April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice."

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. Scott

Now watch all of the Hillary supporters turn on Carter.

April 3, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  2. Manuel TX

I met Jimmy in Mexico City at a hotel restaurant.

I was in town for a conference.

I ended up paying for his dinner.

I like Jimmy as a person, but he was a terrible president.

🙂

April 3, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  3. Will from Delaware

Thank you, Mr. President!!

April 3, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  4. jujub

If Bill Clinton followed Jimmy Carter's example as a former president, he'd still be respected. Bill Clinton is not respected because he is "for hire" and that wil be evident when the tax returns are released...if they're released. They'll probably be redacted!

April 3, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  5. Johnson

Its Raining superdelegates in the Obama Camp!!! Get out the delegate net. To bad the Clinton camp is dying of superdelegate thirst. Its been a drought on their side for quite a long time. She has yet to find an oasis or she will perish in this heat!

April 3, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  6. Lady in MN

I have 3 questions for you kool aid drinking Obamapologists. I will be impressed if you can answer one in an informative and rational manner.

1) All I hear you whine right now is “What about her tax returns”….”where are her tax returns. Its a fair point, but please explain to me what could be possibly near as damaging in them, as compared to having Wright as your pastor (not pasture Obamabot) for 20 years.

2) I also consistently hear “Do the Math”. Fair enough the math is impossible for Hillary, but why don’t YOU do the math. Please get Obama to the needed victory in the electoral college in the GE. NOTE – OH, FL, MI, and VA cannot be counted as he will not win them….see current polls. (I’ll start you off with CA, IL, and Vermont). GOOD LUCK

3) If CNN and MSNBC were as in the bag for Clinton as they are for Obama…..Do you honestly think Obama would be in a statsistcal tie like Hillary is now.

WAKE UP AMERICA

April 3, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  7. Emma

Great choice President Carter! Great choice.

April 3, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  8. Counting Down

Bill Clinton needs to take lessons from Carter on how to act post-presidency. Say what you will about Carter's time in office, but he has reached out to the world. Peace not Apartheid is a book that came out last year and it's amazing.

Carter, keep up the good work and whoever you vote for, thank you for all you do.

April 3, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  9. Grif

You need support for you're self...
    Failure Supports, A Bigger Failure...
    Now that's what they call Progress...

April 3, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  10. P Graber

A vote for Hillary Clinton means never having to say you're sorry (or I was wrong) to the citizens of the United States of America, or to the people of the world.

April 3, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  11. mark

Jimmy Carter- nice man but one of the worst presidents ever. I don't think his endorsement is much to write home about.

April 3, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  12. Allison R.

I feel bad for Howard Wolfson–constantly trying to place an apathetical or even positive spin on obviously bad news. He's got his work cut out for him in this campaign. I wonder if he's been paid?

April 3, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  13. Ron

Is this another disappointment for the Clinton? Is Carter a second Judas?
    Let's make it clear, we do not want Hillary. We need real change. Is that so difficult to understand?

April 3, 2008 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  14. David

hallelujah

April 3, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  15. McCain Clinton 08

Smart man! Go Hilldog!! Hand over the election!

April 3, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  16. wast

it's about time...

April 3, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  17. sean

Thank you Jimmy!

April 3, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  18. Dan in CO

Yeah, he really didn't leave much to the imagination there.

Welcome aboard!

April 3, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  19. Grif

Now If the support of a Past President, is all that's required...

Then Hillary Has a Sure Winner... They call Him..... William...

April 3, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. Jon

Smart People for Smart Obama.......................

I love you Carter

Obama 09

April 3, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  21. Obama 08

Cast his vote behind Obama is political correct thing to do for the party. But it is also a sure bid for lossing in the fall election.

April 3, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  22. Dustin

So, is Carter now going to be considered a traitor?How does one counter the "endorsement" of a former president who isn'tmarried to a candidate. I guess Carter doesn't have the "experience" to make a wise choice......

April 3, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  23. sophia nyc

Obama: the nation's healer.

I don't blame Carter. We have seen the ugliest of the ugly come out of the Clintons.

April 3, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. IRAQ VETERAN 2003

We welcome the the endorsement of a great former president like Pres. Carter.

He is a great American and Humanitarian.

Obama 2008

April 3, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  25. Frosty

Even the former president is agitated with the Clintons. Enough already, PA pull the plug.

Los Angeles, CA