April 2nd, 2008

Visibly annoyed, Obama refuses to pose for picture

CNN

Watch a man repeatedly asks Obama to pose for a photograph.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - A visibly annoyed Barack Obama gave a flat-out "no" Wednesday to a rather persistent man who approached the Illinois senator numerous times throughout morning asking to pose for a photograph with him.

The campaign claims the man was seeking to sell items on eBay, the online auction site.

"They wanted a picture to authenticate the signatures," said spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "They were first at the Senator's hotel and tried to get in front of third graders who were lined up to see Senator Obama."

In the e-mailed statement, Psaki continued, "After being disruptive the police moved them to the sidewalk. They then followed the motorcade to the second stop at the market and continued to push for a picture to authenticate whatever they could get signed."

(Full back-and-forth from the pool report after the jump)

Run-in #1: outside a shop, on the way in
Man: Senator can I have a quick picture with you
Man: It will take you two seconds. Don't cram me, I'm not doing anything to anybody. Jesus.

Run-in #2: after the shop
Man: "Senator can I get a picture with you?"
Obama: (slightly annoyed) "You are wearing me out, brother."
Man: "I got one with [Clinton] and I got one with McCain, come on Senator that's not right."

Run in #3: in the street
Man: "Senator, can I please, a quick one?
Obama: (very annoyed) No, you know what? no.
Man: Can I just say something to you real fast.
Obama: Yeah you can.
Man: I had one with [Clinton], had one with Senator McCain
Obama: I am sure you do. Because when I was trying to talk to some kids - and I know, look –

Man: No, my wife is a school teacher and she was there, she had to go back and that wasn't right what wont you just take a picture with me, I'm not asking you for a autograph, it's for my family.

Obama: Yeah well, whatever. Just take it. I won't be smiling. Because you're wearing me out. ..No no, you've been really rude about it. Just take a shot.

Obama and the man did not take a shot, the man was still arguing and the secret service stepped in (non confrontationally), just putting a hand between him and Obama.

Secret Service: That's it.
Man: No I'm good. All I want is a picture, that's it.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. eddie, Quebec

Yawnnnnn ! that was interresting.

Please Gawd ! Forward time to the next primary. Reporters are starting to roll on the floor for crumbs.

April 2, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  2. Floridian

You can go to Drudge and get more details and read exactly what Obama said. It wasn't cool for the guy to cut in front of the little kids. Obama actually finally told the guy that he would take the picture, but the Secret Service stepped in at that point.

Obviously he can't take a picture with everyone. To crazily insistent people demanding a picture, in the words of Bill Clinton, "Chill out."

April 2, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  3. VOTER FOR TRUTH AND DIGNITY IN AMERICA

Protect that Obamaman, Secret Service!!!!!!!! We need him.!!!!!!!!!!!

100% for Obama from Day 1.
    Retired Professional white woman for OBAMA

April 2, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  4. FNJ in PA

WOO TO THE NEW POLLS IN THE PA POLLS.
    1 HAS OBAMA UP 2
    2 DOWN 9
    EITHER WAY BYE BYE HILLARY

April 2, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  5. Snoopy

You people that continuously refer to Hillary Clinton as "Billary" sound so incredibly juvenile. It doesn't matter which candidate you're referring to, just use their name and quit trying to be so cutesy.
    In other words– grow up and act like an adult.

April 2, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  6. Daniel

Slow news day, huh?

April 2, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  7. Get Real

Those pesky citizens who want a picture....just annoying brothers! Well Obama did give that pesky citizen the right to speak though, huh? LOL. Barak is wearing me out!

April 2, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  8. 4REAL

I couldn't imagine someone that close and aggresive to take a picture with Obama. I would be relutlant also, not knowing what is going to happen. Obama you are brave and remember there is a lot of people that is crazy right about now. Don't trust anyone who comes to you like that again.

April 2, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  9. skipper

secret service or front street slackers ...where is the protection

April 2, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. JB Oakland

Secret service should have beat that fool down. He could have had a shank.

April 2, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  11. stopit

Obama the man was hillary with out make up and feck beard. Stay away from her, she is very contigious.

April 2, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  12. caywen

Walk up to any busy person and insist on taking a picture with them. Many will say yes, but many will decline. Then, if you insist again, they may decline a little more forcibly. And when you keep at it, they get annoyed, and may perhaps acquiesce so you'll go away.

In other words, Obama acted like any normal, well adjusted person would.

April 2, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  13. Southerner For Obama

Those who have written on here to say Obama was rude, needs a reality check. Some of the comments sounds like you are in a world under a rock. Who is their right mind would want to take a picture with a rude idiot. As far as I am concern, the secret service allowed him to get too close to Obama.

You Obama haters, would you take a picture with an idiot who was following you around all day? Ooops, I hear silence.!! I guess not huh?

April 2, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  14. Floridian

Is everybody pissed at Tiger Woods now too because he will only (and rarely) do autographs for or make eye contact with kids?

This guy sounds really obnoxious – you just DO NOT cut in front of third graders, people.

April 2, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. Obama to the End

We love Obama, we love Obama , we love Obama.... cant wait to see this great man in the White House.

April 2, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  16. HILLARY ALL THE WAY!!!

Boy a picture with Obama. What a treat. HILLARY 08

Sorry CNN she is still in the race.

April 2, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  17. Brendan

Honestly?! Isn't the Secret Service authorized to shoot these people?

April 2, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Sharon

Of course he was quit happy to take the picture eith the store owners......Hmmmmm....I guess that was a good P.R. photo, but not the husband of a TEACHER?????? WOW....

April 2, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  19. go_hillary_go

well well WELL mr. obamana- are we slightly on edge these days? he probably just heard that florida's delegates will indeed be seated, as reported by howard dean. imagine if michigan follows suit.. yikes! and hillary is estimated to carry pennsylvania, yet another on the long list of huge KEY states. boo hoo.

okay, obama, NOW we see why you're a little cranky. just watch one of your "hope" speeches on youtube.. that'll cheer you up. just remember that you can hope in one hand and cr- well, nevermind.

go hillary go

April 2, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. tseada

WOW! some people can be so rude. And i have a feeling that they are going to blow this out of proportion. Obama should've walked away and pretended like he didn't hear him asking for a pic.

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  21. Clinton Spy

Sounds like a Clinton spy trying to cook-up something. The public can be sure that we will hear something about this subject in a negative manner. Obama supporters, we have not heard the last of this story, it will be on every news station for at least a week and it will be talked about in the next Clinton speech just like the bowling.

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  22. Eric

For everyone in here who says he should just take the picture, our showing is rockstar status is a fool. Anyone who pushes kids out of the way deserves no pictures. Case done. If thats your kids getting pushed over on the ground are you going to say just take the picture?? I hope not for you kids sake. Wake up people.

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  23. Ifeanyi Azubike Houston Texas

It is only a reflection of our differences as people. Some try to take advantage of situations to enrich themselves while trampling on others. That is life and Obama should see it for ehat it is One Nation under God. If we all did things right, there won't be a need for leadership and with the Bush economy I am not surprised people are deparate to cash in.

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  24. Marc in DeKalb, IL

It's ironic that Clinton supporters accuse Obama of whining.

Waahhh I always get the 1st question!
    Waaahh everyone is out to get me because I'm a woman!
    Waaahh Obama is trying to make me quit!
    (actually, Hillary, he told you to stay in)
    Waaahh this man is sexist because he disagreed with me!
    Waaahh! WAAAHHH!

Keep crying, Queen Clinton. America sees it.

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  25. sherry

what kind of drugs were the democratic party doing when they created this delegate system for their primaries. clinton has won the popular vote in 3 states, including texas and has gotten less delegates then obama. and they are even going to count florida and michigan. evidently the democratic party has a little problem knowing a democracy is. guess well have to vote for a republican after all, even if we have had the worse 8 years of ouf lives. at least all of their votes counted.

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |