April 1st, 2008

Dean: Democrats will unify around nominee

DNC Chairman Howard Dean said Democrats will support the party's nominee.
DNC Chairman Howard Dean said Democrats will support the party's nominee.

(CNN)—Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said Tuesday a razor-thin margin of victory will not hurt the party’s unity so long as the elections are fair.

“One candidate is going to win with 50.2 percent of the votes and another candidate is going to lose by 49.8 percent of the votes,” Dean said. “I want to make sure that the candidate who doesn’t win this nomination feels they’ve been treated fairly according to the rules.”

Dean stressed again that he would like to see the race resolved by July 1—weeks before the party’s August convention.

Watch the entire interview today during the 4 p.m. hour of The Situation Room.

–CNN’s Emily Sherman

1. jorge lopez

I will never vote for MR. Obama . If is not Hillary then will be McCain. Dean you should Count my vote...

April 1, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. DUSTIN

I AM A REGISTERED MEMBER OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON – SHE'S FAKE, SHE PLAYS POLITICS, AND I DO NOT FEEL I CAN TRUST HER.

GO OBAMA!!!

April 1, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  3. janene

Michigan and Florida voters must be outraged. I would be extremely upset if my vote did not count. The democratic party is in trouble. People are very divided on this. If Dean cannot see this he must be blind! This should be about the people . I have been a democrat all of my life and this race has me thinking maybe I should become an independent!

April 1, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  4. DB, San Francisco

I hope Dean's right, but it sure doesn't look that way right now!

April 1, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  5. pat

look at the electriol collage votes hillary is leading

April 1, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. mary

Mr. Dean is not telling me what to do. He has already screwed up the Democratic Party by letting Florida and Michigan go the side. He will not push HIS candidate down my throat! I will vote for either Clinton or McCain NOT Mr. Dean's CHOICE!!

April 1, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. chris

No matter what happens – Clinton won't feel she was treated fairly unless she wins /sigh

April 1, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. K. Dillon, Montana

. . .To all the voters who say they will vote for McCain out of spite, Go
    ahead and vote for the war monger. Besides, SOMEBODY'S son or daughter has to get sent to war and get blown off the face of the earth.
    Maybe it will be your's.

Obama 08.

April 1, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. Lin

You must be kidding. There is no way I will vote for Obama – He is a relative unknown with no substance. He is not qualified to be the president of the U.S. at this time. For the good of the party, he needs to step aside. The young voters that are thrilled to death with him also don't have the experience behind them to make such a very critical decision for the country's good. They have to come down from the mountain top and look at the facts about Obama's experience. It is very limited at best.

April 1, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  10. BK

Its Clinton or McCain never Obama.

April 1, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. Brando

Pure and utterly wishful thinking, Dean. You are OUT of a job come Nov. 5.

April 1, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |