April 1st, 2008

Pelosi: Dem race has to 'run its course'

Pelosi said Tuesday the presidential race should run its course.
Pelosi said Tuesday the presidential race should run its course.

(CNN) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Tuesday she wants the Democratic presidential election to continue through the last round of primaries, but warned against a floor fight at the party's August convention.

"I think the election has to run its course," Pelosi said, later adding, "I do think it is important for us to get behind one candidate a long time before we go to the Democratic convention if we expect to win in November."

Pelosi's comments come as Hillary Clinton is increasingly suggesting she is willing to take her presidential bid all the way to the Democratic convention at the end of the summer.

"I have no intention of stopping until we finish what we started and until we see what happens in the next 10 contests and until we resolve Florida and Michigan. And if we don't resolve it, we'll resolve it at the convention - that's what credentials committees are for," the New York Democrat told the Washington Post.

In the interview Tuesday, Pelosi said she understands why Clinton is making that argument, since 10 more primary contests remain over the next two months.

"We don't know what these next elections will do. We do not know what the conduct of the campaigns in the next four to six weeks will produce," she said. "So if you are a candidate for president, you certainly are saying that you are going to the convention - you can't say anything but. And Senator Clinton might well be going to that convention as the nominee."

But Pelosi suggested a clear frontrunner will emerge well before the party's convention.

"At some point it'll be clear that there is a frontrunner - and at that point we would hope that, for the greater good, for the country, that we can all rally as early as possible behind one person," she said.

The House Speaker also maintained her argument that the party's superdelegates should not overturn the pledged-delegate outcome, and suggested she wasn't affected by a recent letter from powerful Clinton fundraisers criticizing that stance.

"It wasn't important to me," she said of the letter.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. Disenfranchised in Texas

If your change the rules and let Florida and Michigan get their way AFTER the fact ...are you not disenfranchising the rest of the nation who stuck to the rules established by the DNC?

Society has rules of conduct, we have constitutional laws, federal and state governments as well as municipalities have rules of governing, businesses have corporate by-laws and rules on ethics and answer to the SEC, and ABOVE ALL in a democracy ELECTION RULES need to be adhered to.

I don't care what Hillary says about why she wants Florida and MIchigan to count...we all know why she wants them to count. The rest of us DO NOT want you to give in to their whinning AFTER THE FACT.

April 1, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  2. david

i dont get you people!if you want higher taxes,etc go ahead and vote for slick hilly or osama hussein obama.you people are either stupid or you just dont get it.

McCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCain for pres you dummys.

April 1, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  3. Haley

I love Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton, and I do agree with Nancy Pelosi on the fact that this race should go on, Barack Obama may be in the lead now, but after 22 April and the contests in May, Hillary will be, so we do have need to just relax about this whole thing and realize that if this does go to superdelegates that she will win anyway, so Obama supporters quit saying that he can win this nomination.

April 1, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  4. Cee

I would like to see the Clinton's tax information before I vote as well to get a sense of what their investments were and I'd like to know more about this mysterious $12 million that they keep bringing up in the news. I want to be as fully informed as possible before selecting a candidate.

April 1, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  5. After further review,Texas

Whats really fun, is watching the Republicans and Rush supporters try every dirty trick in the book before the Titanic slips in to the sea.

April 1, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  6. Kentucky

Obama has a sense of ENTITLEMENT. Does anyone know why?

If I was Obama I would not want Michigan and Florida to vote either!

Maybe Obama should drop out of the race when Clinton has the popular vote after ALL the votes are counted. I too if I was Obama would want to narrow the race and not include all the states. He has alot to fear if Clinton wins the poplar vote and he is chosen because he won a bunch of caucus states that NEVER vote democratic. He knows he will lose in the fall.
    Neither Obama or Clinton will win the delegate amount needed to win the nomination. Pelosi and others need to shut up and be leaders. I am glad I wont have to sit here and expect that to happen cause it wont. We believe in people and elections in Kentucky, not party bosses. Would be refreshing of Obama did too.

April 1, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  7. A. Boston, MA

If there was any honor in the Clinton's supposed legacy it has been completely obliterated. Hillary Clinton is a liar and out of selfishness has no respect for the democratic process. She wouldn't get my vote in a million years...

Obama 08

April 1, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  8. Joan

Well, good for you. You are going to let the people vote to elect a president. What a novel idea! It is quite extraordinary.

April 1, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. jyh1920

"Hillarity" still can't win with Florida and Michigan.
    She and her flandering husband are a joke.

April 1, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  10. annie

No more liars for president!! Hillary, go make up more lies about your experience. It's amazing to me that you've gotten as far as you have.
    -Bosnia lies
    -Dirty campaign
    -Win at all costs
    -Disaster of a husband
    -Crying to get votes
    -Ummm...tax returns please?

You are behind all your own problems, Are you pathological? Compared to a big mouth minister your problems are actually just you, not someone else. Rev, Wright wasn't speaking for anyone but himself and last time I checked he wasn't running for president. You scare me Hillary.

April 1, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. Ron

Whomever the Democratic nominee turns out to be, that person will have the slimest of margins over the other person. In no way will either candidate be able to claim anything else. It is entirely possible that the candidates will go to the convention with one having more pledged delegates and the other having more of the popular vote. Regardless, the superdelegates are going to chose the Democratic nominee. Therefore, I hope the superdelegates honor the popular vote of their respective states and support the candidate that won in their state. Anything less would be ignoring the will of the people they are supposed to represent.

April 1, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  12. JAB

Can somebody shut her up?

April 1, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  13. scbrown

Now, I see why Nancy Pelosi is changing her mind about Obama.

The More Obama speaks the more he sound weird!!!

IN OBAMA OWNS WORDS:

" I DONT WANT MY DAUGHTERS TO BE PUNISHED BY A BABY"

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE–

WHAT SWING/RED STATE DEMOCRAT WHO IS UP FOR REELECTION THIS YEAR WANT TO BE SEEN WITH OBAMA!

THIS AD WILL BE IN HIS/HER DISTRICT!

April 1, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  14. Jim

Thank God for Hillary, she is our only hope. Hillary, keep fighting we are with you all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obama can't beat MCcain.

April 1, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  15. Moombay

The voters, especially those of two very important states, Florida and Michigan, believe that their votes should count. They voted and should not be disenfranchised. And the popular vote count and the delegate vote count should be worked out "before going to the convention", so that all numbers can be counted in a way that's fair to all candidates. Anything less than a full accounting before the convention of these delegates and votes would not be considered legitimate. And if this is not done, unfortunately the Democratic Party may very well suffer in November.

April 1, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  16. Matt

Zip it, Pelosi.

April 1, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  17. Bic from CT

Nancy does not want to go againest the way the states voted for Hillary or Obama. Everyone should of told Kennedy that before he was the first to jump ship on his state. After Rev. Wrights words of hate I do not see how anyone would vote for Obama. That only showed me how much of a lier he turned out to be. I don't think Nancy knows what she wants either. She is flip flopping now.

April 1, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  18. Bic from CT

The only way we would know who got the most votes is if they find a way to count the votes from Florida and Michigan. If they can do that then I would agree the person with the less amount of votes should take a walk. I can not see how you can leave out all those votes and tell the people from those states they don't count. I do not see how anyone would ever know what would of really happen if the vote are not counted. COUNT ALL VOTES FROM ALL STATES. This is America isn't it???????????????????????????

April 1, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  19. Cathy in FL

Tell Hillary... she didn't want our votes/delegates in FL when we voted earlier this year, so she can't have them now! Funny she only wants us now thats he needs us!

April 1, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  20. mark

Niether of these two can win. Obama's church lost middle of the road america and Hillary is never embraced at a level over 50 percent of all voters (not just democratic). It's time to look for a compromise candidate (al gore)

April 1, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  21. Reality check #1

The Obama baggage is getting too heavy to carry for anyone. He is unelectable and the Democrats will come out in record numbers to vote Republican if he is the nominee, the big wigs are begining to see this. I, for one will surely drop the Democratic party if he is the nominee. At least with McCain we won't have to wonder what will surface next, and the welfare line will shorten. I blame the media for giving Obama a free ride when they knew so much about him to begin with and kept tight lipped about it until now They still have not informed the voters on all his acquantances and garbage. There is more to come, if I can find it, which I have, anyone can.

April 1, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  22. Chris H

Get it over with already. In February I was all in to the process, excited about the two candidates, enjoying the democratic process. Now I don't even care. The Clinton tactics, the Wright speech, the double talk has made this season just like the rest, sickening to my stomach. Get it over with and let's move on.

Anyone but a Republican 08 " I can't afford a Republican economy"

April 1, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. pretzelONEgeorgebushZERO

Pelosi is an idiot, obviously. Just shut up and try to get something done for once. Impeaching Dubya & Cheney would be a nice start!!

April 1, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  24. Tex

I want Hillary to stay in and get beaten fair and square and by Obama who has taken the high road. That way there can never ever be any excuses given by Hillary, Bill or Chelsea. The Clintons are all losers!

April 1, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  25. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

If America doesn't support Hillary now, then we will never forgive America. In fact, we may move to another country where Hillary would be appreciated. Don't let this happen: It's up to you America. Vote Hillary now. After all, all the other candidates suck (majorly).

April 1, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |