April 1st, 2008

Chelsea Clinton confronts another Lewinsky question

CNN

Chelsea Clinton received another question Monday that she chose not to answer.

(CNN) - It's a subject Chelsea Clinton would clearly like to avoid, but the former first daughter again fielded a question on the Monica Lewinsky scandal Monday.

Campaigning at North Carolina State, a student brought up the touchy-subject, saying the scandal was the public's business since the incident occurred when her father was President of the United States.

The younger Clinton sharply disagreed she should discuss the matter.

"It's none of your business," she said. "That is something that is personal to my family. I'm sure there are things that are personal to your family that you don't think are anyone else's business either."

As the student left the event, the former first daughter also said she doesn't think people should "vote for or against my mother because of my father.

The student later defended his comments to CNN affiliated WTVD, saying "I felt that it is our business because he was president at the time, and his first duty is to be chief citizen."

The comments follow an incident at Butler University last week when a student asked whether the scandal had hurt her mother's reputation.

Chelsea Clinton appeared taken aback by the question, saying, "Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question in the, I don't know maybe, 70 college campuses I've now been to, and I do not think that is any of your business."

The Butler student later said he was a supporter of Hillary Clinton's who was merely giving the former first daughter an opportunity to show how strong her mother is.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton
  1. John

Hey Chels, It is our business!

March 31, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  2. Jeff

FIRST OF ALL - CHEALSEA SHOULD STOP RESPONDING THIS MANNER.

IF YOU ARE OUT CAMPAIGNING, YOU SHOULD BE READY TO ANSWER THE QUESTION. COLLEGE STUDENTS WON'T LIKE THIS TYPE OF HARSH RESPONSE.

SEEMS THAT A TREND IS EMERGING THAT EVERY COLLEGE STUDENT IS GOING TO ASK THIS QUESTION AGAIN AND AGAIN, UNLESS SHE ANSWERS POLITELY.

BILL WAS THE PRESIDENT THAT TIME AND HIS FAMILY SHOULD ANSWER THE QUESTION WHEN THEY AGAIN GO TO THE VOTERS TO GET THE VOTES.

March 31, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  3. Angelo

How about the Bosnia incident?

Before America knew the TRUTH about Bosnia, you said that you remember things just like Hillary said it!!!!

Sorry but two wrongs do not make a right!

This disease MUST run in the family!!!

March 31, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  4. Mike

I believe the question asked to Chelsea Clinton was relevant–her response was rather arrogant and vile considering she represents her mother's interests. The students asking the question are not running for office–Hillary Clinton is running. The deeds of Hillary's husband will track into her presidency and many are curious on how this impacts her judgement. Just like Hillary mentioned you can leave your church (referencing Obama), you can also leave your spouse. She apparently doesn't see the similarities, only the spin. She has lost my support.

March 31, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  5. nunya

I think it is wrong to try and paint Hillary or Chelsea with that legacy story. Did she or her mom have any control over that situation? If anything, the are both victims. I'm not a Clinton voter, but I would be shocked to see one of her supporters put a qustion like that forward and certainly not to the daughter. Not believing the student on that one...

I say, you go Chelsea. You handled yourselve well.

March 31, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  6. Fred

Bob and weave just like a clinton. You get in to politics everything is fair game.

March 31, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  7. Jen in NH

This line of questioning is so tacky and inappropriate. I can't imagine how someone actually believes it's ok to ask a child about her parent's infidelity. She is a victim and the question is out-of-line. How pathetic that the questioner had a chance to ask Chelsea Clinton a meaningful question and that's the best the person could come-up with. Pitiful.

Hillary Clinton is the strongest Democratic candidiate for President. She will be our party's nominee.

March 31, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  8. Tony

In my opinion, only a paid coward would ask such a old news question. Some will do anything for a buck or a vote.

March 31, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  9. Daniel, Westminter, Colorado

I agree with Chelsea, leave her alone CNN.

Reading the article on 50 cent makes me respect Fox News for its standards. And they have no standards. It truly must be a slow news day.

March 31, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  10. Anonymous

I agree with Chelsea Clinton, and find it rather tacky that she is being questioned about what he father did while being the President. He is the only one responsible for his actions, not Hillary and especially not Chelsea. Hillary is running for President, not him. She has always shown the public that she is a strong woman and held her head up high when I know if I had been in her shoes, I would want to crawl underneath a rock and hide from the public eye. Start asking some legit questions that are important instead of wasting everyone's time.

March 31, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  11. Independent Voter

March 31, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  12. Bob

Please answer the question. This is part of the process.

March 31, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  13. pk

If you are out there campagining for her mother it' right to ask the question! everyone else want to know every thing about the other candidate! and they wasn't the president or first lady in the white house!

March 31, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  14. MCNEIL

why am i still in moderation............. i knew when i wrote my piece that it would never come out of moderation as usualllllll it is because i wrote against the cnn crew...just as the cnn crew are always against hilary...just read lou dobbs poll out tonight..............

March 31, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |