March 31st, 2008

Richardson: 'I'm not going to stoop to Carville's level'

ALT TEXT

Richardson recently endorsed Obama despite his longstanding ties to the Clintons.
(Photo credit: AP)

(CNN) - Barack Obama supporter Gov. Bill Richardson, D-New Mexico, responded on Sunday to controversial comments by James Carville, saying that he would not "stoop to Carville's level."

Carville, a Hillary Clinton supporter and former strategist for her husband's 1992 presidential campaign, compared Richardson to the Biblical figure Judas in an interview with the New York Times last week. When later asked whether his comment was accurate, Carville made no attempt to apologize, saying that it had "the desired effect."

"I haven't gotten into the gutter on this. And you know, I'm not going to stoop to Carville's level. I barely know the guy in the first place," Richardson told Bob Scheiffer on CBS's "Face the Nation."

Carville had argued that Richardson's endorsement of the Illinois senator was an act of betrayal since the governor has a long history of political ties with her husband. Richardson disagreed.

"I think loyalty to the nation, loyalty to the party is a lot more important than personal loyalty," he said. "I owe the Clintons a lot. I served in the president's cabinet. That loyalty is to President Clinton. That doesn't mean that I'm going to for the rest of my life be in lockstep with whatever they do."

Though Richardson did not personally attack the Democratic strategist, he criticized the Clinton campaign's behavior.

"I ran against Senator Clinton. I was a presidential candidate. And what I ran against this personal venom that people like Carville and many others in the Clinton team that feel a sense of entitlement, that the presidency is theirs. "

On CNN's Late Edition, Carville acknowledged that his comment was harsh, but said that these kind of campaign spats are "powder puff stuff" compared to the general election.

"I don't think this campaign has been particularly negative. I've probably said the most negative thing in the whole campaign," he told Wolf Blitzer.

–CNN's Peter Lanier

1. Harvey in Va.

I agree with Carvelle..Richardson is only looking out for his self-interest thinking he will be VP or hold a position under Obama. I dont think Obama will select Richardson for any position as he did not even seem coherent during the debates or any other speeches.

March 31, 2008 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  2. John Karsten

I am really surprised that he has not turned up dead! Maybe in a few months he will have a car crash or something. We all know how the QUEEN works. or atleast the Clinton familily.

OBAMA 2008

March 31, 2008 07:42 am at 7:42 am |
  3. HOWARD DEAN BETRAYED OUR TRUST

Our own Party Chair Howard Dean has betrayed our trust in Michigan and Florida as voters and Party faithful..Will your VOTE be next?

March 31, 2008 07:46 am at 7:46 am |
  4. Man without Conviction

I feel Bill Richardson is a Man without Conviction and is a bit late his how moved he was by Obama. As a Hispanic just what can Obama do about immigration and why he is not that popular with us as a eace?

March 31, 2008 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  5. Man without Conviction

Sorry that was Race .

March 31, 2008 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  6. John in Nashville

Women, wake up..... Hillary is done thanks to the media...Vote for Nader or Maccain

March 31, 2008 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  7. Jen

They walk lockstep with the Clintons because they are afraid for their lives! Have you all not read the body count of anyone that crosses negatives paths with the Clintons?

March 31, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  8. Charlotte

Carville did not compare Hillary to Jesus. Anyone who betrays a friend is called a Judas. Richardson did it to get his campaign bill paid by Obamas campaign, Sounds like a Judas to me

March 31, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  9. Dan, Idaho Falls, Idaho

What's with that shirt / tie combo?

March 31, 2008 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  10. lois

Richardson lied to the Clinton side. He was talking out of both sides of his mouth. Sounds like he was trying to see who would promise him the bigger prize. With a friend like him....

March 31, 2008 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  11. Mark

Loyalty is not the issue. Bill turned his back on his people. I think his
    political career is over. He is as low as a person can go.

March 31, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  12. Steven

Gah... so sorry...ummm i believ that real americans should not vote along party lines every time... thats very dumb.....i personally am an independent and choose who to vote for based upon the individual canidate and not the party.... you do your country a disservice my friend

March 31, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  13. chayse

At one time Carville was thought to be funny, now he's just obnoxious.
    He also has a lousy haircut.

March 31, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  14. Charlotte

You can't go any lower then you already have, you sold out . Your campaign bill has been paid by the Obama campaign. If that isn't 30 pieces of silver what is?

March 31, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  15. Linda

Richardson lost my respect. He's not a man of his word. He emphatically stated that he would vote as his state votes. His state voted for Senator Clinton. Plain and simple, he lied and went back on his word.

March 31, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  16. Steve

Ricardson reminds me of one of the characters–Demaro??– on one of the soap operas –guess it's the beard. This presidential campaign has some areas eerily familiar with the Left Behind series of books.

March 31, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |