April 2nd, 2008

McCain says 20 names on the VP list, takes dig at Quayle

CNN

Watch McCain's comments on his VP process.

(CNN) – John McCain said Wednesday he's compiled his initial list of potential running mates.

The presumptive Republican nominee said on his campaign bus that the list has approximately 20 names on it, but said it will take "weeks if not months" to narrow the list down.

"It's the same process that has been used by Democrats and Republicans," the Arizona senator said. "It's not an unusual thing. You put the list together and then you just could do a cursory kind of a look that I guess you could do on Google."

McCain also said he hopes to name his running mate before the party's convention in September, as has been the practice in several recent presidential elections.

"I'd love to do it earlier in the run than later, but it depends on the process," he said. "We just really haven't gotten far enough along in the whole thing to really be able to even predict what we're doing, seriously."

In 2004, John Kerry announced his selection of John Edwards in early July - more than six weeks before the Democratic convention.

But McCain said he did not want to rush the process, hoping to avoid what he said were mistakes past nominees had made in choosing a vice presidential candidate. Specifically, McCain singled out the first President Bush's selection of then-Sen. Dan Quayle who had "not been briefed and prepared for some of the questions."

"I'm a great friend of Dan Quayle's and I think he was a fine senator," McCain also said. "I just think that it was you know, a lot of people in retrospect would have thought maybe the process should have been...I just think you have to have a measured process, make sure that you have taken every, all the factors into consideration and then decide."

Related: McCain mulls list of potential running mates

– CNN's Dana Bash and Alexander Mooney contributed to this report

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Anyone but Obamination

I think he will choose wisely, it is his best shot ever of being President. Obama is a sure loser if he is the nominee. Hillary can beat McCain in November. The superdelegates may have the good sense to nominate Hillary.

April 2, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  2. Dave

Mike in Houston doesn't like a candidate put to a vote. Really -Why not?

April 2, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  3. J.

John McCain's List of 20 Potential Running Mates:

Any questions?

April 2, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. Haley Rodman Clemson

Hey John, put me on your list. I want to be the VP. I especially want to be the VP to a President who is in his seventies (wink, wink.) Seriously though, pick a devoted conservative who has been a governor.

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Winfred

The advice I want to give McCain that he doesn`t need to pick up his VP mate. I know that Bush is doing better than McCain, but he is not be able to end the war in Iraq. If McCain wins the President of the United States that will get more worse than Bush administration. I strongly believe that it is time for Obama to win the president of the United States "2008"Please LISTEN me..............

April 2, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  6. tom

Eric, do you really think anyone in the world would respect an inexperienced, peace loving hippie, "yes" man (I'll concede to anything hostile countries demand), overly amibitious addict like Obama? If Obama is President, we would be tempting hostile countries and terrorists and engage in more misdeeds against us. Remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, Bay of Pigs Invasion, etc? Those things happened because the Russians did NOT respect an innocent guy like Kennedy. Indeed, Obama's presidency would be a scary one.

April 2, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. Mintlee

My comment is to remember your friend -- Huckabee or Condi Rice.
    The most important thing is to get someone that is a real Christian Mr. McCain. God can still use you.

April 2, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  8. Mintlee

To CHERYL:
    I wonder what you will do when Mr. Obama wins--you can't eat a show! I would love to meet you after he wins CHERYL.......
    Know, I pray Mr. Huckabee will be VP for Mc Cain.

April 2, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. Gary

OBAMA IS ELECTABLE AND WILL WIN THE RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 2, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. kim portland, oregon

mccain/liberman certainly is the best-matched ticket-two LIARS!!!!plus he needs lieberman to whisper the answers in his ear.

we've already had 7 years of a dangerous, creepy puppet, we dont need that again!

obama would be the BEST candidate for many reasons but especially when it comes to foreign policy-an intelligent, thoughtful, level-headed, FRESH, and yes i'll say it, brown, man!!! considering the majority of the planet is brown!!!!

the flip-flopping war-mongerer would be the WORST person to send in-an angry, out of touch, forgetful, old white man who promises "more wars"!!!!!

just cuz he was a war hero in the 60s, doesnt make him knowledgable on the world's problems today. and he AINT!!!

obama/edwards 08!!!

April 2, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  11. kathleen

20 names? Is this some kind of joke? Can you imagine the Democrats each having a 20 name list. Nothing else for McCain
    to talk about. Like fixing America. and what about the Troops. And
    the fact that we do not have enough troops to send to Afghanistan
    because they are tied up in Iraq. And what about the National Guard.
    that were set up to protect American on America's soil????Oh, My God!! Help us, Lord.

Obama 2008 and no one else.

April 2, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  12. Darth Vadik, CA

Wow, no John Yoo torture memo story here either.......

April 2, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  13. A CANUCK

I just can't picture McCain as president ........when he speaks he comes across as weak and whiny. And he really should do something about his teeth... . he whistles like an old codger when
    he talks.

April 2, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  14. michael kees Lafayette la

Dan Quayle and. John McCain sounds like a double serving of warmed over beets. I hate it!

April 2, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  15. Tim, Hershey,PA

I believe choosing these fine Republicans would benefit not only him but also bring on board the independents as well as minority voters. This is the order I would ask them to be Vice President:
    1.Crist–popular southern Gov.in an important state
    2.Colin Powell–popular statesman and minority respected by both
    parties
    3. Condaleeza Rice– very experienced in world matters, intellegent
    young who speaks fluent Russian.
    4.Tom Ridge- popular Gov in a swing state. Neo concervatives
    don't like him but we're trying to attract Indepentents.
    war veteran who understands the dangers that lie
    ahead.