April 2nd, 2008

New Clinton red phone ad airing in Pennsylvania

A New Clinton ad is similar to “Children,” a spot that aired last month.
A New Clinton ad is similar to “Children,” a spot that aired last month.

Hillary Clinton's campaign has gone live in Pennsylvania with a new ad that features sleeping children, and a 3 a.m. crisis call - but this time, the spot takes aim at John McCain. The 30-second spot - "Ringing" - highlights Clinton's "readiness to be steward of the economy on Day One."

On a conference call with reporters, spokesman Howard Wolfson said that Clinton had not faced any economic crises before, but that she possessed "a rich and deep understanding of complex problems" that gave her the tools to deal with them.

(Full script after the jump)

Hillary For President
“Ringing"
TV :30

Announcer: It’s 3 am, and your children are safe and asleep.

But there’s a phone ringing in the White House and this time the crisis is economic.
Home foreclosures mounting, markets teetering.

John McCain just said the government shouldn’t take any real action on the housing crisis, he’d let the phone keep ringing.

Hillary Clinton has a plan to protect our homes, create jobs.

It’s 3 am, time for a president who’s ready.

Hillary Clinton: I’m Hillary Clinton and I approve this message.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Pennsylvania
  1. Devo-Mar

correction: To bad in 1947, nobody believed a spouse would run for the office president.

April 2, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  2. Tanya K, White girl from the South

Fellow Democrats: Obama and Clinton have made me upset with this sguabbling and nonsence, but one cannot win without the other. I am a Hillary supporter, but a shared ticket would do fine for me. Maybe Obama can be a uniter.

April 2, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. andrea, Illinois

Give me a break.....
    I really don't like Hillary, but this tops everything. Are they really that stupid????? How about using the money to pay off the bills instead of airing a new, useless ad? She seriously wants to convince me that she has the right ideas for our economy, when her own campaign is an utter mess? Boy, Hillary, you really should go home, before you have nothing left.

April 2, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. uchujin

She thinks she's sleep deprived now???? If she ever was lucky enough to pull off getting elected despite all the lies and deceit, that phone won't just ring at 3:00am, it'll ring all night 'cause she'll have everything so messed up it'll just be one crisis after another. And that won't be the only phone ringing. The non-crisis line won't stop either with everyone trying to get their favors repaid. This country will be in an even bigger mess. I'm sleep deprived too worrying about my construction related business, but it doesn't make want to lie to the whole country.

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. 4REAL

Hillary that is the wrong message to send to people. Why would the White House at 3:am be making judgement on something that could wait until 7am. Get real this is studpid. I hope that when people see this ad for home foreclosure and jobs, it will lead them to think you can handle this crisis at 3am. Poor judgement Hillary. This is not a 3am crisis. You can't talk to anybody about foreclosure and jobs at 3am in the morning unless you are trading overseas. Thank you

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  6. Angela D

Wait...I'm suppose to take someone who can't manage the fiscal responsibilities of their own presidential nominee campaign seriously when it comes to the economy of the entire country? John McCain may not be up on economics as some believe he should be but out of the 3 candidates in this race, Hillary Clinton is by and far the last one to point any fingers at any time of day or night.

April 2, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  7. Washington

3.am Red Phone ad is an insult to the people of Rwanda. Paul Rusesabagina called the White House for several times during the Rwandan Genocide in 1994, but no body did anything. From Kigali the city of Rwanda, Paul Rusesabagina called the White House at 3.am which was 10.am their time. If Hilary Clinton continues with this kind of ad, i think i will backfire across the board. Hilary Clinton failed to act when the phone rang at 3.am in 1994.

April 2, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. Lisa from GA

I am Hillary Clinton and I approve this ad....blah blah blah blah.
    I am an Obama supporter and I approve this ad SUCKS!!!!!!

Just like you Hillary.. what a joke!

I am tired of the phone ringing method... Slick Hillbilly can't you come up with something different.....

April 2, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  9. Joel

Yes I know it is three am. Maam. But I have come up with another great lie about Obama for you to release just before the PA vote. Yes Maam it is even better than the Nafta lie we used to fool the Ohio voters.

April 2, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  10. Carlos

I wonder what Bill will be doing at 3 a.m., while Hillary is answering phone calls of all sorts...

April 2, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  11. Gail DiBennardo

Senator Clinton is the best choice for the party. She's smart, she's experienced, just has more of the political ins and outs that a candidate needs. I would love to see 8 years of Senator Clinton and then 8 more years of Obama. By then he will be ready to take the helm and we can say that for 16 years the government was in good democratic hands. By the way, I like the ad

April 2, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  12. Sea_Kenchan

We all know who is going to be answering the 3 AM phone call. It's Bill Clinton saying, "honey, I"ll get it." She is not a legitimate presidential candidate. She is a vice presidential candidate for Bill's third term. Any vote for Hillary is a vote for Billary. Are we to choose between McCain (W's third term), or Billary's third term?

April 2, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  13. wisdom002

Ah God! give us a break!!! It's just the routine!

April 2, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  14. Shane

I like this Ad. She looks like a leader now. Thanks..Hillary.

April 2, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  15. F. Seville, Maryland

The 9 / 11 commissioner Lee Hamilton endorsed Senator Obama today.
    This obviouly makes him more capable of answering the red phone. (Hillary just got a touch of green envy, and countered with an ad.)

April 2, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  16. HH

Here we go again, Im glad to see it is focused on John McCain.

Hillary its over. Take your million dollar club AND go back to New York.

ITS OVER if Billary DOES NOT win Pennsylvania by 25 points.

Quote Bill Clinton
    "She needs a big big big win in PA"

April 2, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  17. Marc

The only red phone she should be answering is the one for her to quit.

Obama 08!

April 2, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  18. B. Gamble

. . . .Senator Obama recieved the endorsement of 9 / 11 commissioner
    Lee Hamilton. I wonder if Hillary re-made this ad out of spite?

April 2, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  19. Sharon

Obaaaammmmaa, gettin' angry.......

GO HILLARY!!!! Anyone see the NEW Quinnepiac POLLS.....No story from the media?????
    HILLARY BEATS McCAIN NATIONALLY IN FLORIDA, PENNSYLVANIA AND OHIO!!!!!!!!!!!!! By GOOD amounts!!!!! McCAIN BEATS BO IN FL!!!!!!!!!
    WHOO HOO!!!

April 2, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  20. Wise Dem.

Polls after polls have shown that Mccain will be the best to answer that 3.00am phone call.

April 2, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  21. Mk

It's 2008 do they really think that someone is going to call the white house at 3 am on an old red telephone?????
    This ad is old.. Old...OLD

April 2, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  22. Sara from Arizona

Enough of these Clintons!!! OBAMA 08'

April 2, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  23. Nick

This is great, if she's gonna keep on fighting, she needs to prove she can take on McCain...

April 2, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  24. Bob

Of course, with all unpaid bills from her campaign, Hillary has a lot of experience in dealing with "complex problems". I would imagine how she handles her 3:00 AM calls: "I won't pay, so sue me!".

April 2, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  25. charles

3a.m call for an economy crisis. Are you people losing yr mind or what.This is the silliest thing i have ever heard. You deal with the economy during daylight not in the middle of the night. Who will be that stupid person who will call a President in the middle of the night to talk abt the economic crisis. Get a life..

April 2, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |