April 2nd, 2008

Visibly annoyed, Obama refuses to pose for picture

CNN

Watch a man repeatedly asks Obama to pose for a photograph.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - A visibly annoyed Barack Obama gave a flat-out "no" Wednesday to a rather persistent man who approached the Illinois senator numerous times throughout morning asking to pose for a photograph with him.

The campaign claims the man was seeking to sell items on eBay, the online auction site.

"They wanted a picture to authenticate the signatures," said spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "They were first at the Senator's hotel and tried to get in front of third graders who were lined up to see Senator Obama."

In the e-mailed statement, Psaki continued, "After being disruptive the police moved them to the sidewalk. They then followed the motorcade to the second stop at the market and continued to push for a picture to authenticate whatever they could get signed."

(Full back-and-forth from the pool report after the jump)

Run-in #1: outside a shop, on the way in
Man: Senator can I have a quick picture with you
Man: It will take you two seconds. Don't cram me, I'm not doing anything to anybody. Jesus.

Run-in #2: after the shop
Man: "Senator can I get a picture with you?"
Obama: (slightly annoyed) "You are wearing me out, brother."
Man: "I got one with [Clinton] and I got one with McCain, come on Senator that's not right."

Run in #3: in the street
Man: "Senator, can I please, a quick one?
Obama: (very annoyed) No, you know what? no.
Man: Can I just say something to you real fast.
Obama: Yeah you can.
Man: I had one with [Clinton], had one with Senator McCain
Obama: I am sure you do. Because when I was trying to talk to some kids - and I know, look –

Man: No, my wife is a school teacher and she was there, she had to go back and that wasn't right what wont you just take a picture with me, I'm not asking you for a autograph, it's for my family.

Obama: Yeah well, whatever. Just take it. I won't be smiling. Because you're wearing me out. ..No no, you've been really rude about it. Just take a shot.

Obama and the man did not take a shot, the man was still arguing and the secret service stepped in (non confrontationally), just putting a hand between him and Obama.

Secret Service: That's it.
Man: No I'm good. All I want is a picture, that's it.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. JN

WoW HP Boston..what a real nice thing to say...Oh that's right, God made you perfect...Thanks for sharing...NOT!!!!

April 2, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  2. Anyone but Obamination

How would this be twisted if it were Hillary. The haters would be all over this. I don't care, did the guy tell him it was for Ebay? I guess he was afraid he might be just show up as ghost, like his plans.

April 2, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  3. Sharon

Someone needs to interview the guy....SELLING on EBAY? Are you SURE???? Or is that just Obama's excuse???????

April 2, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  4. Haha

How does the Obama camp know he was going to sell it on Ebay? Nowhere is the conversation does it say that. He probably was going to sell it, but don't jump to conclusions. Isn't that the message that Obama is trying to sell? To give people a chance?

April 2, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  5. Mike

give me a break... they posted the dialog... he did not want a signature... wanted a picture for his family...

what are these blogs about Ebay... spin by Obama's camp to play down the situation... you got to be kidding me!!!

Really makes me want to donate money to this man...

most likely he would not take a picture with me...

April 2, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  6. loli

Now that he has a comfortable position with the news media, he seems to be able to get away with whatever he does, he is the little brat of the press. I can't wait to hear what they are going to say in the news tonight Bravo Baba, I think this man was bothering you, poor baby you must have been tired.

April 2, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  7. Lindsay

Soon we'll hear a report from Hillary about the time she was chased by a sniper who just wanted to take her picture. She'll tell us how she bravely stood and let the sniper take her picture, even though she knew she was in danger.

April 2, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. MCNEIL

HOW DOES ANYONE KNOW THE MAN WANTED TO SELL THE PICTURE ON EBAY?????????? DID HE TELL OBAMA THATS WHY HE WANTED THE PICTURE?????????? MAYBE WE SHOULD HEAR FROM THE MAN HIMSELF...JUST LIKE THE QUESTIONS POSED TO CHELSE....THE YOUNG MAN MADE ALL THE ROUNDS ON THE TV SHOWS...LETS HEAR FROM THE MAN WHO WANTED THE PICTURE........... I BET HE HAD NO INTENTION OF SELLING THE PICTURE ON E BAY................THAT WAS JUST A STORY TO GET AWAY FROM THE REAL TRUTH.............

April 2, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  9. Nobillary Andobama

"Don't taze me bro!"

April 2, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  10. laurie

to fnj

You don't really expect Hillary's supporters to act any differently than she does do you? Amazing how blind they are. If she is elected they won't mean a thing to her. The media hype on this little stuff gets annoying too.

April 2, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  11. Jeff in AL

I see Obama's ego and star attitude showing for the first time. Better be careful Barack or else people might see the real you. Not very Presidential.

April 2, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  12. Jan

I think it is a problem of the guy who wanted this. Not a big deal. and common everywhere

April 2, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  13. Jen in FL

Obama's supporters are ridiculous (see comments above). How is this guy that wants a picture a Hillary supporter and how is your comment relevant to this article? It's this type of illogic that is going to get him elected.... He has a clean record because he hasn't done anything. Wow good like to us all.

April 2, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  14. Temper a lot like McCains

You should go read the emails from the fight Obama and McCain had after McCain tried to reach out to him. I was a bit taken aback by Obama's arrogance and temper. He does seem to hide it from the public better most of the time tho......

April 2, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  15. JJ

Funny how som folks wanna make this a knock on Obama's Character (grasping straws). This guy was pretty much a jerk, you do not have to be like that to get a picture, remember the golden rule. I would have rejected him as well.

April 2, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  16. No Hillary

This weirdo needed to understand that no means no. ... and why Obama's bodyguards did not react faster to remove him. You may need new body guards Mr. President and I am fully at your service – for free.

April 2, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  17. sylvia

Senator Obama is simply wonderful and would never be rude to anyone unless he had a good reason. The person interfered with his ability to speak to children. Obama would not like that.

Vote Obama

April 2, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  18. James, Pennsylvania

The made-up EBAY story by the rude OBAMA campaign just doesn't cut it. Do you really think that some guy's photo with Obama is going to sell on EBAY (what ego Obama has). So much for being polite and respectful to the voters. Even if this man was an autograph-for-sale seeker, shouldn't Obama be glad to help a fellow American make some money in this bad economy? How much money was this guy going to make from a couple of Obama signatures anyway? I wouldn't give 2 cents for one!

April 2, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  19. Jacob S

I love the comments from the Hillary supporters here. Obama, like Hillary and McCain and, to a bit of a lesser extent, any major politician, literally does stuff all day. It's probably pretty exhausting to say the least and the guy was butting in front of kids and kept demanding a photo even after being told nicely "no."

If I went up to any of you and asked you to do something repeatedly even after you said no and kept following you around asking wouldn't you get a little annoyed? You say you would? Oh dear, that's quite the rock star egotistical whining attitude you've got there, sheesh!

I mean, can you imagine voting for a guy who works all day and gets annoyed when people follow him around and make demands of him half a dozen times or more? What nerve! Obviously someone without the patience of a saint can't ever be a good president, he's lost my vote.

April 2, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  20. Grif

A Mug Shot, of a Mug!! No way...

Obama... Mr SMUG........

April 2, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  21. Red Dog from ND but now in Floida

To Chris from San antonio and all you billary supporters. Billary will do anything even sell herself for the presidency. Barak did nothing wrong refusing to sell out to an opportunist, like the republicans and billary.

April 2, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  22. Sharon

Obaaaammmmaa, gettin' angry.......

GO HILLARY!!!! Anyone see the NEW Quinnepiac POLLS.....No story from the media?????
    HILLARY BEATS McCAIN NATIONALLY IN FLORIDA, PENNSYLVANIA AND OHIO!!!!!!!!!!!!! By GOOD amounts!!!!! McCAIN BEATS BO IN FL!!!!!!!!!
    WHOO HOO!!!

April 2, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. IndependentbyChoice

Susan MO,
    "Obama is showing his hateful side. Not good. We were for him at first, but now now. He lacks experience. "

Well Susan if you make your decisions on who your going to vote for president based off the "Experience" of dealing with pushy photographers....then go write in Britney '08 .... this is the most ridiculous and not news worthy story I've seen in a while......

April 2, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  24. Denice

Very silly story to put on website. It is scary how close this person came to Senator Obama. Rudeness should not be rewarded.

April 2, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  25. Ilona

Yes Hillary will even take a photo with Rev. Wright.

IF IT HELPED HER ALONG THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!

Why was this nut case allowed to cut in in front of Children?. It really is a little bit scarey that he was allowed to get so close to Sen. Obama.
    I know this is a get to know me kind of campaign. But this man was so persistent!! Why did the security let him continue?

April 2, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |