April 2nd, 2008

Visibly annoyed, Obama refuses to pose for picture

CNN

Watch a man repeatedly asks Obama to pose for a photograph.

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - A visibly annoyed Barack Obama gave a flat-out "no" Wednesday to a rather persistent man who approached the Illinois senator numerous times throughout morning asking to pose for a photograph with him.

The campaign claims the man was seeking to sell items on eBay, the online auction site.

"They wanted a picture to authenticate the signatures," said spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "They were first at the Senator's hotel and tried to get in front of third graders who were lined up to see Senator Obama."

In the e-mailed statement, Psaki continued, "After being disruptive the police moved them to the sidewalk. They then followed the motorcade to the second stop at the market and continued to push for a picture to authenticate whatever they could get signed."

(Full back-and-forth from the pool report after the jump)

Run-in #1: outside a shop, on the way in
Man: Senator can I have a quick picture with you
Man: It will take you two seconds. Don't cram me, I'm not doing anything to anybody. Jesus.

Run-in #2: after the shop
Man: "Senator can I get a picture with you?"
Obama: (slightly annoyed) "You are wearing me out, brother."
Man: "I got one with [Clinton] and I got one with McCain, come on Senator that's not right."

Run in #3: in the street
Man: "Senator, can I please, a quick one?
Obama: (very annoyed) No, you know what? no.
Man: Can I just say something to you real fast.
Obama: Yeah you can.
Man: I had one with [Clinton], had one with Senator McCain
Obama: I am sure you do. Because when I was trying to talk to some kids - and I know, look –

Man: No, my wife is a school teacher and she was there, she had to go back and that wasn't right what wont you just take a picture with me, I'm not asking you for a autograph, it's for my family.

Obama: Yeah well, whatever. Just take it. I won't be smiling. Because you're wearing me out. ..No no, you've been really rude about it. Just take a shot.

Obama and the man did not take a shot, the man was still arguing and the secret service stepped in (non confrontationally), just putting a hand between him and Obama.

Secret Service: That's it.
Man: No I'm good. All I want is a picture, that's it.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Drew, OH

"Obama is showing his hateful side. Not good. We were for him at first, but now now. He lacks experience."

FOR CLINTON–Susan, MO

Susan,
    You are so funny. Who do you think believes you were ever going to vote for Barack? Oh well, you can't have everything–he will be your next president. Maybe we can find a job for Hillary sharing lies, uh, stories to neighborhood kids.

Barack 08

April 2, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  2. HPathetic Boston

"So whats the big deal big man, you sure show a lack of leadership! One crummy picture and it is over, it not like your big ears would fit the shot!"
    –HP Boston

Does the HP stand for Hopelessly Pathetic?

April 2, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  3. April Garlow

Hey Obama, now you know how we feel everytime the media tries to shove you in our face! If I hear what a charismatic guy you are one more time, I'm going to puke. What really annoys me though is the fact that you are not for universal health care. My granddaughter has severe asthma attacks and is usually hospitalized at least once a year. Who do YOU think is going to insure her the minute she turns 21?Should I just quit caring about her health then? This is the real difference between the candidates. Hillary cares about our adult children and about the lives of the voters. You don't, unless they are millionaires, buy us breakfast instead of Bloomberg you jerk.

April 2, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  4. get real

This doesn't surprise me. I remember several instances where he got annoyed in the debates and raised his voice and said "NOW HILLARY".

I think it is great that the race is going on, so you Obama supporters will get to know exactly who you are voting for.

Watch out, you might not like what you see or hear when you finally start paying attention! I doubt if it gets covered by CNN anyway.

I think all Hillary supporters should boycott CNN and start watching FOX. It sure makes you feel better when your candidate is not the only one getting beat up on.

Hillary '08 or (McCain over Obama anyday)

April 2, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  5. Frieda, NY

If this guy was following Barack around all morning, it doesn't say a lot for the Secret Service. This guy sounds like a stalker, and a looney.

Protect our next president, please.

Barack, bring Michelle back, we miss her. She'll be a fabulous and patriotic first lady.

Obama 08

April 2, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  6. Skipper

Obama, babe, how's your "Chelsea" moment working for ya?

April 2, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  7. Anonymous

how that guy crossed seceret service guys? Obama should be careful about his security.

April 2, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  8. Sam

Wow I can't believe you Obama supporters are actually defending him?! If Hillary did this you'd be all over her like white on rice. But since Saint Obama did it, he had a good excuse? You disgust me. All he had to do was take a picture. He wasn't trying to sell anything on e-bay, he was asking for a freakin picture. Since he refused the picture, there's video proof of him being a jerk.

April 2, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  9. Nancy, CA

Sounds like Obama was too nice to this photo hound.

April 2, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  10. bill

This is a slightly possible less-than-positive article about Obama – what were you thinking? I thought this was strictly forbidden by the cult!

April 2, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  11. Former Obama supporter

Let’s see how the Obama camp spins this.

April 2, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  12. suzy

Patience is a VIRTUE.....

I'm sure both candidates have very busy days and I'm sure it can get
    frustrating and annoying at times....but it takes a TOUGH person to be President.....this is nothing compared to what is coming.
    Right in the middle of campaigning across the state of Texas,
    Hillary took the time out of her already scheduled busy day to go to the funeral of the police officer who was killed.
    THAT said a lot to me........

I've watched some of Obama's town hall meetings, and he was quite rude to several people – he seems a bit testy to me.

April 2, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. sam

How sad. He cant give a 5 second picture. Why not? He only holds press conferences or rallys. This man just wanted a picture.I guess he is too busy to take time.

April 2, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  14. Roz, IL

HRC supporters, you guys are too funny. take some prozac and chill out. see the same supporters of HRC on every blog spewing the same nonsense. get over it.

April 2, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  15. Benny

What was the big deal ! Why did Obama not take the photo? He took it with the store owners. Seems like this dude just wanted a photo!

I think this is bad news for Obama.

April 2, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  16. Peter

Okay. Even I don't blame Obama on this one and he's my third or fourth choice for president at the moment. Back to the real issues.

Hillary '08

Peter S.
    Georgia

April 2, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  17. jhs

I find it more frustrating that 3rd graders were around Obama, I know I wouldn't want MY 3rd grader around him!

April 2, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  18. Dave, Laguna Niguel, California

What a shock, Obama acting like a snob. NOT! Who cares what Obama does or says? And who would actually even want a picture of that guy?

April 2, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  19. Al from Tx

Enough about the Hillary campaign. Where does it say anything about Hillary in the video? This is about Obama, leave at that, this from a Clinton supporter.

This guy seemed too persistent. Seems like he had ulterior motives. Good move by Obama. Anyone that persistent doesn't seem right. I didn't see any arrogance on Obama's part, just concern. In my opinion, it was a good move by Obama.

April 2, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  20. Ilene

Hillary people are whacko. I guess that is what she attracks. Any little thing to say something bad about our next president Obama!!!!!!!!

April 2, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  21. Chris

On Ebay, Obama's poster with signature is going for $500. I would be worried as well.

April 2, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  22. skylark

I do not think these Hillaphiles are real. I think they are Rush Limbaugh zombies. Nobody could be that vicious or stupid otherwise. And in answer to one of your questions No. They didn't read it. No. They didn't watch the movie. It does no good to try to reason with morons.
    Save your breath.
    Obama '08

April 2, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  23. Carolyn (Dallas, TX)

Must be a slow news day.

April 2, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  24. Tom Lee

I think most people are getting tired of you bloggers acting like 8 year olds.

April 2, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  25. sweetfriend

All that time to argue just shows how arrogant OBama is.

April 2, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |