April 2nd, 2008

Visibly annoyed, Obama refuses to pose for picture

CNN

Watch a man repeatedly asks Obama to pose for a photograph.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - A visibly annoyed Barack Obama gave a flat-out "no" Wednesday to a rather persistent man who approached the Illinois senator numerous times throughout morning asking to pose for a photograph with him.

The campaign claims the man was seeking to sell items on eBay, the online auction site.

"They wanted a picture to authenticate the signatures," said spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "They were first at the Senator's hotel and tried to get in front of third graders who were lined up to see Senator Obama."

In the e-mailed statement, Psaki continued, "After being disruptive the police moved them to the sidewalk. They then followed the motorcade to the second stop at the market and continued to push for a picture to authenticate whatever they could get signed."

(Full back-and-forth from the pool report after the jump)

Run-in #1: outside a shop, on the way in
Man: Senator can I have a quick picture with you
Man: It will take you two seconds. Don't cram me, I'm not doing anything to anybody. Jesus.

Run-in #2: after the shop
Man: "Senator can I get a picture with you?"
Obama: (slightly annoyed) "You are wearing me out, brother."
Man: "I got one with [Clinton] and I got one with McCain, come on Senator that's not right."

Run in #3: in the street
Man: "Senator, can I please, a quick one?
Obama: (very annoyed) No, you know what? no.
Man: Can I just say something to you real fast.
Obama: Yeah you can.
Man: I had one with [Clinton], had one with Senator McCain
Obama: I am sure you do. Because when I was trying to talk to some kids - and I know, look –

Man: No, my wife is a school teacher and she was there, she had to go back and that wasn't right what wont you just take a picture with me, I'm not asking you for a autograph, it's for my family.

Obama: Yeah well, whatever. Just take it. I won't be smiling. Because you're wearing me out. ..No no, you've been really rude about it. Just take a shot.

Obama and the man did not take a shot, the man was still arguing and the secret service stepped in (non confrontationally), just putting a hand between him and Obama.

Secret Service: That's it.
Man: No I'm good. All I want is a picture, that's it.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. pj

wow, is this news???

April 2, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. Shaun Deshede

So Obama supporters always say this is the doing of the Hillary campaign? What about the hecklers that go after Bill when he's campaigning for Hillary? What about the hecklers that go after Hillary when she's campaigning. What about the guy in NC who wouldn't let the lewinsky thing drop because he wanted to bring that up? Was all that Obama's campaign's doing? If people think this is Hillary's doing, then all those were Obama's doing and he should be really ashamed of himself.

April 2, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  3. Lady

Two words: Weird and scary

April 2, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. Linda

Ohhhh. This just made my day. Sounds like pretty boy has a temper too. Maybe he could be McCain's veep, they should get along just fine.

April 2, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  5. Interesting

I wonder if fox news can spin this into a racial confrontation.

April 2, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. Sam Rose

I have seen major sports stars refuse to pose and sign articles when they suspect it is an opportunist at work-(those looking to profit from an autograph and dated picture)

Obama '08

April 2, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. Gobama

Where is the vaunted Secret Services when you need one to deal with a unmannerly, rude, crude and boorish STALKER and sicko or psycho!

When does 'no' means no for a psycho?

April 2, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. FNJ in PA

HILLARY supporters are the strangest, and
    rudest people EVER.

April 2, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  9. California girl

This interaction between a citizen and Obama shows Obama's rock star attitude. Obama's ego is full blown and out of control.

Hillary 08

April 2, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  10. deli

Temper Temper!!!!

April 2, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  11. Chris from San Antonio

Can we have a man that refuses to take a picture with a persistently rude man as President??

Vote Hillary. She'll take a picture with anybody. Even Rezko.

April 2, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  12. HAM

I wonder what he was selling on EBAY... signed copies of Obama's book? If you haven't read it you should... interesting stuff in there!

April 2, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  13. LaLa in KCMO

Obama 2008 and 2012

Bye, Billary ... it's wasn't so nice knowing ya.

April 2, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  14. Michael from Seattle

At least the Obama camp is getting better at reacting to stories like this. They were out in front of it early with their reasoning. Rather than let people think that Barack was just being mean they've come out with their version of events. They used to be quite slow at this and it's gotten them into trouble in the past. It's nice to see that they are learning to control the narrative better.

The bottom line is that this guy wasn't some concerned voter, he was an opportunist. You don't cut in front of 3rd graders... didn't you learn that in 3rd grade?

April 2, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  15. Hillary

I don't like Barack, but I don't blame him for getting annoyed. I would have probably socked the Ebay guy in the kisser.

Hillary '08

April 2, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  16. Seth

Slow news day again, apparently...

April 2, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  17. VOTER FOR TRUTH AND DIGNITY IN AMERICA

Obama is going to win Pennsylvania. Hillary will never quit.
    Hillary likes spending campaign money too much. But owes
    Insurance Premium for her campaign staff of over $2,000.00

Obama 2008 or no one. I won't vote for another liar.

April 2, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. James

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT 08

April 2, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. Dare

Why is this news? Why aren't you talking about the endorsement from Lee Hamilton of the 9/11 Commission? Or about how Obama actually won Texas!

April 2, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. Independent

I hope people will give Obama a break on this one. The guy was a pest and was likely just trying to get a photo with him to make money selling forged Obama signatures on Ebay.

Check the politico.com story – it's a bit more meaty than our standard CNN fluff bits.

April 2, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. Belle

Go ahead Smart Mouths....keep disenfranchising the voters for Hillary...see how close Obama gets to the White House!

DEMOCRATS FOR MCCAIN!

April 2, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  22. Michelle

Good for Obama. These Ebay guys are cheapskates. They forge signatures of celebrities/candidates to sell on E-Bay, and for authentication they take a picture with the celebrity/candidate. Sounds almost like what stars go through on a day to day basis with the paparazzi. They take pictures and sell them to the magazines. I'm glad Obama brushed this jerk off.

April 2, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  23. Jason

I know someone who had the same experience with obama at an event in Spencer, Iowa at which Obama refused to pose for a photo....saying just take one but i don't have time to pose....apperently he's too good to pose with voters.

April 2, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  24. April in Texas

I dont blame Obama especially as rude as that guy was. Especially if his wife is a teacher and for him to be arguing when Obama was speaking with children, the gentleman should KNOW better. I hope people take notice as Obama was going to let the guy get the picture but it was the secret service that stopped that from happening.. Good for them!

Obama 08

April 2, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  25. suzy

Hillary would have taken a picture with him.....
    Why? because SHE REALLY CARES ABOUT PEOPLE!!!!!!

April 2, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |