April 2nd, 2008

Visibly annoyed, Obama refuses to pose for picture

CNN

Watch a man repeatedly asks Obama to pose for a photograph.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - A visibly annoyed Barack Obama gave a flat-out "no" Wednesday to a rather persistent man who approached the Illinois senator numerous times throughout morning asking to pose for a photograph with him.

The campaign claims the man was seeking to sell items on eBay, the online auction site.

"They wanted a picture to authenticate the signatures," said spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "They were first at the Senator's hotel and tried to get in front of third graders who were lined up to see Senator Obama."

In the e-mailed statement, Psaki continued, "After being disruptive the police moved them to the sidewalk. They then followed the motorcade to the second stop at the market and continued to push for a picture to authenticate whatever they could get signed."

(Full back-and-forth from the pool report after the jump)

Run-in #1: outside a shop, on the way in
Man: Senator can I have a quick picture with you
Man: It will take you two seconds. Don't cram me, I'm not doing anything to anybody. Jesus.

Run-in #2: after the shop
Man: "Senator can I get a picture with you?"
Obama: (slightly annoyed) "You are wearing me out, brother."
Man: "I got one with [Clinton] and I got one with McCain, come on Senator that's not right."

Run in #3: in the street
Man: "Senator, can I please, a quick one?
Obama: (very annoyed) No, you know what? no.
Man: Can I just say something to you real fast.
Obama: Yeah you can.
Man: I had one with [Clinton], had one with Senator McCain
Obama: I am sure you do. Because when I was trying to talk to some kids - and I know, look –

Man: No, my wife is a school teacher and she was there, she had to go back and that wasn't right what wont you just take a picture with me, I'm not asking you for a autograph, it's for my family.

Obama: Yeah well, whatever. Just take it. I won't be smiling. Because you're wearing me out. ..No no, you've been really rude about it. Just take a shot.

Obama and the man did not take a shot, the man was still arguing and the secret service stepped in (non confrontationally), just putting a hand between him and Obama.

Secret Service: That's it.
Man: No I'm good. All I want is a picture, that's it.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Democracy

sounds like a Billary supporter..........mmm dont trust anyone from the billary clinton camp

April 2, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. Doug, Florida

HRC: I'm not quitting! I am in this for the long haul because the people deserve a choice – they deserve a president who's ready on DAY 1.
    OBAMA: Give it a rest Hillary then continue Swearing Ceremonies
    Obama 08

April 2, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  3. Sharon

BOY, Hope no world leaders try to get a photo of him.....this man wants to be presidents and a photographer ticks him off that easy? Hmmmmm...

April 2, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  4. Rose - Baltimore, MD

A picture to sell on ebay???? You even cut infront of kidswhile Obama was taking to them to get a picture and why is he insisting. he is indeed rude.

April 2, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. kab

Remember Bob Kennedy.

Obama be careful...anything can happen.

How could such a jerk even reach so close to Obama?

I am happy that Obama is alive today.

April 2, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. Lancaster John

Who cares! Like this is news? Next you will be following Obama into the bathroom to see if he uses paper or the air dryer on his hands. This is just getting too silly. April first is over, get some hard news guys!!!!

April 2, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. Change 4 America LA, CA

What a darn shame to be so rude, I would have not taken a picture with him either.

April 2, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. mp

Stalker comes to mind...I don't know how the candidates stand it.

April 2, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. Gayle

This guy was a real nut head.

April 2, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. Matthew

Take the stupid photo for crying out loud. All Obama does is whine. Guess it's time for another vacation.

I hope this gets played a lot on Philly.

April 2, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  11. HRC, it's over babe

Ouch! This sounds irritating...what sort of a pest was that man.
    Why would he go before the kids? I hope he is not a Clinton agent trying to create news.

April 2, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. Jay

Obama is a SNOB!

April 2, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  13. Concerned Voter

Is this really news? Who cares.

April 2, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  14. The Great One

can't stand paparazzi! GET A REAL JOB PUNK!

April 2, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  15. jks

Wow, cnn, you did something not pro-Obama. I'm shocked and how long will it be until you change the title?

We all know Obama is no saint.

WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!

HILLARY 08

April 2, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  16. Emma

Why should he agree to pose for someone who only wants to sell it on Ebay!

Please get a life and please report the story accurately.............

If Senator Obama refuses to smile, less money for the seller. Next time tell the person "NO" and keep walking.

April 2, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  17. gerard morei

Great attitude for a PEOPLE'S CHOICE, maybe Obama feels to superior to take a photo with a regular guy.

April 2, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  18. The Tax Man Commeth...

Ok....this is news because?????

April 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. MJC

I saw the footage and Obama was pretty cool about the situation. The guy did not seem genuine and a little strange. Obama said go a head and take the picture. The guys friend looked like he did get the picture. We'll see it on Ebay soon.

April 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  20. Rose - Baltimore, MD

A picture to sell on ebay???? He even cut infront of kids while Obama was taking to them to get a picture and why was the guy following him all morning? He's opening remarks on the conversation were indeed rude. If I were Obama I wouldn't take the picture with him either.

April 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. Susan MO

Obama is showing his hateful side. Not good. We were for him at first, but now now. He lacks experience.

FOR CLINTON

April 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  22. Mike

That is the problem with these persistent photobugs for whatever reason. I can understand Obama's frustration as I have a relative who is famous and it can get tiring. You just have to be nice and let them have it otherwise they will hound you to death.

Hillary 08

April 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  23. ALWAYS IN MODERATION

This site is very biased. If you just read the headline you get a very negative image of Mr. Obama when it appears he had good reason to say no.

April 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  24. Celia Ann

There are "Delux-Nutts" all over the world. Thank God for Secret Service Men.

April 2, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. HP Boston

So whats the big deal big man, you sure show a lack of leadership! One crummy picture and it is over, it not like your big ears would fit the shot!

April 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |