April 2nd, 2008

Visibly annoyed, Obama refuses to pose for picture

CNN

Watch a man repeatedly asks Obama to pose for a photograph.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - A visibly annoyed Barack Obama gave a flat-out "no" Wednesday to a rather persistent man who approached the Illinois senator numerous times throughout morning asking to pose for a photograph with him.

The campaign claims the man was seeking to sell items on eBay, the online auction site.

"They wanted a picture to authenticate the signatures," said spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "They were first at the Senator's hotel and tried to get in front of third graders who were lined up to see Senator Obama."

In the e-mailed statement, Psaki continued, "After being disruptive the police moved them to the sidewalk. They then followed the motorcade to the second stop at the market and continued to push for a picture to authenticate whatever they could get signed."

(Full back-and-forth from the pool report after the jump)

Run-in #1: outside a shop, on the way in
Man: Senator can I have a quick picture with you
Man: It will take you two seconds. Don't cram me, I'm not doing anything to anybody. Jesus.

Run-in #2: after the shop
Man: "Senator can I get a picture with you?"
Obama: (slightly annoyed) "You are wearing me out, brother."
Man: "I got one with [Clinton] and I got one with McCain, come on Senator that's not right."

Run in #3: in the street
Man: "Senator, can I please, a quick one?
Obama: (very annoyed) No, you know what? no.
Man: Can I just say something to you real fast.
Obama: Yeah you can.
Man: I had one with [Clinton], had one with Senator McCain
Obama: I am sure you do. Because when I was trying to talk to some kids - and I know, look –

Man: No, my wife is a school teacher and she was there, she had to go back and that wasn't right what wont you just take a picture with me, I'm not asking you for a autograph, it's for my family.

Obama: Yeah well, whatever. Just take it. I won't be smiling. Because you're wearing me out. ..No no, you've been really rude about it. Just take a shot.

Obama and the man did not take a shot, the man was still arguing and the secret service stepped in (non confrontationally), just putting a hand between him and Obama.

Secret Service: That's it.
Man: No I'm good. All I want is a picture, that's it.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Steven

Thank you. How can a guy like that get so close to Obama!!! This guy was definitely aggressive with his actions.

April 2, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. Chris

All of you who are criticizing Obama, Did you watch the video? If you did, then your comments do not make sense. This guy is not a "regular guy". Obama took pictures with "regular" people like the cheese guys on the video. This guy is an Ebay seller and he was rude and interrupted Obama as he was talking with children.

In fact, Obama did let him take a picture, just without him smiling. Get over your negativity people. You sound more like Hillary than regular Americans.

April 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. Shannon McMurphy

Hmmm. If Obama granted a 2-second request for this man it would NOT be news, like apparently it is now. Being a presidential candidate means being PUBLIC...just ask Hillary.

I think that's exactly where he likes to be...in the spotlight, whether for good or bad.

Weak on issues? Who cares. This is American Idol revisited.

April 2, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  4. Brian Mckenna

Typical Mets Fan!

April 2, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  5. Blueyes

This guy is a nut case. He was so rude and invasive. Why could he not be more polite and ask if he would take a picture. Too bad the secret service did not punch him in the mouth.

April 2, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. akaDoug

Wow you Clintonazis are tough! For now on Obama should take a picture with anyone who wants one...as long as Hillary can release her tax returns, release the library donor list, answer why she lied about the "sniper fire" and can get her daughter to answer questions about her cheating dad and enabling mom!

One day you Clintonazis will realize that we are really saving you from yourselfs! Vote Obama, the best candidate!

April 2, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  7. Mike

If and when you see the photo on ebay, see if the eyes are red and horns are protruding from the forehead.

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 2, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. VA

YOU GUYS ARE ABSOLUTLEY RIDICULOUS!!!!! OBAMA WAS A SMART MAN TO DO WHAT HE DID...WHAT GAVE THAT MAN THE RIGHT TO BUTT IN FRONT OF KIDS AND CONTINUE STALKING ALL DAY TO MAKE MONEY ON EBAY....ONE MORE REASON TO VOTE FOR OBAMA..HE WILL STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT AND BUTTING IN FRONT OF PEOPLE IS RUDE UNLESS ALL YOU THAT THINK NOT, OF COURSE, WOULD BE BUTTING IN ,TO MAKE MONEY...... HE IS NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING JUST TO PLEASE PEOPLE AND GET A VOTE LIKE CLINTON...WHAT A PHONY SHE IS!!!!
    HMMMMMM..WONDER WHAT SOME OF YOU WOULD SAY IF THEY BUTTED IN FRONT OF YOUR KID!!!!!!! OH I KNOW....YOU WOULD SAY..GO RIGHT AHEAD...TEACH THE CHILDREN THAT IT IS A-OK........GEESH...WHAT IDIOTS!!!!

April 2, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  9. HILLARY!

Can't wait to see this guy interviewed tomorrow to get the real story.....

April 2, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  10. Original

Come on Barrack. you took a picture with Hillary, so you can take a picture with this wack-nut.

April 2, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. sam

Arrogance of obama is there for all to see. He wants only power and he is using the media and others who have been dazzeled by his rhetoric to gain it. He has no substance, no solutions. He is promising everything that he could conjure with – even having Gore on his team . America do not be fooled again!!

April 2, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  12. Roy Arellano (San Antonio)

All you commenters, please read things before leaving comments. Dude stalked him all day, and was rude in front of children, if it were me, I don't care what office I was running for, I'd be cautious and strong about this situation as Obama was. That showed real human character.

April 2, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  13. EJ - Ohio

I guess that guy wins the notorious "stalker of the year" award.

April 2, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  14. sam

April 2, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  15. Jack the Dog

Where is Obama's campaign staff? Couldn't someone have intercepted this guy, questioned him to find out if he was legitimate or not, then decided whether to recommend to Obama that he take the photo. I'm an Obama supporter, but what if it turns out this guy was trying to get a photo for his sick kid or something like that. Makes the whole campaign look mean-spirited and arrogant.

And by the way, if anyone in his right mind wants to buy Obama's signature on e-bay, well, they deserve to get ripped off. He's a candidate, for crying out loud; he's not God.

April 2, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  16. Dennis

Amazing. It seems that some of Clinton supporters didn't get past the headline and certainly didn't watch the video. Some of you sound desperate for something to attack Obama about. The guy was trying to make a profit off of Obama's candidacy to the extent that he was cutting in on a visit with third graders. Of course a photo op with another world leader would be different. To suggest that this somehow correlates is really immature.

April 2, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  17. me

so why does everybody and their entire family tree get pulled into a scenario when this was a confrontation between Senator Obama and a ordinary citizen. People chill out. There is no reason to blame everyone just because this may look unfavorable for Senator Obama, he's in the public eye just like every other politician has been and will continue to be for the rest of his political life. Just give the Unnecessary blame game BS a rest already. But on a positive note most supporters from both camps have been getting Increasingly civil in disputing their differences. I guess its the few negative comments that stick out the most.

April 2, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  18. Closely Watching

I think he handled it Presidentially.

Obama '08~REAL change we can believe in.

April 2, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  19. Pamela

YOU PEOPLE ARE CLEARLY AGAINST OBAMA! HE DOESN'T MIND TAKING PICTURES WITH PEOPLE, BUT THIS GUY WAS JUST TRYING TO MAKE A PROFIT BY SELLING IT ON EBAY! OBAMA HANDLED THE SITUATION VERY WELL WHICH IS WHY I'M PROUD TO BE A OBAMA SUPPORTER! HE DOESN'T HAVE A TEMPER...HE WAS JUST AGITATED.

April 2, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. Penn State

Are you Obama supporters crazy or something? Do you know how many people have pictures with Obama!?! Heck, I have a picture with Obama. What kind of money could you make selling a picture on e-Bay with Obama? That e-Bay story is just a dumb cover-up. Obama did not want to take a picture with the man and thats it.

April 2, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  21. Linda Li

Everyone who says "WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!' need to shut up.

April 2, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  22. MJB

Yeah, this is a security issue. Shame on Hillary people for trying to politicixe this and not recognizing the overwhleming importance of safety, particularly for a candidate in Obama's position (still, sadly, the reality, even 40 years post-MLK and -RFK.)

April 2, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  23. Michael Guinn- Ventura, CA

Clinton supporters are ridiculous (see comments above).
    I' sure the wasn't a Clinton supporter- but saying Obama was a snob and a jerk because he wouldn't let them take a picture is TYPICAL HILLARY'S HATE CLUB nonsense!
    Everyone STOP IT!

April 2, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  24. VA

BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTHS..LOOK AT THE VIDEO..HE TOOK PICS WITH THE STORE OWNERS AND PAID FOR HIS CHEESE.......AND IF YOU LOOK..I WILL NOT HAVE TO EXPLAIN HOW STUPID ALL YOU CLINTON FANS SOUND!!!!!!!!!!

April 2, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  25. CHERYL

JUST OBAMA ACTING LIKE A CHILD AGAIN!!!!!!!

THE MORE WE LET HIM GET AWAY, WITH THE MORE POMPOUS HE BECOMES!!!!!!!

HE HAS A SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT!!!!

HE IS DISHONEST ON SO MANY LEVELS!!!!!!!!

MY VOTE GOES TO HILLARY!!!!!!!!

April 2, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |