April 1st, 2008

Chelsea Clinton confronts another Lewinsky question

CNN

Chelsea Clinton received another question Monday that she chose not to answer.

(CNN) - It's a subject Chelsea Clinton would clearly like to avoid, but the former first daughter again fielded a question on the Monica Lewinsky scandal Monday.

Campaigning at North Carolina State, a student brought up the touchy-subject, saying the scandal was the public's business since the incident occurred when her father was President of the United States.

The younger Clinton sharply disagreed she should discuss the matter.

"It's none of your business," she said. "That is something that is personal to my family. I'm sure there are things that are personal to your family that you don't think are anyone else's business either."

As the student left the event, the former first daughter also said she doesn't think people should "vote for or against my mother because of my father.

The student later defended his comments to CNN affiliated WTVD, saying "I felt that it is our business because he was president at the time, and his first duty is to be chief citizen."

The comments follow an incident at Butler University last week when a student asked whether the scandal had hurt her mother's reputation.

Chelsea Clinton appeared taken aback by the question, saying, "Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question in the, I don't know maybe, 70 college campuses I've now been to, and I do not think that is any of your business."

The Butler student later said he was a supporter of Hillary Clinton's who was merely giving the former first daughter an opportunity to show how strong her mother is.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton
  1. Robu desu

Oh Snap! Not once but twice in the same week! Answer the question Chelsea. You're not 12 anymore, are you? Or is this just grown-up stuff?

March 31, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  2. Kevin

Chelsea better get off the campaign trail if she thinks this isn't going to continue.

Of COURSE there are things about family that should remain personal, but you give up that privacy when you become a public figure being elected into the highest office. We have a right to know the details of their relationship, since as it stands, it appears to be a relationship of political power and convenience, not of the love/strength/honesty that should be demonstrated by the First Family.

March 31, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  3. NickSan Diego

NO DO OVERS!

Now that you Botched it the first time and showed us the " I am better than you " Clinton style we are not going to buy your NEW PREPARED ANSWER given to a PLANT.

Nice try

March 31, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  4. David, In Des Moines Iowa

I don't think Chelsea should be speaking on behalf of her mother because she is not a seasoned enough liar. She will have to learn to shoot from the hip. That was a misfire.

March 31, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  5. Former Obama supporter

This young student is just out for attention. The first student to ask Chelsea the Monica Lewinsky question was invited on numerous shows and got his 15 minutes of fame. This subject is off limits and is no one’s business, so stop asking.

March 31, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  6. Dennis in Spokane

Big yawn as no one cares what the princess says to questions that are planted by Clinton supporters.

March 31, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  7. Lisa from GA

Just leave it alone.. Hillary is not going to win anyway.....

March 31, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Nina

i dont think its a question for her to answer.. i think if anyone should answer that question it should be directed to the people who were involved such as hillary and Bill.. but even so, what had happend has no relevance to what Hillary can offer us in this campaign. Leave Cheslea alone and stop bugging her about something that im sure traumatized her. No one wants to talk about their parent committing adultry. Even if he did it or not.. It just annoys me for people to ask something when they know what answer they will get..I would have given the same response as she did.. and based upon what she said anyways has no reflection on Hillary because Cheslea is the one not running.. so RIP with all the Monica questions, dang.

March 31, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  9. KnightCaptain

As an Obama supporter, I am absolutely disgusted by the way these students keep nagging Chelsea about Bill. First of all, Bill was a dog for all of his womanizing and cheating scandals, but that had nothing to do with Hillary or the public for that matter. Bill Clinton was an excellent President despite the scandal. The scandal had nothing to do with the way the country is ran nor the personal lives of the American people. (PERIOD). I said that 10 years ago, and I'll say it here and now. This election should be about the issues and not who can smear one another the best.

While I rerspect Senator Hillary Clinton for her being a fantastic First Lady and an awesome US Senator, I do, wholeheartedly believe that Senator Barack Obama is the best choice for President of the United States.

Obama 08!!! (Democrats United)

March 31, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  10. ariel

These questions about Lewinsky are entirely inappropriate.
    Obama 08

March 31, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  11. white old lady

THE WHOLE SORDID AFFAIR WAS NOT, NOT, NOT, PERSONAL.

HER FATHER WAS IMPEACHED. THERE WAS NOTHING PERSONAL

ABOUT THAT. AND WE GAVE HILLARY THE BENEFIT OF DOUBT

UNTIL SHE STARTED WITH HER GUTTER TACTICS, WHICH HAVE

BECOME A CLINTON TRADE MARK. SHE WAS WITH MOM WHEN

MOM WAS DODGING BULLETS IN BOSNIA. GIVE ME A BREAK

March 31, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  12. Carol Myers

I don't believe that the student that asked the question was a Hillary supporter. I believe Chelsey has every right not to answer this question and I sure wish the people who would stoop so low would get the same treatment for something like this in their life.
    Carol, Oh.

March 31, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  13. Mwana

Once Hillary Clintons decided that it was okay for Chelsea to get on her campaign trail, it pretty much meant then its in the public's hands. Her father served in a public office and his misdeeds were public viewed around the world. If he had wanted to keep this matter private he should have done it in a private place. My advice to Chelsea and the other Clintons is to gear themselves up for harder questions related to Monica L. They cannot dismiss it or wish it away!

March 31, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  14. J. McKinney

I agree with Chelsea–the Clinton personal life is no one elses business. But I suppose now that it has started, half the nuts around will be asking her about it. I hope not. GO, HILLARY!

March 31, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  15. Jake

People should leave this poor girl alone.I wonder how they would feel if everone was asking personal questions about their families.I would vote for Bill again. After 7&1/2 years of boy george, I would vote Clinton's dog.

March 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  16. Realistic

Her mother is running based on Bill's experience, so Bill's experiences are relevant. It is also relevant to the character issue which has arisen after Hillary's recent gaffes involving the Tuzla, Bosnia, sniper (non)event, her strong and active support of NAFTA as disclosed by her own appointment book, etc. Very simply: If Hillary can't keep Bill in check in the next room, how can she possibly deal with rogue dictators half a world away?

But the whole *experience* thing is so bogus anyway: Under Hillary's rationale, Yoko Ono was a Beatle.

March 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  17. EdWonk

Of course it's the public's business.

The President is the most powerful individual on Earth, with the ability to send men and women into harm's way.

He or she is our country's head of state and (supposedly) chief law enforcement officer.

While in office, everything that may affect his or her actions should be subject to public scrutiny and comment.

Since Chelsea has decided to campaign on behalf of her parent, she should understand that.

If she doesn't want to address the questions and concerns of the public, she should go back to that Wall Street hedge and her six-figure income.

March 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  18. Ralph

She gave the absolute right answer. Good for her.

March 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  19. D. Campbell

Personal, yes.
    Our business, absolutely. Bill Clinton lied under oath as President of the United States.

March 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. clinton

When you are a political figure nothing is none of our business. Learn politics before representing one.

March 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. Wanakee

If the younger Clinton thinks this is not of the publics' business, she should grab her parents and hold up in Chappaqua! Get out of public life and out of politics, lest Bill's "Slcik Willy" past is fair game! So is Hillary's lying, exaggerating and not paying those campaign debts that are mounting!

March 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  22. bhd

These students are just trying to get atention. I think they forget That Hillary is running not Bill.

It's interesting that these questioners are both MALES!!!!

I didn't beleive the country was more sexist than racist until just now!!!!

March 31, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  23. Matt Jenkins

This election (especially democratic) is becoming a long episode of American Idol. I'm so over b/c this primary is not about politics. Everyone is voting for someone based on if they look like her or him and it's getting ridiculous. This is the most important job on the planet people. I'm hoping that the people who will not vote for Obama b/c he is black or Clinton b/c she is a woman will cancel the people who will only vote for them for that reason. Then it will come down to the people who are actually following the politics of the election.

One last thing- I'm so tired of Clinton and Obama state how great it is that record numbers of people are showing up to vote. This is not necessarily a good thing. Most of these people know nothing about what the candidate stands for, they just know that they look like them. That is not good for this country at all.

March 31, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Chelsea is to self composed and intelligent for someone to try and trick her into making a gaf. She will be hounded until election day now but she will not bow. Good for Chelsea Hillary 08-16

March 31, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  25. April in Texas

As I said before it is an honest question. Someone should answer it. Although umm Bill would probably still say he did not have sexual relations with that woman. Wonder if he will take his own words to heart and CHILL OUT. To have been one of the two presidents impeached out of all presidents we have had speaks volumes to me. Obama answered tough questions about his preacher so why shouldnt Hillary answer about her husbands past? If they do answer it I would have to wonder though how much truth is actually in the response.

Obama 08