March 31st, 2008

Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar endorses Obama

Klobuchar is backing Obama.
Klobuchar is backing Obama.

(CNN) – Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar announced Monday she's backing Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

"I am endorsing Barack Obama because he is a new kind of leader, he speaks with a different voice, he brings a new perspective and inspires a real excitement from the American people," Klobuchar said in a conference call with reporters. "He's able to dissolve the hard cynical edge that has dominated our politics under the Bush administration."

"Barack has inspired an enthusiasm and an idealism that we haven't seen in this country in a long time," she also said.

Klobuchar was elected to the Senate in 2006 - the first woman elected to the Senate from Minnesota.

"When I ran for the senate, I ran to bring change to Washington, not simply to become a woman senator. I am proud to be a woman in the Senate," Klobuchar also said. "My best friends are women in the Senate, but much like Senator Obama, I ran on a platform of change."

(Updates with comments from Klobuchar)

Related video: Watch Sen. Klobuchar discuss her endorsement with John King

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. JohnS

Smart CHOICE Senator Amry.

GOD Bless you and GOD Bless America

OBAMA '08 & '12

March 31, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  2. AJ; Montpelier

You are endorsing Obama because you are a moron. Obama has no voice that hasnt been lifted from someone else. I'll be the first in line to vote for McCain if he becomes the democratic nominee and I've never voted for a republican in my life!

March 31, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  3. Danny

Mrs. Sen. you support with the wrong guy. You don't know that's Mr. Obama going loss in general election with John McCain? So, you don't know that Mr. Obama going to drop out very soon huh?

March 31, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  4. merle 7

Thank you senator Klobuchar for standing up for what you believe in which is much needed change for this country.

Obama/Edwards 08!

March 31, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  5. Glenn; Bakersville, NC.

Thank you very much Madam Senator. I am very pleased to see members of our government who ran on a platform of change endorsing the candidate who offers the most "True Potential" for change in Washington. You are restoring my faith in our government as a whole. Thanks again, and be sure to invite your friends.

March 31, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  6. Cat, MN

Thank you Amy! I knew you'd do the right thing and go with your state! I'll continue to vote for her every chance I get!

March 31, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  7. Don, Fl

I am a Dem & Obama will never get my vote & a lot of other Dems I know. He will not win over Mccain. You all are going to be very sorry come election eve.

March 31, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  8. Obama02

I wish the remaining super delegates would come out in their numbers to declare their endorsements so that the winner will have enough time to face McCain for the presidency because it is impossible to win an election with only two months of campaign as HC will want Dems to do.
    Thanks Sen. Army Klobuchar

March 31, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. Dan in CO

All these "Democrats" who are claiming they won't vote for her next time, and would rather have a Republican replace her.

Hillary's cult of personality is turning true Democrats into fair weather Democrats.

But as an independent, I love it. Government works best in gridlock!

March 31, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  10. moses

Thank you Senator. More Super-delegates should come out of the closet.

March 31, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  11. Robin

Another Judas!!! I guess there are millions of Judas in the Democratic party, since they believe that the United States and the Democratic party come before the Clintons.

March 31, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  12. michael

Being from Minnesota, Klobuchar lost my vote. To think I even voted for her. I guess she's a supporter of Wright, Rezko and Dorothy Tillman as well.

March 31, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  13. Benny

yeh so am i and who am i

March 31, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. MD

how disappointing.

March 31, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. E. C., Houston, Texas

Yes, Obama is a 'NEW KIND OF LEADER"......a man who only knows two words, 'change' and 'hope.' He's the totally unqualified candidate in this race for the nomination. Besides, he has a wife who has a reputation as a Militant Racist at Princeton. Check out her Thesis.
    No thank you, the United States is a great Nation, and we don't need this type in the White House. No, we don't need this 'New kind of Leader.'

March 31, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  16. AMERICA'S PROMISE

Thank you Senator Klobuchar for having the courage and stepping forth to help this campaign and to help our country.

We need to get Hillary supporters to realize too, that Obama IS the "Real Change" candidate that we need. Not someone who is about fantasies like Senator Clinton.

March 31, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  17. John-Paul Parikh

If Hillary gets the nomination–which she will only gain legitimately by overcoming the deficit of pledged delegates–Republicans will have far more dirt and many more avenues by which they can demonstrate her lack of character. If Barack gets the nomination, the Republicans will simply reiterate the same criticisms we've heard, all of which he has weathered by running against Hillary. Keep this battle going and let Hillary continue casting her little stones; party-line Democrats and the horde of moderates, independents and Republicans who want to see a change on Capitol Hill will support him in droves when he wins the nomination because that legitimizes the desire of the public for change.

March 31, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. ELY

she´s a smart lady

March 31, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  19. Helen Roy

Mc Cain gets my vote if BO is the nominee.

March 31, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. Jazz

She's from the one state that voted for McGovern when he was landslided by Nixon 49 to 1 in '72. Get the picture? They're ultra liberal there. The party hierarchy just does not get it. We want this race to continue. Real Democrats Don't Quit !!

March 31, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. rose

Thank you Amy. I'm glad that you did not let Hillary's sniper to snipe you. Good job
    OBAMA '08

March 31, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. Michael Guinn- Ventura, CA

Wonderful! Keep the endorsements coming– and the SD's please grow some courage.

March 31, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  23. Derrick

Hey Everyone let's be nice. I am an Obama supporter but first and foremost I am a Democrat. Hillary has done a lot of good in her career and both would be 1000 times better than McBush.

March 31, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  24. Fabrice

If Obama get the nomination our vote will go to Mc Cain as a lot of people that i know will do the same, CNN is pro Obama and is not fair on Hillary .
    ......if HRC doesn't get it the nomination this time She will run and win in 2012 because Obama has no chance to win.

March 31, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  25. scott

Even if Obama gets the nomination, with so much division and tension among Democrats anyone besides him will likely win the General. I'm staying home that day or voting for someone practices what they preach - it won't be Obama.

March 31, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |