April 1st, 2008

Clinton: Obama campaign wants to end race

Chelsea Clinton has taken a high-profile role in her mother’s presidential campaign.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - As Sen. Hillary Clinton's underdog campaign soldiers on through Pennsylvania, Indiana and North Carolina, she has begun casting herself as a champion of democracy.

"There are some folks saying we ought to stop these elections," she said in Indianapolis, Indiana, on March 29 as the audience booed the notion. "I don't think we believe that in America," she said. "The more people that have a chance to vote, the better it is for our democracy."

As Pennsylvania's primary nears, Clinton's staffers have increasingly accused Barack Obama's campaign of trying to disenfranchise Democrats. On Monday, in a satellite interview with a television station in Montana, Clinton herself made the charge.

"My take on it is a lot of Sen. Obama's supporters want to end this race because they don't want people to keep voting," she told KTVQ in Billings, Montana. "That's just the opposite of what I believe. We want people to vote. I want the people of Montana to vote, don't you?"

It is a growing theme in Clinton's stump speech as she makes her way through upcoming primary states: that she alone, up against rival forces aiming to silence the millions of voters in the 10 remaining primary and caucus states, will stand up for their right to vote.

Full story

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Danel

Come on Hillary..Obama himself did not say that? Matter of fact he wants you to stay as long as you want. It's the elders or superdelegates you have to blame NOT Obama. Why twist words? You are losing your credibility.

April 1, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. Bibi

i think Hillary Clinton will win!!!!!! As women WE HAVE TO STAND UP AND SAY SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 1, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  3. Marcus

Sit down Hillary, sit down

April 1, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  4. Jim in FL

"We want people to vote. I want the people of Montana to vote, don't you?"

.... Psssst ... errr, Hillary .... no one is saying they can't vote. Or have we disenfranchised all the Republicans out there too because McCain is the presumptive GOP nominee ?

YOU GO GIRL !! DESTROY YOUR PARTY !!!

April 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  5. Iamwmd

Just the latest example of her lies and the deciding factor that will prevent her from becoming the Democratic nominee.

She continues to put herself in the spotlight and exxagerate each and every time.

If I was Camp Obama I would focus entirely on the remaining delegates and John McCain and let her continue to put her foot in her mouth.

Obama 08

April 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  6. Lin

Obama has a Senate history of jumping on the coat tails of others – that goes back to the state senate in Chicago. So, you are really fooling yourselves if you believe that the experience he does have in any way compares with Sen. Clinton's. Obama needs to spend some time actually working in the Senate. He's all for the prize, but not willing to do the work that gets him there. We can't afford to have on the job training.

April 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  7. Jay

Hillary needs to stay till the convention. She is the only one left capable of taking this country back to it's former greatness and prosperity.
    Obama is a fraud.If he is ever elected President our country will burn like Rome did and be completely destroyed.
    Hillary all the way 08!!!

April 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  8. Dylan

Actually no, Hillary... wrong AGAIN. Barack himself said last week that you should stay in the race as long as you want to and have every right to.

This is actually one topic on which I disagree with him... I think you should drop out now. But that's me, not Obama – so stop making blatanly false statements.

April 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  9. Eddie G

Blah, Blah, Blah....she just needs to go away. She blames the results of her poor campaign strategy on Obama. She agreed that FL and MI would not count when she thought she had the nomination wrapped up as a gift to her, but now wants to change the rules, and it is Obama's fault. She claims fatigue made her say that she was dodging sniper fire in Bosnia, and by the way, she is fatigued because Obama is beating her and she has to do some work. Obama's fault again. Now the one thing she can't blame on Obama, but probably will, is that she has a nasty personality and is a stubborn mule that won't go away.

April 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  10. Watcher

For the life of me I cannot understand the hostility towards the Clintons from their own party. Shame on you demoratics who feel the need to constantly belittle her and President Clinton just to lift up Obama. That is not what the party use to be. We use to stick together and agree to disagree, but now it seems to be okay to trash each other. With party members like you, who needs Rush or Rove

April 1, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  11. Jessi, Fl

This is rich coming from a woman who has repeatedly hinted it's okay for pledged delegates and superdelegates to overturn the will of the voters...I wonder how much she'll care about democracy when she's behind in the popular vote in June and needs supers to ignore the elections and pick her??

April 1, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  12. Steve

Wow, I liked what she said. I truely believe she will win!!!!1

April 1, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  13. Bill

Hillary Clinton is insulting the intelligence of many of her fellow
    democrats. It will insure a win for the republicans in November.

April 1, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  14. Asare

Obama has not said we should end the race.

April 1, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  15. Rose of San Antone

Who do Obama backers think they are to tell Hillary to drop out of the race. There are still some states that have not voted. I think the Obama backers are arrogent to suggest that. They don't want Michigan and Ohio to be placed at the convention because they know Hillary would win the Nomination. Of all the people who endorsed Obama I was most disappointed with Bill Richardson. I supported him at the beginning – he was my first choice for President. I just hope there were no backroom deals made, but I wouldn't be surprised because all politicians are alike. I am glad Hillary is not quitting, she is not a quitter. GO HILLARY !

April 1, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. VM

At this point, I hope she continues to the inevitable demise of her entire political career. I have seriously had it with her and entitlement issues.

April 1, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  17. sozzi

CNN, stop calling Hillary an underdog. Hillary was a favorite before the primaries, who couldn't close the deal on Feb. 05. NOW, she about to become a LOSER, not an underdog.

April 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  18. Lily

MORE LIES hillary?

April 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  19. Jack

This woman continues to lie to the public. Obama has said more then once that she should run as long as she wants.

Is it not a lie when she never heard him say that she should get out of the race. More reason not to vote for her. She will not know the truth even if it hit her in the face. Go away.

April 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  20. I Agree with Janie, Raleigh, N.C.

I am fed up with these rude, obnoxious children, I don't intend to vote for someone who garners this kind of hate in their supporters, and I don't intend to vote for someone who calls themselves a democrat and refuses to count the votes in a presidential primary.

voting is an American principle, and you have to love America in order to cherish it I guess.

April 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  21. ruby

Wait a minute.

Step back and think. Isn't this democracy built on the sovriegnty of the individual vote? Since when does the DNC count more than that one person in PA or IN or NC who want to cast their vote?

Think about it. If your state is at the end of the primary cycle and the DNC wants to avoid a long haul election - you may never have a vote.

The DNC needs to step aside and let people vote and then get together and actually do some work so the next election will actually work for the PEOPLE!

April 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  22. Smarter than You

Matt, you are an idiot.

April 1, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  23. Amy

Do you only approve messages, which only say something bad to Hillary?

April 1, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  24. Cynthia, Laguna Niguel, CA

Fantastic!!! Way to go, all the way to the White House.

Second ,who wants to vote for someone who listens to Rev. Writes speaches for 20 years!!!!! I wouldn't.

Guys!!!! It's time for a woman President!!!!! Just fook at (The Netherlands) One country that was and still is being incharged by a woman and does not depend on the U.S.A. for help!!!!!!!

Clinton -08

April 1, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  25. Disenfranchised in Florida

Please Obama supporters cool off and stop, please!!!

Hillary is not the enemy...

April 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |