April 2nd, 2008

Visibly annoyed, Obama refuses to pose for picture

CNN

Watch a man repeatedly asks Obama to pose for a photograph.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - A visibly annoyed Barack Obama gave a flat-out "no" Wednesday to a rather persistent man who approached the Illinois senator numerous times throughout morning asking to pose for a photograph with him.

The campaign claims the man was seeking to sell items on eBay, the online auction site.

"They wanted a picture to authenticate the signatures," said spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "They were first at the Senator's hotel and tried to get in front of third graders who were lined up to see Senator Obama."

In the e-mailed statement, Psaki continued, "After being disruptive the police moved them to the sidewalk. They then followed the motorcade to the second stop at the market and continued to push for a picture to authenticate whatever they could get signed."

(Full back-and-forth from the pool report after the jump)

Run-in #1: outside a shop, on the way in
Man: Senator can I have a quick picture with you
Man: It will take you two seconds. Don't cram me, I'm not doing anything to anybody. Jesus.

Run-in #2: after the shop
Man: "Senator can I get a picture with you?"
Obama: (slightly annoyed) "You are wearing me out, brother."
Man: "I got one with [Clinton] and I got one with McCain, come on Senator that's not right."

Run in #3: in the street
Man: "Senator, can I please, a quick one?
Obama: (very annoyed) No, you know what? no.
Man: Can I just say something to you real fast.
Obama: Yeah you can.
Man: I had one with [Clinton], had one with Senator McCain
Obama: I am sure you do. Because when I was trying to talk to some kids - and I know, look –

Man: No, my wife is a school teacher and she was there, she had to go back and that wasn't right what wont you just take a picture with me, I'm not asking you for a autograph, it's for my family.

Obama: Yeah well, whatever. Just take it. I won't be smiling. Because you're wearing me out. ..No no, you've been really rude about it. Just take a shot.

Obama and the man did not take a shot, the man was still arguing and the secret service stepped in (non confrontationally), just putting a hand between him and Obama.

Secret Service: That's it.
Man: No I'm good. All I want is a picture, that's it.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. obamagurl08

All You Obama haters need to take a 2nd look at your gurl hillary, she is not soo truthful and those who vote for her are ignorant people, they haven't done their homework. Obama did right, the guy is truly lucky that they didn't rough him up, steadily bugging. First if he'd only waited until Obama was finished with the children, then he probably would of taken the picture, but that guy seemed a bit weird...like to obessed about that picture.

April 2, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. Charlotte Pugh

I also just watched the footage, and you can clearly see that he got the photo... the headline is totally misleading, Obama was firm but good natured about the entire non-event.

April 2, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. cle

All you have to do is read this board to find out why Obama supporters are the reason I will never vote for him.

April 2, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  4. Rose - Baltimore, MD

The guy was acting crazy. The secret service should have intervened earlier. They are endangering Obama with these kind of people.

April 2, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. Christian, Tampa FL

If you say that Obama has a "temper" because of this, you are silly. Obama was way more polite than any of us would have been and the guy should have taken 'no' for an answer. He's lucky that the Secret Service didn't knock him down.

April 2, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. Hal

What temper?? Obama didn't yell shame shame with spittle coming out of his mouth.
    TThat the guy got that close is scary. But the most revealing thing is the fact that Clinton supporters would think that not wanting to have your picture takein with a creep means your not ready for the WH.

It simply reveals how ignorant they are.

April 2, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  7. MARYANN Oswego IL

Typical snob

April 2, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  8. Rich in Seattle

I love how people say Obama shows his ego here. If any one of them were in the same position they would have reacted even worse. I hate rude people and this guy was obviously going over the edge. If you are a jerk then vote for Hillary, you'll fit right in with her group.

April 2, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  9. Debby

I don't get it Obama signs thousands of autographs a day, and has shook hands with millions of people across the US and he wouldn't take a picture with this guy.

April 2, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  10. Mike Kaplan

Obama put his foot down and said no to what sounds like a really rude jerk. I would never INSIST on getting a picture, with ANYBODY. And some of you people actually think this incident somehow reflects badly on Obama? You actually think that the fact that Obama said no to this very rude and persistent guy is somehow a reason to vote for somebody else? Is that really the kind of thing that determines your vote?

You can't be serious.

April 2, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  11. OBAMA GO HOME!

Wow....every time i see this man I like him less and less.

Go Hillary. Or McCain....ANYONE BUT OBAMA!!!!!

April 2, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  12. Nando, Florida

The secret Service should have slapped the guy silly for jumping in front of those kids and took his camera and broke it across his head. That what I THINK!!!!!!!

April 2, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  13. Jack

You guys are ridiculous, taking his reaction to this idiot as anything political whatsoever.

"AHHH we can't have a president who acts that rude to a papparazzi guy! WHAT IF A WORLD LEADER TRIES TO TAKE A PICTURE OF HIM?! We're doomed!"

Get a clue!

April 2, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  14. Vee

I would not have thought Hillary as a snob or unfit to be President if she had denied the picture.

Hillary supporters need to look at the real video before making that judgment call.

I know they are hurt and frustrated..but why do they sound so stupid lately.

April 2, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  15. Al

How many of you Hillary supporters would still vote for her if her last wasn't Clinton and she wasn't a female?

April 2, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. Will

People should actually watch the footage, Obama was nice to the guy, the guy was like throwing kids out of the way to get to Obama.

It was really mean...and he even tried to put up a fight with the Secrete Service who pulled him away.

April 2, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  17. Alecia

Who gives a who? Horton?
    Why are we spending time worrying about whether these politicians smile for a camera or not? This is ridiculous...go down the street and find some real news to talk about...geez!

April 2, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  18. Latisha

WAKE UP EOPLE This country has fallen apart. Its time to change that by having a BACKBONE and making you choices based on whats right not out of FEAR, Remember "WE WILL ALL REAP WHAT WE SOW"

April 2, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  19. LaLa

That was the right move to make for Obama. Who is this man anyway?! That's all Obama need to be taking a picture with someone with troubling issues & the picture to surface next week & the press having a field day.

April 2, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. Steve

This just what kind of person Obama is. A real humanitarian.
    Takes his his children to a Church that he didn't hear, to he did hear, to If Wright didn't retire he would of left. [ this took 20 YRS] to decide. Great Parenting
    His wife finally Being Proud to be an American
    Now Obama LIES about his Farther
    This is person you Obama suporters are proud of He LIED about his Father. not about ducking bullets.
    YOU CAN KEEP HIM but to me he has some real issues. This all present day events. not crap that happened 10yrs ago.
    SMARTIN UP HE'S GOT YOUTHINKING HE MIGHT BE GOD AND YOU SHOULD FORGIVE THIS.
    He's lying just like all Politicians

April 2, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. pakuna

I watched the video and Berry is just being the righteous man he is. He did'nt want his picture taken, he said no, oh then he said go ahead.The guy wore him out. Poor boy did'nt have anyone to tell the guy no he had to do it himself. Lets send him on another vacation. Poor boy. He is so wore out..

April 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  22. Mike

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the oven.

April 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. 2008 Hillary! Go

Wow! He thinks he is really JFK??
    Come on! Who cares you? Obama??

You are just a "typical" "guy"!

April 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  24. 08 for Obama

Hey Sharon, do you know how stupid you sound? I am not talking as an Obama supporter here, but I am talking as someone who knows history and has seen what something as simple as this can do. This is a presidential candidate! and American presidential candidate! all jokes, biases and support aside, you should know better than what you said.
    Thank you Obama for refusing, because who knows what was in that camera? or in the heart of the man? My thanks also go to you secret service and everyone else insuring the security of our leaders, whether Obama, Clinton or McCain. It doesn't matter the differences we have, they are still our dear leaders and we should do everything in our powers to pray for them, protect and love them, because even the Bible says so.

GO OBAMA!

April 2, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  25. Latisha Edwards

I read this CNN site everyday. I must say that I am truley amazed by the ignorance of so many of my fellow Americans. Some of the comments are so juvenile and small. Our country is facing one of the most critical times in its history and all we can talk about is pettiness. Our country is in a recession, The War is worst now than when it started 5 years ago. So many Americans are homeless due to the "Sub Prime" mortgage industry's Frankenstein of a creation. We all have the right to our opinions but at least use your own intelligence to make an informed decision about life and what the future holds for us all. We have become a society of self indulgent, lazy followers. We have been so brainwashed by "FEAR" that we can no longer make our own choices. Choices based on true facts and character. What happened to standing up for truth and honor? Instead its greed, everyman for himself at any cost and step on whom ever it takes to get you to the top. No wonder other countries despise "Americans" "WAKE UP PEOPLE" This country has fallen apart. Its time to change that by having the backbone to do so." WE WILL ALL REAP WHAT WE SOW!!!! What would you want that to be for you and yours??????

April 2, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |