April 1st, 2008

Clinton: Obama campaign wants to end race

Chelsea Clinton has taken a high-profile role in her mother’s presidential campaign.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - As Sen. Hillary Clinton's underdog campaign soldiers on through Pennsylvania, Indiana and North Carolina, she has begun casting herself as a champion of democracy.

"There are some folks saying we ought to stop these elections," she said in Indianapolis, Indiana, on March 29 as the audience booed the notion. "I don't think we believe that in America," she said. "The more people that have a chance to vote, the better it is for our democracy."

As Pennsylvania's primary nears, Clinton's staffers have increasingly accused Barack Obama's campaign of trying to disenfranchise Democrats. On Monday, in a satellite interview with a television station in Montana, Clinton herself made the charge.

"My take on it is a lot of Sen. Obama's supporters want to end this race because they don't want people to keep voting," she told KTVQ in Billings, Montana. "That's just the opposite of what I believe. We want people to vote. I want the people of Montana to vote, don't you?"

It is a growing theme in Clinton's stump speech as she makes her way through upcoming primary states: that she alone, up against rival forces aiming to silence the millions of voters in the 10 remaining primary and caucus states, will stand up for their right to vote.

Full story

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jay

Come on Hillary, Obama did not say that. Why do you keep making up stories and keeping some of your supporters so discouraged, take the high road and talk about the issues, .

April 1, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. Debra

Hillary Clinton is being exposed to harsh and humiliating treatment by CNN and some other media. Over and over again CNN reminds people about mistakes made by her husband. However, her small family is still united. CNN, what is the purpose of these evil nastinesses? Are you trying to break her down mentally? If so you are not going to succeed. Hillary Clinton is not only clever she is also an extraordinary strong personality. That´s why she is going to be a great President.

At the beginning of the campaign I thought that Barack Obama was an interesting person. I have changed my mind.

April 1, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. Bad Headlne

The headline is false, CNN makes it looks like its all Obama's idea to end the race when he clearly said that Hillary should run as long as she wants.

It should read: Obama SUPPORTERS wants to end race.

April 1, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  4. Penn State

I am so sick of seeing all of these stupid commercials with Obama!! It is starting to get very annoying. He is flooding the airwaves with his commercials. I change the channel every time I see his commercial. Whenever I change the channel, there is another Obama commercial. I feel like I am being forced to watch him.

April 1, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. Dave

And he was on attack on sniper fire in Bosnia!

April 1, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  6. cximines

Why do you think Hillary is being treated unfairly? No one is unfairly attacking the Clinton family. People just want her to do the right thing in all situations especially if she loves this country and the democratic party. I think she should stay in the race, she's just making Obama tougher so he can withsand the attacks of the evil republicans. We know they are going to be mean and nasty so she's just giving him a taste of what's to come.

April 1, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. Tyrone Brown, Seattle, WA

I am an Obama supporter and I agree that the nomination process should continue. In the end it only helps Obama, making him a "fully vetted" candidate and preparing him for anything and everything the Republican party will sling at him.

As we move forward to November, I look forward to joining my family, friends, co-workers and neighbors in the democratic process and making Barack Obama the next President of the United States.

Obama '08

April 1, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  8. Paula

In answer to the bogus e-mail re. Obama having a better record in the Senate, please read Newsweek article debunking the bogus claim about Clinton's legislative record. Clinton definitely has done far more. Just another lie from the Obama surrogates!!!!!

April 1, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  9. sb

I've got some news for Clinton.. The race was over weeks ago.

April 1, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  10. Go Hillary!!! Cosmic Comedy Queen!

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. Quitters never win and winners never quit.

April 1, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  11. Herman LA, CA

Well Hillary keep going and we will keep funding Obama to run as long as he has too. We will give him a trillion dollars if need be because there is to much at stake to let this country go to hell any further.

Obama 08!!!

April 1, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  12. Reality

The race is over, honey. Come back in 2016.

April 1, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  13. Sherry, Vermont

Hillary For Vice President 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 1, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  14. shawn

It's April, maybe we can be honored to see your tax returns sometime soon. I know it will be hard to explain to blue collar guys like me how if you are so concerned about the poor why is it that you have millions. When you have worked for the public for 35 years. Maybe you got a tax exempt status for combat pay in Bosnia.

April 1, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  15. CultureGeek

That is ridiculous. She _cannot_ get a lead in pledged delegates unless she gets a landslide in every remaining contest and that's not going to happen.

Clinton wants to go all the way to the convention in order to go over the voters' heads and she's been quite open about trying to do that. First she was wooing superdelegates to go over voters' heads, and now she's even trying to get pledged delegates to negate votes already cast!

How is that championing democracy?

April 1, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. Mike in Houston

Mrs. Clinton compared herself to Rocky at a campaign stop in PA. In this she is absolutely correct. Both her and Rocky are fictional characters with no depth beyond celluloid.

April 1, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  17. Stan

Why are the postings from the Obama supporters always so immature? Tired of seeing childish comments on these blogs. Don't we all have minds of our own? Why would a tight race hurt anyone? Everyone votes and the winner moves on to the next round, that is how it works in any competition. Why all these whining?

April 1, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  18. RW

It's true, the Obama cronies are desperate for her to drop out becaue of one painful truth... He CAN'T SEAL THE DEAL. Obama NEEDS her to drop out to get the nomination.

If the nomination were inevitable as some are saying, then he would have sealed the nomination 2 months ago. The fact is, that he is barely ahead in the popular vote and delegates. He has won more states only because he has done so well in red states that won't even be in play in November. His inability to win the ever important swing states shows how weak his candidacy really is.

Don't fool yourselves people. If Obama gets the nomination, he'll be lucky to do as well as John Kerry did 4 years ago.

April 1, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  19. Festus, Montana

. . . .Hillary, your dust won't fly here in Montana. We are all educated
    out here.

April 1, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  20. Dani

For a guy who speaks of change so much, Obama sure walks the walk of the same old same old. He plays dirty politics "mispeaks" a lot (more than Clinton does) and is held accountable for nothing. Sounds familiar. Come on Al Gore, step up, we could use a proven good intention and foresight to get this country back to greatness.

April 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  21. Bee

She doesn't look at the polls, she doesn't watch the news either. I saw Obama clearly saying yesterday she could go on as long as she wanted.

This is a sad day.

April 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  22. Sharon

Media bias against Hillary is at an all time high…..you better be careful….

You are going down a rather slippery slope…..if you continue to bash her the way you have the last couple weeks, not only will your precious BO lose 28% of her voters, he will lose the women's vote as well………..

April 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  23. ~ Jan, NJ

The only reason she continues to be campaigning is to fill her empty coffers so she can pay off her enormous debt.
    I think that the people don't need her to run the country if she can't even manage her own bills!

April 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. Dan , TX

Obama is just fine with Hillary staying in the race. Some of Obama's supporters want it to be over so they can focus and fund-raise for the fall. But I want Obama to campaign in the remaining states and MI and FL.

He is already tied with Clinton in MI, so a MI revote would be great. He will need 4 weeks to campaign in FL then he'll win there too.

Clinton is a great person, I respect her so much. She has been so wrongly criticized by so many people it just isn't fair. Clinton has a long career ahead of her and I know she'll continue to provide outstanding service to our country.

But, I do believe Obama is the type of leader we need now, I hope people who do not now back Obama will take a close look and I am sure they will see why I believe Obama has the policies and the strategy to implement policies that will propel us to a better future.

April 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  25. Puddytat

The race is over when the PEOPLE say it is ... right now HER supporters want her to stay in as long as she can ...

I wish Huckabee would have been able to stay in . I REFUSE TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN just because he and OBAMA are the Media choice ... and because of the way CNN gave him and Romney ALL of the debate time ... I REFUSE to watch their channel and I write their sponsors and tell them I will not buy their product as long as I see it on CNN.

April 1, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |