans. Watch real soon for an endorsement from Joan Rivers!

March 31, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  5. Praetorian, Fort Myers

I do hope that hat and jacket is just for show. Because the man can mangle the english language–dangerus mos def!!

What a guy.

March 31, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  6. Karen P

This is just one person's opinion, not the rest of the nation. I don't know, sounds like a story more for Entertainment Tonight than a CNN news exclusive.

March 31, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  7. giriraj

he cannot even vote with all the felony he has

March 31, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. Stephen

yes, yes...but how is Vanilla Ice voting this primary season?

March 31, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  9. Diane from Virginia

If Obama wins the Primary and is utlimately sitting in the White House, I feel sorry for those who stood up for him when they find out that his sermons don't mean anything and that he won't be standing up for him in the end!!!! His comment about Hillary "she can run as long as she wants" was arrogant on his part. That tone should tell you people something about him. AND....he would leave the church if Rev. Wright didn't step down! BULL........he was there for twenty years and he is telling total untruths if he continues to say he hadn't heard that type of sermon before. Shoot......his wife admitted that "for the first time she was proud to me an American" No wonder she said that. And Obama is who you want for your President. You better think people or you will get what you didn't want!!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. andrea benini

HILLARY HILLARY HILLARY!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Casey

Celebrities are the monsters we create – trying to silence or ignore them would be like covering up our shadows with a bed sheet.

March 31, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. Samer Kurdi

I'll tell you why this is news.
    I was looking at Google news. I had a page with dozens if not hundreds of links, and I choose this story. It stole a click from a lot of competition, therefore I would say it's news.

Why did I click? Becasue as an Obama supporter I am interested in why so many people seem to be endorsing him or switching their endorsement to him, so why not look into 50 cent's change of heart?
    Apparently, the change came after 50cents heard him speak. That's good news indeed.

March 31, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  13. Glenn; Bakersville, NC.

Man, you know it's bad when the G-unit "Ain't got yo' back" no more.

This is truly the sign that I was looking for,... NOT.

Is the political news really that slow today???

March 31, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  14. sue

Thanks to 50 cents... he just gave us another reason not to vote for Obama. This whole Obama movement is a all Hype and no substance!

March 31, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. James

Who is 50 cent? I did notice from the picture he went to Harvard and managed to keep his cap from tilting to either side.

March 31, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. Go Phillies

I agree with All For Fairness. Read what he or she wrote and if you don't agree with he or she and I well then you are biased.

Go Future President Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And if she's not the nominee, Go Future Governor (of NY) Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  17. tomdavie

Hasnt anyone figured out how corrupt the liberal media is? There whole goal was to take out Bill and Hillary Clinton.

March 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  18. Ryan Murphy, MI

50 cent....learn how to speak man. I am for Obama all the way! Um, just kidding, don't ask fiddy....too much crunk juice– get back in the club

March 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  19. Key West Sun

Well with 50 cents swapping his support, but not his vote, cause he don't know nothing...I am not sure if this is good for Obama or good for Hillary.....but it has got to be bad for whoever wrote this story.

March 31, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  20. Robu desu

Now if it was Akon or Eminem, then that would be big news!

March 31, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  21. Ramy

Well this is a completely irrelevant news item.

March 31, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  22. Lemar

Talk about Racist!! The only reason 50 Cent and that Legislator Lewis switched sides is because they are Black. Give me a BREAK!!

March 31, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  23. J.B.

I first thought, "Why should I care what 'Fiddy' has to say?!", but...

If artists, especially those in the hip-hop industry, made their politics and political allegiances better known maybe they'd get more respect. Rap is the #1 most bought music in the country – in the world – and these artists have the cache to get millions of young voters who feel a disinterest for the political landscape to actually get out there and make a noise- or at least go to the polls in November.

Disinterest is almost the entire reason why Republicans ever win.

March 31, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  24. mike (houston)

Why does the opinion of a thug gangster even matter!

March 31, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  25. clarity

Good for Clinton.
    oh 'fiddy'... no ones cares what you think!
    LOL! 'fiddy'...? OMG! LMAO!

March 31, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |