April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice."

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. Sam, Grand Prairie TX

Vote for America! Super Delegates Unite!!! Domcrats Unite behind Obama who has worked hard to get the nomination. This guy faced a former president, a first lady, his race, name, and experience. He overcame all these odds and challenges with hard work and intelligence. If this is not the American dream than the dream has deferred. This is how Obama got my vote. Thanks President Carter!!!

Obama 08!!!

April 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. Lawrence

Hillary supporters are getting angier by the day when someone endorses Obama. They disrespect and dismiss the importance a great American like Carter. Their behavior simply speak to their lack of education and logic. One guy stated that he and his three friends will may sure Obama does not win. Dag blasted fool has lost his mind. The polls does say that Hilary supporters are the less educated folk in America.

April 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  3. Mark Cross Junction VA

A peanut brain supporting another peanut brain. Obama will do to the country what the other idiot did, give it away!!!

April 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. George

Talk about the nail in Obama's coffin, that's what the Carter endorsement will be. People haven't forgotten what a terrible president Carter was with his single handedly destroying our military readiness, botched handling of the Iranian hostage crisis and 18% prime interest rates. And here is my question for the Obama supporters praising Obama saying NAFTA has to go or at a minimum be renegotiated, part of NAFTA says the U.S. has priority access to Canadian oil, Canada has said if NAFTA is scrapped or renegotiated that provision is one they want gone so they can sell their oil to China, so where is Obama going to get the oil we lose from Canada?

April 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. GoodPeopleOfPA

The good people of Pensyvania are going to pull the plug on hillary after she releases her tax return. Go PA you can do it. You need to throw this evil woman under the bus or better yet under the train.
    Thank you Pennsilvania.

April 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. honkey white guy from cali

Thank you Mr President you may not have been the best in office but I have a whole new found respect for you and your family! god bless and have a safe trip while over seas.

April 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. Max

Bravo! It's time for Clintons to retire... before the ugly humiliation they'll face ahead!! I am so happy! Thank you, Mr. President!

Max

April 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  8. Terrence W

This is good news. Will be better if/when he actually officially endorses OBAMA.

April 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  9. Tuoyo baltimore

the clock is ticking Hilary , end this race now so we can focus money and resources on the Republican Candidate who i believe is being underestimated!

April 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. HELP WANTED/EXPERIENCE NEEDED

Who cares? Let him cast his superdelegate for Obama. Obama will be a DO NOTHING PRESIDENT JUST LIKE HIM. WHO IS CARTER AND WHAT HAS DONE FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY? NOTHING!

HILLARY CLINTON 08

April 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. Rob, Panama City Beach - Florida

Lady in MN,
    Do the math... Who has more of the popular vote?

There are sadly only 3 reasons that I see anyone is really voting for Hillary right now...
    (1) They either liked Bill, so they want him again through her.
    (2) They are racist and still think Obama is muslim because of his middle name.
    (3) They are women and feel as if it's their duty to put all the men that have betrayed them in their lives, in their place by electing the first woman president.

I liked Bill as a president, and if he was running again I would be torn between voting for him and voting for Obama... That's the real point, if Obama can make a president of the past look not as appealing, one you thought was a good president(not a good husband), and make you hope for the future through him, than how would you not be inspired to vote for him? Obama is a new face with new ideas and a new agenda for this country. One that I believe will bring this country out of the dooms day senario that George W. Bush has crafted for us. It's neat to look at the demographics for who's voting for who.

P.S. Republicans: I moved to Florida from Nebraska... So my useless vote will now help Florida to be a blue state.

April 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  12. Franky, New York, NY

There is nothing healing about Obama. But I'm starting to believe than maybe the best thing for this country is to re-learn a lesson it thought it had learned in the past 8 years – voting for empty promises, gets no results. If there is even a shred of hope in me that Obama wins the Presidency, it's only to say,"...I told you so."

NObama in '08

April 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. Floridian

President Carter has done some amazing things in terms of negotiating peace around the world – he is not only well respected here but elsewhere around the world.

I'm glad he is supporting Obama, and I think it really means a lot for him to have said that he sees Obama as being able to heal America's relationship with the world.

A note to Hillary supporters – I respect and admire your willingness to stand by your candidate, but please remember that the important thing here is a dem victory in November, and please be willing to support whoever wins the nomination. Best of luck.

April 3, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. Frank

Wow, it is amazing how naive these folks are and how ignorant they are of the key role Carter played in creating the mess in the middle east that we are now dealing with!!! This shows you how educated our folks are when it comes down to world affairs and how doomed we are as a nation to survive in the global enterprise. Wow! Well, for what its worth, now Obama will never win!!!!

April 3, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. Allan

I wish all of the Obama supporters would tell me what has he done. All I hear is "change and We can" He is against the war as we all are but he didn't come out until it was politicaly correct. Even his spoksperson could not come up with any bills he has authered in the Senate. mostly he voted present, hardly a stand.
    Hillary has co-authored over 50 bills with Republican co-authors and has a lot of experience in foreign affairs. Only she can beat McCain in November.
    Obama will be "swwiftboated " to death. and will lost to McCain.

April 3, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. Stacy Clarks,

I LOVE IT!! GO CARTER!!!

What will the Clinton supporters say?!?! There is always a fresh new excuse after every Obama victory (caucus states don't count, little states don't count, superdelgates that support Obama do not count, only ones that support clinton, so now will ex-presidents not count?!?! SO THEM THAT WILL MEAN BILL CLINTON DOES NOT COUNT?!?!)

I LOVE IT!! OBAMA 08!!!

To all the Clinton supporters that were gracious enough to acknowledge that while they disagree with Carter, they still respect him and his decision, KUDOS TO YOU!!!! I LOVE THE CIVILIZED CLINTON SUPPORTERS!!

OBAMA 08 ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  17. Jamila. B

"My children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."............... This is not the first time a superdelegate has used their family and children as a reason to why they think Obama is a better candidate. This just confirms why our future generation is so important. Obama has the younger voters LISTENING to what going on in the world....

April 3, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. AllAmericankid, Marietta, GA

Hillary said Obama can't win........her black supporters keep trying to get white folks mad, so they can turn against Obama. Sorry guys, the only state you have a chance at is Puerto Rico. Common Hillary say what is on your mind, say it .........say "Meet me in Puert Rico" at 3.am

April 3, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. Bab-W

Young voters probably don't know enough about Carter to be influenced one way or another. But older voters, particularly older men who are currently "undecided", might be more inclined to vote for Obama because of Carter's opinion that he is the best of the two Democratic candidates.

April 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  20. Xavier of Saint Louis, MO

Smart Man! And, as soon as Camp Clinton realize that the American people don't want Hillary or Bill back in the White House and drop out of this election, then the Democratic Party can focus on John McCain.

April 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  21. Felly

No more Bush-Clinton, Bush-Clinton DYNASTY!
    Obama '08

April 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  22. DemocracyNow

Carter I always like his style as President and now as a former president endorsing Obama he is respecting the wishes of the American people .
    We Want Change Now.
    Hillary and Bill your finished gone goodbye .
    Obama 08 Yes We Can

April 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. Frank

Jimmy, I'll take your super delegate vote for Obama but please shut up about it. Go build a house and stop reminding people you are still around. Some of us haven't forgotten your 4 years in the White House.

April 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  24. Go Head Carter!

I wonder if Clinton supporters would by cynical about President Carter's endorsement had he endorse Clinton? I think NOT!

April 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. Lee WV

A Carter endorsement would not just be peanuts.Why can't Clintonites see it coming?

April 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |