March 31st, 2008

Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar endorses Obama

Klobuchar is backing Obama.
Klobuchar is backing Obama.

(CNN) – Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar announced Monday she's backing Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

"I am endorsing Barack Obama because he is a new kind of leader, he speaks with a different voice, he brings a new perspective and inspires a real excitement from the American people," Klobuchar said in a conference call with reporters. "He's able to dissolve the hard cynical edge that has dominated our politics under the Bush administration."

"Barack has inspired an enthusiasm and an idealism that we haven't seen in this country in a long time," she also said.

Klobuchar was elected to the Senate in 2006 - the first woman elected to the Senate from Minnesota.

"When I ran for the senate, I ran to bring change to Washington, not simply to become a woman senator. I am proud to be a woman in the Senate," Klobuchar also said. "My best friends are women in the Senate, but much like Senator Obama, I ran on a platform of change."

(Updates with comments from Klobuchar)

Related video: Watch Sen. Klobuchar discuss her endorsement with John King

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Working man in MN

Lots of astroturfing going on in this thread...
    Cut it out Clintonites/Republicans.

March 31, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. J. McCaskill, MS

McCain will get my vote if Obama wins the nomination. Darn a political party. Obama is not the better candidate. If you put Hillary Clinton resume against Obama, it makes him look like the inexperienced candidate, which he is. He has no specific plans, no solutions, just stolen speeches and a nutty preacher. Why in the world would you pick someone because they inspire or talk about change over a proven leader time and time again.

Hillary/McCain '08'

March 31, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. EDW

To John: you say Obama lies?
    Have you forgotten Hilary's Bosnia lies, the Whitewater scandal, etc?

March 31, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. Ray

OMG, more snipper fire raining down.. you better duck , run and hide Hillary. Oh I'm sorry, that was only in your imagination....

March 31, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. Ida

Some of you Hil_LIAR-y's supporters are desperate and really scraping the bottom, first of the sink and now of the toilet. A new day has come, so you might as well get with the times as this Senator and soooo many othes have. You guys need to chill, get some rest, and of course, do your taxes, stop dodging snipers and telling us that questions of character and morality are none of our business.

March 31, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  6. Uncle Sam

Who is Barack Obama?

March 31, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Shannon, Grosse Pointe, MI

I'm a Michigan voter, one of the thousands who didn't vote because my candidate wasn't on the ballot. Oh well.

March 31, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  8. Robin

Obama would really like the country to disregard the historical significants of the female canidate. He sends his male surrogates to bully her. He sends his female surrogates to try to diminish her. How insulting is this. Is that his stance on Women's Rights? Senator, it will be a cold day in hell when I vote for you.

March 31, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  9. Susan

Bravo!. This is a woman who is using her heard, and not her gender tod do what is right for this country. Senator Clinton cannot grasp that we women have our own ideals that are not wrapped up in her lies and treachery. Michigan is now catching on that Hillary was for NAFTA which caused major job losses in this country. Pennsylvania will catch on to. I hope more people come out and vote for Obama!

March 31, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  10. Gillis

The domino effect.

March 31, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  11. DEX

Wait a minute, what church does she attend??? lol

March 31, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. SZ

If Obama's wrapped up the nomination, why are all these people coming out to endorse him? Because he's in trouble.

March 31, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  13. Sharlene

Obama or Hilliary will do great as President. I am voting for Obama because I appreciate his honesty and transparency. He answers every question and wants america involved in the government again. Everyone will not agree with everything he says, but I feel he can take this country in a new direction.

If he is not the nominee, I would vote for Hillary.

March 31, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |