April 1st, 2008

Clinton: Obama campaign wants to end race

Chelsea Clinton has taken a high-profile role in her mother’s presidential campaign.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - As Sen. Hillary Clinton's underdog campaign soldiers on through Pennsylvania, Indiana and North Carolina, she has begun casting herself as a champion of democracy.

"There are some folks saying we ought to stop these elections," she said in Indianapolis, Indiana, on March 29 as the audience booed the notion. "I don't think we believe that in America," she said. "The more people that have a chance to vote, the better it is for our democracy."

As Pennsylvania's primary nears, Clinton's staffers have increasingly accused Barack Obama's campaign of trying to disenfranchise Democrats. On Monday, in a satellite interview with a television station in Montana, Clinton herself made the charge.

"My take on it is a lot of Sen. Obama's supporters want to end this race because they don't want people to keep voting," she told KTVQ in Billings, Montana. "That's just the opposite of what I believe. We want people to vote. I want the people of Montana to vote, don't you?"

It is a growing theme in Clinton's stump speech as she makes her way through upcoming primary states: that she alone, up against rival forces aiming to silence the millions of voters in the 10 remaining primary and caucus states, will stand up for their right to vote.

Full story

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Christian

Go Clinton!!! Keep on fighting for OUR right to vote. Can't believe people are getting brainwashed by an inexperienced candidate. With all our problems today I don't think it's common sense to hand the commander-in-chief post to someone who is nothing but just likable. These are very, very serious things and we will all face grave setbacks if we made a mistake. Wake up people!!!

April 1, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  2. Ann,. Nebraska

Hillary should not end the race. Are Obama's People afraid that She will outnumber Him and Win. Hillary is alot more ready to lead this Nation than Obama. GO HILLARY 2008!!!!!!!

April 1, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  3. For Obama

Liar give it a rest. Your adding things to peoples mouths. Obama has never once said for Hillary to quit. Stop putting a spin on things that dont spin.

April 1, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  4. SlapStick, FL

HRC, Please for once stay focused on the issues. You worry too much about Obama and what he is doing, which is a sure turn off to many. It's like playing a card game; worry about your hand because you can't play whats in the opponents hand!!!

April 1, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  5. rck

Hillary landed in Bosnia under sniper fire is what she says, LIER LIER, the video shows different Hillary.

So do we want a President that out right LIES to the American people, if so, I'm sure Hillary will blow more smoke up your you know what.

So I guess that anyone who supports Hillary can be expected to act the same, blow smoke, exagerate the facts and lie to who ever will be gulable enough to listen.

We need change and get rid of the LIEING STATUS QUO out of Washington..........

LETS CHANGE AMERICA FOR OUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS AND CLEAN HOUSE BY GETTING RID OF THE STATUS QUO........

April 1, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  6. Tjaye

I think its very misleading of her team to continually perpertrate this lie. Besides, why does she claim to be so anxious to have all the states vote when she's already stated that she is planning to ask the superdelegates to overturn the votes if they are not in her favor?

April 1, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  7. HAM

I say they should duke it out until the convention... and then one should run third party after that... let the people decide... that's the way it should be...

Never give up
    Never surrender

Both of you take it to the finish!

Long Live Democracy!

April 1, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  8. Seriously?

I thought I read an article just the other day with Obama encouraging HRC to stay in the race. Am I wrong?

Either way Obama will continue to increase his lead or maintain it. Why would he care if she drops or not?

It is pretty sad when HRC's own supporters is saying that Obama will win...

April 1, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  9. Barbara M Campbell

When Hillary's plan to disenfranchise all voters after February 5th wasn't successful, she tried one dishonest tactic after another to bring Obama down. She can't win; she can't pay her bills; and all she's accomplishing is an increase in McCain's poll numbers. Of course Obama's supporters want her out. As Senator Obama has said, however, let her stay in as long as she wants. The emperor's clothes become more and more transparent every time she opens her mouth.

Now, what about those tax returns, White House documents, earmark requests, and donor lists?

April 1, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  10. rck

Hillary, I guess you dont realize that Rocky was a fictional movie, just like your campaign, full of fictional stories.

I guess though you will be back about 4 more times to see if you will win, just like the fictional movie Rocky.

April 1, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  11. Chuck

"I will definitely vote for Mccain if Hillary is not the nominee even if Hillary endorses him. I personally think she should run as an independent if she is not the nominee so she makes sure Obama does not win"

Matt, it is exactly this kind of lunkheaded thinking that just might get us four more disastrous years of Bush III( McSame) . Are you truly that bitter? Are you that much of a spoil sport that you would turn your back on the country like that? Traitor. Judas.

Of course you might be taking your cue from Hillary herself when she threw the party under the bus by suggesting that she and McCain were the only ones with experience for the job. Sacrilege. And it just goes to show she will do literally anything, including screwing her own party to win. And she wonders why she's behind? Pitiful.

April 1, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  12. Len Smith

Seems to me that the American people are looking for the sizzle and not the steak by backing Obama. He doesn't say much, but he says it well. He is the least credentialed candidate running this year. So I guess one needs to vote for the dream.

April 1, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  13. Jay

Yes, Obama wants to end the race because he knows Clinton is a fighter, and she will win the nomination. Clinton would have had the lead if Florida and Michigan votes were counted.

April 1, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  14. vp

it's over

April 1, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  15. calvin

Obama has a better message and he will be able to bring the country back together rather then continue to tear it apart. Hillary should concede and quit dividing the democratic party. I see so many comments from people who state in no uncertain terms that if Obama wins the nomination they will vote for McCain!!!!!! What kind of democrat would do that idiotic thing. On the other hand if Hillary wins the nomination by some miracle I will vote for her in November. I am an Obama supporter and I will stand with the Dems come November because McCain will not be able to bring the country together he will only continue Bush's legacy and policies of the Repubs who will continue to antagonize the rest of the world with our shock and awe. Please quit this mudslinging and divisive tactics on behalf of Hillary. Those tactics only confirm my belief that Hillary will do anything and say anything to win. But like I said before I will support her if she gets the nod. Peace.

April 1, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  16. Dave, Atlanta, GA

Of course they want to end the race. They are leading. If they stopped the voting today, Obama would be the nominee so can you blame them? If I was playing a basketball game and I was up 10 points I would want the buzzer to go off too!!!

April 1, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. ltd1974

Paula! Do your reseach please!!!!!

April 1, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  18. ltd1974

So some on here are saying that thay want a President who LIED to get votes "Ohio & Texas and many more", and has really no experience as claimed. Wow! this speaks volume on who we are as a people. We had 8 years of bush lies, please no hillary lies for 4yrs which want happen anyways.

April 1, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  19. clinton

and Hillary wants everyone to vote only to overturn their voices and the outcome if its not in her interest...

April 1, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |