April 1st, 2008

Chelsea Clinton confronts another Lewinsky question

CNN

Chelsea Clinton received another question Monday that she chose not to answer.

(CNN) - It's a subject Chelsea Clinton would clearly like to avoid, but the former first daughter again fielded a question on the Monica Lewinsky scandal Monday.

Campaigning at North Carolina State, a student brought up the touchy-subject, saying the scandal was the public's business since the incident occurred when her father was President of the United States.

The younger Clinton sharply disagreed she should discuss the matter.

"It's none of your business," she said. "That is something that is personal to my family. I'm sure there are things that are personal to your family that you don't think are anyone else's business either."

As the student left the event, the former first daughter also said she doesn't think people should "vote for or against my mother because of my father.

The student later defended his comments to CNN affiliated WTVD, saying "I felt that it is our business because he was president at the time, and his first duty is to be chief citizen."

The comments follow an incident at Butler University last week when a student asked whether the scandal had hurt her mother's reputation.

Chelsea Clinton appeared taken aback by the question, saying, "Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question in the, I don't know maybe, 70 college campuses I've now been to, and I do not think that is any of your business."

The Butler student later said he was a supporter of Hillary Clinton's who was merely giving the former first daughter an opportunity to show how strong her mother is.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton
  1. John Smith

Firewall, Firewall
    People should read at least 2-3 blogs BEFORE posting any "dumb message." I am still waiting for my answer from a Hillary fan!!

Someone out there still needs to let me know how Hillary is going to win this nomination. Texas and Ohio were the last set of Firewalls, so I heard, "meet me in Texas." Ohio and TX have come and gone!!!

Now, I hear, "meet me for a landslide win in PA." When will this madness stop? It is little wonder that the rest of the world laughs at our "mathematical abilities" in this country. We are in "fantasy land."

March 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  2. Amy, Kazoo

It amazes me how obsessed people still are with Bill and his escapades, meanwhile, Bush gets away with murder in the white house and no one is in the streets calling for impeachment.

March 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. MARY

JUST A FEW SMART FELLOWS THAT WANT TO GET ON CABLE t.v. CHELSIA IS CORRECT TO ANSWER WITH IT IS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS, AND BILL IS NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT HILLARY IS.

March 31, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. Harold Prenter

In both cases I beleave that the student was looking for publicity . Neither Was Using their Heads. That or 1. they wanted to destroy Hillary Clintons Chances or 2. They thought it was smart or 3. they were paid to do it. In any case very much a low life.

March 31, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  5. M Diouf

When i am off work, calling a friend, and my boss ask me who am i calling? my answer can be, "it's none of your business."
    When I am at work and my boss ask me the same question, i believe that my answer will be different.
    People deserve correct answers on things we do while working for them.

March 31, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  6. NN,NY

Impeachment is NOT a personal matter, lying under the oath is NOT a personal matter and to my mind MUST be discussed in public.
    Sexual infidelities on the other hand are indeed the "family" matter and should be dealt as such.
    Many people are mixing up these two things including Chelsea.

March 31, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. here's an idea

Why don't you all quit trying to sabotage Hillary Clinton.

I'm sure we can all ask Obama something personal if we chose to be that silly and obnoxious. What all with his teenage mother and all her husbands

March 31, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  8. Sue

First, if Chelsea Clinton is out there stumping for her mother, she has a responsibility to answer questions. Not just from voters but from the press. If I were I member of the media, I would stop being cowed by the Clintons. I would ask Chelsea question after question and let her say she won't answer and show it on TV over and over.
    Second, her father was IMPEACHED over the whole Monica scandal. That means it IS our business. How her mother handled it says a lot about her. It's fair game. If nothing else it's a reminder for us all about what the Clinton administration really was.

March 31, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  9. CL

Why bother asking? Anybody knows that it would be difficult for her to answer. Can you imagine the amount of personal healing the family had to go through after that? She has a message. Let her deliver it no matter which candidate you support.

March 31, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  10. Harry

Did she really mena that?

"....vote for or against my mother because of my father"

Millions of people voting for Hillary today is because of Bill and what the 90s under his presidency was. It is not because some special qualities that Hillary posseses.

Infact, had it been Bill was not a President before and this Primary was between Hillary & Obama; she would have been wiped out long time ago.

March 31, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  11. Ric

How scuzzy was that? Leave the girl alone. Ask Bill if you really want to know. He was the one who acted poorly, not Chelsea.

March 31, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  12. Larry Kegel

Why is it that the News Casters say that Bill Clinton was impeached??? He was there through His whole Term!!!

Now the question about Chelsea : I don't think it is fair for anyone to mention about Monica... It was know ones business back then and still has nothing to d about this election... Why don't they ask questions on the issues???

March 31, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  13. Chisom Ofodire

Hey, you guys should leave the poor girl alone, What happened was totally not her fault, in fact, she was unaware of the situation, prior to its happening.
    The fault is on the Clinton camoaign who decided and thought that bringing out the ex-president's daughter will do them any good. It wouldn't, The more she refuses to answer questions that bother the general public, and the more she insults plausible voters, the less likely she will live in the white house again. I dont think Clinton deserves to win, and I dont think it is fair that she throws her daughter into her already failed campaign.

March 31, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  14. John

Agree, that is not anyone's bussiness in terms of thie election. Especially when those kind question addressed to Chelsea. Keep ignor those people.

March 31, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  15. Jeff in WI

It's a legit question.

And clearly it isn't going away.

If Chelsea is going to be active in her mother's campaign, she's going to have to be open to answer any relevant questions that arise.

March 31, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  16. bob East

There is an old saying about the sins of the father that applies here.
    The first question asked was silly–Did the incident hurt Hillary's reputation. What was wrong in the response was- it wasn't a question about the actual event. What was right about the response was- it is a personal family issue when it comes to Chelsea and her mother.
    The new question- while note quoted in the article agian was not answerd properly- yes, wht the President did was a public issue, but has nothing to do with whether or not Hillary is qualified to be President.
    People at rallies- step away from the microphone- turn on your brain- return the the microphone- now speak!

March 31, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  17. Ralph

I guess she couldn't say that was the first time she got that question. Why doesn't someone get that poor vunerable girl off the campaign circuit so she doesn't have to be emotionally traumatized with questions we all know are going to be asked. Someone is making a very selfish request of her, unless she wants to be there and feels capable of handling tough questions, including those by the press. Then I say, welcome Chelsea, instead of, go home Chelsea.

March 31, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  18. Cameron Johnson

Do you think, maybe, if she answered one of these questions honestly, it would stop being a big deal? No one is asking her to delve into the intricacies of her parents' marriage, but simply her opinion on whether or not it hurt her mother's credibility - to which she could respond "that was her choice to make, and frankly, I couldn't say either way." Easy, done, but instead she's made national news twice for being rude to her supporters. It's a shame.

March 31, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  19. Garth

It is okay, I am not going to hold my breath while my comments go through moderation.

March 31, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  20. Darth Vadik, CA

IF YOU ARE GOING TO SPEND CAMPAIGN MONEY TO CAMPAIGN, YOU SHOULD BE MADE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS, STOP THIS "YOU CANT ASK ME A HARD QUESTION CRAP".

YOU'RE A BIG GIRL, YOU CAN ANSWER AN UNCOMFORTABLE QUESTION, THERE ARE A LOT YOUNGER MEN AND WOMEN DYING IN IRAQ IN OUR NAME RIGHT NOW,

SO JUST DROP THE INNOCENT ACT RIGHT NOW.

March 31, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  21. G.L.

I think it is a fair question. She certainly has a right not to answer. But, she can’t criticize it as an irrelevant question.

March 31, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  22. dani

Chelsea is being set up and I hope she doesn't take the bait.

But that's typical of Obama's supporters – oh so negative.

March 31, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  23. Will

Screw American public, the small states, trust and even Clinton supporters we won't talk about things that could hurt our image...that's the Clinton motto.

March 31, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  24. sam

Its disgusting to find students have no better and intelligent questions to ask. I believe that the standards that some of these students aim to achieve, is not that of their fellow students. What's more disgusting is that some of the so called respected news channel also descend to the low levels of these students in publishing them, and giving them importance in their news coverage. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL US WHAT RELEVANCE THIS QUESTION HAS TO HILLARY CLINTON'S CANDIDATURE??

March 31, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  25. Ron

Well how many people actually have an affair. The only person who is allowed to ask this question if you yourself are pure at heart.!!!!!!! grow up!!!!!!! There are more important things then Bill Clinton did when he was the president. Why don;t you actually look into those records to check.

March 31, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |