April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice."

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. Kevin

Another reason not to vote for Obama, he has the backing of the worst president in U.S. history. If you think our economy is bad now, I seem to remember double digit inflation, sky high interest rates, oil shortages and very high unemployment during the Carter administration. Not something I would like to repeat.

April 3, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. Tex

President Clinton's stature has risen constantly since his years in the White House. His honesty and character are above reproach.

Neither our current Prez George nor his predecessor Bill will be so fortunate. Both have disgraced the office of the Presidency and betrayed the American people. History will be hard on both. Bill continues to disgrace himself through his rhetoric and actions campaigning for his wife. Neither or honest and neither have a character.

President Carter will be another super delegate to endorse Obama and others will follow.

April 3, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. JIM

Im not crazy about McCain,but if Obama is nominated i will go to the Republican side!Been a Democrat all my life.But a man that listened toWright does not to be our Prisident.

April 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. MJB in Decatur, GA

Say what you will about Carter's term in office, but he is a visonary (particularly as a white Southernor who grew up during Jim Crow,) a man of principle, and truly great American.

I'm proud that he, like my state, appears poised to choose CHANGE over nostalgia, UNITY over partisanship, and HOPE over fear.

By the way – take some notes on how to be a noble, dignified ex-President, Slick Willy.

April 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  5. jennym

He has accomplished so much more after he left the Presidency . Not the best president but a wonderful very intelligent human being .

April 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. Soldiergal

So, if I understand this correctly:
    1. HRC's supporters are the only "true" Democrats, but
    2. They're still willing to call a Democratic former president, and great humanitarian, the "worst president ever" whose opinion means nothing?

Enjoy your 100 years in Iraq and wise judges like Roberts and Alito, folks, because if you really do throw your vote in with McCain if/when HRC doesn't win the nomination, you can only thank yourselves.

Incidentally, if Obama supporters are supposed to be so unintelligent, why is it that the worst spelling and grammar comes from the posts of Clinton supporters?

April 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  7. AJ

I just read all of the comments from the Obamazombies. God, I dispise you people. You are one of the reasons I will NEVER support that EGO in a suit (Obama.) For 30 years, I have always supported democrats, even when I had to hold my nose in the voting booth. Not going to happen this time. I dispise Obama for being a do nothing, empty suit who is running on nothing but hubris. I dispise ALL of his supporters for just being idiots.

April 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. ms jackson

Both of these candidates are being stripped raw by each other (in equal quantity) and the media (licking Obama's wounds and throwing salt on Clinton's). Since the emerging pattern is deception from both groups I think John McCain is going to have a very easy time of it. Especially because the media's venom (and it will be spit in the eyes of McCain again and again) is beginning to lose it's strength due to obvious manipulation of the facts during this riveting soap opera of a Democratic meltdown. Thanks Jimmy, for rendering the whole thing even stranger with your coy little interview!

April 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. debra

Obama stands for change- its just that nobody knows what the hell he means by that! We had change with Bush and see what that got us! Clinton wants sweeping change too- so what is different? She has more enemies because her change is more sweeping than the change Obama suggests. His change is so middle of the road. He is trying to placate everyone. This race is over as far as the super delegates are concerned. They can't wait to support Obama due to his bringing so many new voters into the process. That is great except that we are doomed to a Tepid, mediocre president for another 4 years. Oh, I am sure he will either bring the white and blacks together- either that or they will kill each other.

April 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. gwen

For Your Information:

It is former or ex president Cinton and
    former or ex president Carter....
    They are no longer a president and should not be addressed as president.
    Thank you. Gwen

April 3, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  11. Spirit of America

Say it ain't so Jimmy! If Obama is the nominee then the Republicans won't need an October surprise to defeat him (and America) like they did with you in 1980. Why support a candidate who is guaranteed to lose in November?

April 3, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  12. rw md

Why not, hell everyone else has.
    Bill Richardson who turned his back on his own state's wishes to
    back Obama, Hillery wone New Mexico and Carter, although a nice
    and very careing man, one of the worst president's we ever had, I voted for him because he was a democrat, now I vote for the best
    thing for the country and that's certainly not Barrack Obama,
    oh, by the way, I heard his wife Michell speak last night, really
    baaaaaaaaaad.

April 3, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  13. CHERYL

OK BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!

SENATOR CLINTON LEADS IN THE POLLS!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  14. HP Boston

Now here is a politician you can be proud of!
    The people of his STATE support Omama and so does Carter.
    Nothing wrong with that picture.
    I on the other hand have changed from Dem to unenrolled, TODAY!
    As the Dem's here in MA are not who I want to support ever again!

April 3, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  15. DB, San Francisco

Jimmy Carter a vicious backstabber, too? Say it isn't so! After that lovely fruit basket Bill and Hillary sent him for Christmas? What is wrong with these people!? 😉

April 3, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  16. evey from lombard

Jimmy carter i thought you were different but youre not and i hope that when the real barack obama comes out all the judas that turn on hillary will be laughing all the way to the white house with Mccain!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. Harry Hardsparkle

So it seems like he's suggesting there's no reason to back Hillary over Obama: come on sheepies, listen to the man!

April 3, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. meme

I'm a Obama supporter and you have to face it. HIllary has given him a run.. however, if he can overcome Hillary, he will be ready for November. Hillary is good for this campaign for those who keep saying we don't know him enough. The more Hillary tries to show his vulnerability, he exhibits his strength and Hillary on the other hand exposes who she really is....

April 3, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. G.N. Penley

Who is Jimmy Carter, and who cares what he thinks or whom he endorses. His endorsement should be something to shy away from.

April 3, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  20. Patriot

That's it for me. When Carter speaks I listen. Hillary has my vote for sure. I am old enough to remember the Carter years. And I sure don't want to go back to that period.

April 3, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  21. Texas Sue

Obama will bring back respect for our country. All you nuts that says they'll vote for MCBush if Obama is selected is sad. I guess you want us to go ahead & fall into depression & having every country in the world coming after us. Because of Bush & his buddy's leadership we're toast to the rest of the world and MCBush continue our downfall. Thank you Pres.Carter for all your hard work & help thru out the world. The perfect example of a true Christian

April 3, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  22. OBAMA WON TEXAS

YES! Thank you, President Carter. The domino effect of the Super-Delegates supporting Barack Obama is beginning ...

April 3, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  23. Guy in GA

Lady in MN, your obviously a Hilary supporter. No offense but she doesnt remember not getting shot at while on a political trip over seas. All the candidates have dirty laundry. Im a democrat and will support the nominee regardless but lets be fair the math is the math and a lie is a lie.

WAKE UP LADY IN MN!!!!

April 3, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  24. Scott

Ha! That would be the kiss of death to Obama's campaign.

April 3, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. bigben

he was a terrible president

April 3, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |