April 1st, 2008

Clinton backer: Obama will win

Cleaver, a supporter of Clinton, said he'd be stunned if Obama didn't win.
Cleaver, a supporter of Clinton, said he'd be stunned if Obama didn't win.

(CNN) - A key Hillary Clinton supporter appeared to be a bit off message during a recent interview with a Canadian radio station.

"If I had to make a prediction right now, I'd say Barack Obama is going to be the next president," Missouri Rep. Emanuel Cleaver said in a Canadian public radio interview this weekend. "I will be stunned if he's not the next president of the United States."

Cleaver, an African-American, endorsed Clinton's White House bid last year and formally remained aligned with the New York senator even as other black leaders shifted their support to Barack Obama.

But after his district voted for Obama in the February 5 primary, Cleaver did indicate he would consider voting for the Illinois senator at the party's convention if the delegate count was extremely tight between the two candidates.

In the Canadian radio interview, Cleaver made clear he doesn't expect Clinton to overtake Obama, comparing his support of the New York Democrat to that of his hometown losing football team.

“Even though I don't expect the Kansas City Chiefs to beat the Indianapolis Colts, I cheer for the Kansas City Chiefs,” he said.

He also pushed back on the notion Clinton should take her fight for the party's nomination all the way to the August convention - though he acknowledged that is not the position he is supposed to take.

"If I do the party line, I'm supposed to say - and maybe I'll say, just so if anybody hears it they can say well, 'Cleaver did the party line before he told the truth' - we believe that a contest going all the way to the convention is good for America."

But, he added, an actual convention fight would be a “tragedy of tragedies.”

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Ulysse

Music to my ears, rainbow to my eyes! ; )

I suppose all the Hillary supporters should drop the hallucinogens and face the facts.

Obama 08

April 1, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  2. Jennifer

She doesn't need enemies with "supporters" like this. It's a mans world.....such a shame.

April 1, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. Anonymous

If Obama wins this I and my whole faimly are outa here abd heading for CANADA i WILL not SURPOT OBAMA

April 1, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Stevo

No more 3rd term for repubs.

Obama / Clinton

April 1, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. Klptn

"Traitor superdelegates," Kathy? What, do you think Hillary is owed a turn as president? Most of her supporters are only voting for her because they hope Bill will pull her strings like Cheney pulls Bush's. Obama is a once-in-a-lifetime leader, whereas Clinton is just more of the same. If Hillary wins the presidency (which she won't, she's behind by too much), she will be the fourth straight president to be either a Bush or a Clinton. The U.S. is turning into a monarchy.

April 1, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. NO OBAMA HERE

I agree with Deana Clinton should go indenpendent she would have my vote and alot of others OBama supporters are in a trance and can't see the real Obama

April 1, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  7. Ruth -Az

Really! This race is not over. You are asking H.R. Clinton to step down when this race has not run its course. I think she still has a good chance to win the democratic race. I am thinking rhR
    I'm also pretty sure that I will not vote or vote for McCain, I think there are alot of conserveative democrates that feel the same. Far Left attatudes will not help put this country as the far right made this mess.

April 1, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  8. LynPisces

Finally - a Hillary supporter no longer in denial!

April 1, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. Teresa

Come on, an join the Obama campaign. Your more than welcome to sit and congregate.

TO: kenny cole you had a dream you could spell inauguration

April 1, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. Terry from Illinois

First, this is a free country and we as Americans are entitled to our opinions but when we say that we as Democrats will vote for McCain if Hillary doesn't get the nom then I do see racism rearing it's ugly head. What I hear between the lines are : anyone as long as they are not black. You'll vote for someone who is a warmonger and is an extension of the current administration. Think long and hard the next time you get groceries or fill up your gas tanks or the next time you get sick and realize you can't afford to get sick!!

Idle threats are never good and they can only come back to bite us all where it hurts and that is in our "pocket books!" You can vote for whom you like but think long and hard about your rash actions!! Because I'm sure Senator Obama and his family will be just fine weather they win in November or not but what about the rest of Americans!

April 1, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. Ofebs

I hope Obama can go all the way, he has inspired a whole new generation of voters. Unfortunately some young voters are switching off because of the negativity fom the Hillary camp.

I hope blue-collar America will not jettison change because of Hillary's fear and shock tactics, which is so right-wing, it inevitably weakens the Democrats and strengthens the Republicans.

The Democratic party should rightly be concerned about Hillary's mehods, which is bound to get more desperate and would leave the party fragmented at the Denver convention.

April 1, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. sherrie50

To everyone, Please! Please! educate yourself regarding the issues before placing a blog. Criminal offense if you don't agree to Health Insurance proposed by HC??? Educate yourself regarding foreign policy, educational system in this country, War in IraQ; Healthcare Crisis in this country(talk to someone who works in the medical field); and most of all The Economy. These issues are not as simple as you want to think they are. It will require someone who has an understanding based on experience.

April 1, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  13. doomsdayer

the race will be between mccain and obama.

why?

both of their birthdays add up to the master number '11' and both were born below the 33rd parallel. no u.s. president in history has been born under the 33rd parallel. the 2008 election is more important than you know, and on dec. 21, 2012 we will see why.

April 1, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  14. meg

no arizona what america deserve is the dumbest leader in the world who fooled 75% of you into upport 4 attacking iraq. and dude usa borrows from bank china ceo's ship jobs to china, and dumb war will end up costing over 2 trillion$ who will pay that ur kids, the empire crumbling, ceo's raking n record salaries you all focus on wrong things, must be public sch system fault.......................

April 1, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  15. Bryan from Michigan

I must agree with Missouri Rep. Emanuel Cleaver about this point. I have been an extremely faithful republican to this point...but...I like what I am seeing in Obama. Hillary on the other hand seems to have a pattern of negative energy following her...we've had enough of that sort of thing lately...we need someone to bring us back up, globally.

April 1, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |