March 31st, 2008

50 Cent no longer supports Clinton

50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.
50 Cent says he was impressed with Obama's speech on race.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton appears to have lost a high-profile backer to rival Barack Obama.

Rapper 50 Cent, who told Time magazine last September he was supporting the New York senator's White House bid, now says he has decided to shift his allegiance to Obama.

The multi-platinum star, born Curtis Jackson, told MTV News Friday that Obama's recent speech on race was the deciding factor for his decision.

"I heard Obama speak," he said. "He hit me with that he-just-got-done-watching-'Malcolm X,' and I swear to God, I'm like, 'Yo, Obama!'

"I'm Obama to the end now, baby!"

But the musician also admitted he's lost interest in the protracted Democratic race, and may not support either candidate.

"To be honest, I haven't been following that anymore. I lost my interest," he said. "I listened to some of the debates and things that they were saying, and I just got lost in everything that was going on...Don't look for my vote, for me to determine nothing on that. Just say, '50 Cent, he don't know, so don't ask Fiddy.'

He also said he didn't think the country is ready for a black president.

"I just think there's people that might not be ready for an African-American president," he said. "It'll be an issue, believe it or not."

"You've got to be conscious of racism, period," he continued. "And it's still there. We don't deal with it as often as my grandparents did. My grandparents grew up in South Carolina, so they experienced the heart of that."

1. shane

Hey, at least this is proof that some black people supported Hillary way before they supported Obama. BUIt seriously doesnt 50 cent have anything better to do? If i was worth hmmm.... 200 million bucks i wouldnt care who becomes the next president.

March 31, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  2. Joe in Carmel, IN

You people are missing the point here. This is news because of the way Obama's speech on race changed someone's mind into switching sides. Like Bill Richardson, 50 Cent was emotionally moved. Obama's messages of hope and change is powerful and people are really starting to get inspired. Sorry Hillary....Game over.

March 31, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Joe St Louis, MO

SO WHAT!!!!

March 31, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. Char

Who cares! He sounds like an idiot making comments that DO NOT make sense. My goodness CNN...

March 31, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Yes, DM again Arlington, TX

50 cent do you think you could have got her to release her tax returns.

You done the right thing. The Clinton's are acting rather shady they have a lot of secrets what are they trying to hide?

March 31, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. pastjob

Hillary supporters, don't u get it....she cannot catch up with Obama. she is still running because she has noth9ing better to do...
    u all might as well back the winner, why stick with the loser?
    this just does not make any sense.

March 31, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. Tim B

This has got to be the most innane segment EVER!

What the heck were you producers/editors thinking putting this virtually unreadable garbage on here.

You may as well go quiz the Olson twins on on their political views given the lack of intellectual commentary and mental faculty displayed here.

March 31, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. Lin

Oh, what a high-profile endorsement! 50 cent!

Tomorrw's headline:

Huge endorsement for Barack Obama from Britney Spears' sister's boyfriend

March 31, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. TMF

How incredibly short-sighted you all are.

Believe it or not 50 Cent appeals to a diverse, albeit small, group of young individuals who struggle to find their place between youth culture and the more adult political world that continuously tells them they can't make a difference. 50 Cent isn't claiming to be a political afficionado or that his opinion even matters. He DOES, however, appeal to the persepctive of a large undervalued group of urban AND suburban youth who are unimpressed by the "adults" around them and CNN is completely in the right for reporting that perception represented by 50 Cent.

Quit your whining. Its 32 bytes of information that you could have skipped over.

March 31, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. A. KeShawn

I am both a Hip Hop fan and an Obama fan but I'd rather not waist a degree in journalism on entertaining a joke. Some people should study, meditate, decide, and stick to it. He makes himself seem ignorant. If he can make all of that money from sugar water than America is ready for any shadge of President!

March 31, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. Bond_Dallas

No, I don't care what 50cents thinks or endorses. He is street smart with his music and business, but he doesn't sway me to either candidate in anyway whatsoever. I like his music and G-Unit clothes. That's it! Beyond that, I think he is shallow in understanding the issues this country faces. I am way beyond race. This is about our country as whole,,, race will only be a factor in shallow minds like his. I like Obama because of what he is planning to do for this country and redeem it on the world stage and domestically unite us to move forward.

March 31, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. Maxie

Yes! Obama 2008

But.... 50...Have U changed ur mind and now you're going to Harvard.....? That picture sends the wrong message...LOL

March 31, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. AJ in NJ

Oh what, you couldn't find a homeless crack "Ho" with a Jerry Springer crush for an in depth political analysis of the Democratic election process? We're DOOMED I tell ya!

March 31, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  14. Susan

Oh, and to help in your research that our votes don't really count, check out the article here on Cnn titled : Pledged delegates up for grabs

Clinton says Story Highlights
    Sen. Clinton, again, says pledged delegates are not bound to election results

Clinton: 'Every delegate ... is free to make up his or her mind however they choose'

Democratic strategist says the timing of the comments is no accident

Among pledged delegates, Obama leads Clinton 1,413 to 1,242

March 31, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. A REAL American

That makes three of us Eric. My question is: what is Fiddy spiking his Vitamin Water with?

March 31, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. Why???? are we going there...??????

Please "Fiddy", just don't speak in public anymore, at least not on Barack's behalf. Thanks for the support, but do it undercover, I know you can do that right?

Yes We Can!!!

Obama '08

March 31, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. Lou

Not so sure I'd put this on the positive side of the column for Obama.

March 31, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  18. Former Obama Supporter

I guess race is still playing a role in this election. Once again, Obama manipulation is working. Well his nice speeches and charm is going to bring me over to the dark side.

March 31, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  19. tryme

Now that is more like it. Is this good or bad news for Yo Obama!

So 'Fiddy cense' supports Yo Obama but willnot vote? What a crock?

March 31, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. Edward

This makes me want to NOT support Obama.

March 31, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. Michael in Lorton

Now that we have heard from "50 cents", we need to give equal opportunity to "One Dollar." CNN must be getting pretty desparate.....

March 31, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. Nau

oh!!! 50 cent!!!! another richardson!!!!
    black man were allowed to vote first than women, so.....

March 31, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. HP Boston

VOTING FOR SENATOR CLINTON MEANS NEVER HAVING TO SAY YOUR
    SORRY!

March 31, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. nhu

Obama lies just as much and is a typical Chicago politician.

Look at his Kennedy family ties with his father in his sppech. This is the biggest whopper I have ever heard.

March 31, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  25. Jim

OH NO!!!

that does it...i guess Hillary will have to quit now!

March 31, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |