April 1st, 2008

Chelsea Clinton confronts another Lewinsky question

CNN

Chelsea Clinton received another question Monday that she chose not to answer.

(CNN) - It's a subject Chelsea Clinton would clearly like to avoid, but the former first daughter again fielded a question on the Monica Lewinsky scandal Monday.

Campaigning at North Carolina State, a student brought up the touchy-subject, saying the scandal was the public's business since the incident occurred when her father was President of the United States.

The younger Clinton sharply disagreed she should discuss the matter.

"It's none of your business," she said. "That is something that is personal to my family. I'm sure there are things that are personal to your family that you don't think are anyone else's business either."

As the student left the event, the former first daughter also said she doesn't think people should "vote for or against my mother because of my father.

The student later defended his comments to CNN affiliated WTVD, saying "I felt that it is our business because he was president at the time, and his first duty is to be chief citizen."

The comments follow an incident at Butler University last week when a student asked whether the scandal had hurt her mother's reputation.

Chelsea Clinton appeared taken aback by the question, saying, "Wow, you're the first person actually that's ever asked me that question in the, I don't know maybe, 70 college campuses I've now been to, and I do not think that is any of your business."

The Butler student later said he was a supporter of Hillary Clinton's who was merely giving the former first daughter an opportunity to show how strong her mother is.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton
  1. Lisa

My grandmother always said "If you can't run with the big dogs, don't jump off the porch." Of course every family has private issues, but guess what, when you put yourself out there in full view of the public all bets are off. The entire world knows what happened!! Answer the question next time. Avoidance = weakness. I am no fan of Hillary but I am sure she would at least address the issue and not pull the "NYB" card. (Or at least made sure the questions were planted in advance as to avoid the issue.)

March 31, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. Murray

Why does Chelsea not see that her father was in office, voted in by the American public when he was impeached because of his disgraceful actions? AND IT IS OUR BUSINESS! As Hillary has ask us to hire her to be our next president, so did her dad. Boy did he let the people of this great country down. It may hurt , but as her father put it, if you don't want to take the hits on the football field, don't suit up! Don't go on the stump for your Mother and expect everyone to go soft on you because daddy says so. Looks like Hillary and Bill are not alone thinking they are entitled to the Oval Office.

March 31, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  3. Mark Webb

Tired of the Clintons with their lies and their half-truths.
    Hillary lied about her so-called sniper exerience in Bosnia, suggesting that she is better qualified for commander-in-chief. Chelasea was there but did not say "Mom, you're lying".
    Bill disgraced America, this is not private family matter.

March 31, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  4. Howard Roark

Is anyone really surprised by this? Hillary chose to ignore (or at least accept as part of the deal) Bill's numerous affairs. To ignore or accept for one's personal ambition does not demonstrate integrity.

As a father of two daughters, I'm all for a woman president, but Hillary is a disgrace to women everywhere.

Chelsea Clinton has chosen to enter the public arena, and these types of questions are fair game, legitimate inquiries. If Bill was a CEO engaging in these acts with an intern, he would have been fired. Plain and simple. Deal with it.

March 31, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  5. Independent, Political Analyst, college station

But dear chelsea, Everything that your mother has accomplished and has become was basically on the platform prepared by your father( Bill). She used that platform to launch her political career in US senate and now to be the president of USA. I believe people are supporting your mother not because of her experience in Bosnia but by the goodwill created by your father, about Clinton's family.
    The reason why Hillary didn't leave Bill even when he cheated her again and again is because Hillary knew that she is nothing without BIll.

March 31, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  6. bill

Oh great – another "Clinton's under stress" news bit.
    Next in the formula: a heartwarming Obama moment.
    Then include someone supporting Obama, while ignoring Hillary's supporters.
    Then back to Clinton's under stress.

This bias is so obvious.
    Hillary has lots of big and small name supporters – anyone remember the last article? without insinuations?

Hang in there Hillary!

March 31, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  7. chuk

Chelsea is showing lack of grit to confront reality. The said event occured at Oval house and cannot be a private family issue. One would think that after the first question on this issue last week, she would have prepared a sound answer to take advantage of the situation and change it to a positive....instead she thinks she deserves a free ride back to the white house. Wake up Chelsea and the Clintons and see reality the way America sees it. You are 28 years old...stop acting like you are still 12.

March 31, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  8. Anonymous

I agree with Chelsea Clinton, it is no ones business what happened between her mother and her father in the matter of Monica Lewinsky. She is their daughter and no one has the right to ask such personal questions concerning her parents. Good for you Chelsea for sticking to your guns.

March 31, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  9. CoryB

Go Chelsea! Both President Clinton and Sentor Clinton have done so much for our country. Back then our economy was healthy and some 300-million+ surpluses. We were not at wars. Those were good times and we should thank the Clintons for their hard work. The problems with their personal lives should never be our business. Both of them have shown that they're both strong fighters since they have come back from those scandals and remained prominent public figures.

March 31, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  10. Robert in Albuquerque

I think Chelsea said it best.

What's done is done and it wasn't Hillary, but Bill who had that issue.

March 31, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  11. Florida voter

Well said. How would you like it if you were asked that?

March 31, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  12. Jon

I have a few questions for Chelsea myself: While your mother was telling the sniper story, what did you think? Did you think it was a strange story considering you were right next to her? Why didn't you speak up and let her know that she "mis-poke" ?

March 31, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  13. Liz T

I hope people continue to ask the question. When you are first family, you have no privacy. It would surely come up on the campaign trail should Hillary be nominated. Chelsea will just have to prepare a coherent and responsible answer in advance. After all, she is an adult now and is putting herself out there.

March 31, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  14. Kay-Arizona

How very petty!! I have to wonder why the press hasnt done some digging to see exactly where these two came from. Might make for an interesting story. Were this question about race everyone would withdraw in horror and say, "how could they be so rude"

March 31, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  15. B Hoar

Did Chelsea Clinton ever question her mother when she heard he "misspeak" about their arrival in Bosnia?

March 31, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  16. Kevin, Illinois

These people who are asking this question have been planted in the audience. I don't think she needs to answer the question

March 31, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  17. kyle

Chelsea has a chance to show that her mother is able to make tough decisions in controversial times, how could this look bad for Hillary? This is not a private matter, the scandal got 24 hour press coverage for weeks, we all now what went down there really isn't much to hide . I don't applaud Hillary for much, but I do applaud her for being an adult about the situation, accepting her husband's forgiveness and began rebuilding their relationship when she could have taken the easy way out with a divorce.

March 31, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  18. Mrs. Texas

You I fine it amazing that if you question the Chelsey the media are if Hillary & Billy Boy feel as if your off limits. Pull her off the trail and put some oneon that can ask question.

I also must wonder why is so easy for the media to frame Hillary protect her.

I feel if I didn't want my child to be face with question about things that happen in the white house when she was a child. Then I would put her on the trail.

March 31, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  19. Conan

Let the feeding begin! Welcome to politics Chelsea!

March 31, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  20. Susan

If Chelsea Clinton is publicly stumping for her mother, a polarizing but successful politician, then she should not be surprised about the range of questions she receives. Maybe in the 60s there was a clear distinction between private and public affairs, but not in this day. I

March 31, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  21. JFK

How moronic can people get?? This is a personal matter. Leave the young lady alone and act like humans. Not a bunch of slightly more evolved apes!

March 31, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  22. Mandi Locke

I am a strong Obama supporter, but I do not think these questions are appropriate when asked of Chelsea Clinton. If you want to ask tough and personal questions, you should ask the right people. Chelsea was not involved in that scandal, she was a victim of her father's infidelity and her mother's failure to do anything about it.

March 31, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  23. Eric

When the President stands in front of my television screen and lies to our faces, I think it's our business.

March 31, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  24. BJ

if chelsea thinks her mum should not be denied votes because of his dad's mistakes,then she should preach the same thing that obama should not be denied votes because of his pastors comments.
    obama 08

March 31, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  25. mike

Stupid people ask stupid questions... easy as that.

March 31, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |