April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice."

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. Awesome!

Contrary to what a few closet republicans have said... this may rank as the most telling endorsement to date. In my opinion it trumps any potential endorsement by Edwards or Gore.
    This is a man who has carried the party banner at home and abroad. This is a man who, by his deeds, is the definition of the democratic party.
    A brilliant man committed to peace, diplomacy, statesmanship and good will at home and abroad has weighed in, and it sounds like he favors the young and inexperienced phenom from Illinois.
    I am looking forward to hearing more about this endorsement.

Bless You JIMMY!

April 3, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  2. Kingssmann

another nobel prize winner on Obama's side

things are looking up for him.

Question for hillarybots

1) how can she unite the country when she can't even unite her party to stand with her?

April 3, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  3. William

Jimmy Carter was one of this country's best presidents. Some people make fun of him but he accurately predicted what would happen to this country if it didn't start investing in alternative energy sources. Reagan came in and systematically dismantled every tax incentive Carter created to do just that. No president since has made energy any kind of priority except for using the military to protect overseas investments.

People would do well to listen to Carter. He is an intelligent man.

April 3, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  4. Tim

Great news!!!! Obama 08. You are all childish. All you people on both sides saying that you will take your ball and go home if your person is not selected, need to grow up. You obviously haven't been paying attention to the record voter registrations this year. You will easily be replaced and not missed. So take the two friends that agree with you and don't let the door hit you. The party will be united with ir without you.

April 3, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  5. Donna HJ...

well, that souds for me, that Out taxes will go sky high, just like, when Mr.Carter was OUR President. Is this, why We Americans need, just wait, and You will see what happend. All those people who are supporting Obama, are for HI Taxes",, I can bet ON THIS!!!
    16% intrested on loans when Mr. Carter was Our President??? , will be just start!!!. Obama is the most liberal , as I ever seen, remines me Comunist time in Eastern Europe, Is that ,what We want!!!??? Wake up Americans!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  6. Dan, Maryland

Obama/Carter: Liberal twin powers, activate!
    Obama: Form of... higher taxes!
    Carer: Form of... malaise

April 3, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. Dan, Maryland

Obama/Carter: Liberal twin powers, activate!
    Obama: Form of… higher taxes!
    Carter: Form of… malaise

April 3, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. Smart & Educated Woman

If Hillary somehow pulls off the democratic nomination, it will ruin the chances of any woman becoming president of the U.S. for years to come. I would love to have a woman president, but she has to be principled, trustworthy and ethical. Hillary is none of these things. I am ashamed of the states and delegates she has won because it speaks of the intelligence or lack thereof of our nation.

Barack Obama is the most intelligent, ethical and principled person (black or white, man or woman) who has run for the presidency that I have ever seen or heard about in the last 50 years.

McCain is a military hero. That is all he is and all he will ever be–unless, of course, Hillary supporters decide that if she doesn't get the dem nomination, than they will vote for McCain. If anyone switches from supporting Hillary to voting for McCain, you should be ashamed of yourself and move to a country more befitting your mentality like North Korea.

April 3, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. eric

another great endorsement from another great president.

Obama 08

April 3, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Another clarification to us all of the U.S. socialist's movement reach into the Democratic Party of America today.

Jimmy Carter is a great humanitarian–but his viewpoint of government as a social services and welfare entity is wrong.

The taxpaying citizens should not be mandated to bear the burden of idiotic and extraordinary increases in entitlements and financial bail outs. Where's their voice?

Conservatives of all stripes–need to make their presence known.

April 3, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  11. Michelle

Lady in MN

1) You ARE aware Hillary ran her WHOLE senate campaign in NY asking for Rick Lazio's tax returns ? LOL .. NO? I didn't think so .

Wright .. yeah as opposed to the endless clips of Hillary lying about Bosnia .. lmao At least it was his PASTOR who said crazy things, not the actual candidate as with Hillary .

You have no idea who will win what in NOV. Polls in April don't mean much for an election in NOV .

Such Anger ! You belong with Hillary .. the screaming bipolar candidate .. lol

April 3, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. David Cunard

Robert Bauer is incorrect – superdelegates are not obliged to 'represent the will of the people', but to decide who is the more electable of the candidates. And this year, it isn't a man.

April 3, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Janet

Who cares, Carter was the worst President we ever had. No one
    respects his opinion. Then same is going to be for Obama.

April 3, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. NO OBAMA

what a surprise!!! Birds of a feather, flock together! The worst President of the 20th Century and now the worst candidate (and possible President) of the 21st Century. Keep racking up those past winners there Obama.

Go Hillary in 2008

April 3, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  15. Bayou Joe

One more world view politician drinks from the Kool Aid of Obama.
    This peanut farmer is as Niave as the candidate he is leaning towards. The Islamic World doesn't give a crap about Americans and Freedom for their people. They want to enslave us all under the umbrella of Islam. Wake Up America. Thank God we still have guns in our homes. This is what the founding fathers were worrried about when they put in the 2nd amendment to the constitution.

April 3, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  16. Theresa

Obama 08 for President of the United State, go home hillary

April 3, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  17. Jack Robertson

Perhaps now Hillary will be able to read the writing on the wall. It's over, Mrs. Clinton. No more crocodile tears, please. Just pack up your tent and go home.

April 3, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  18. yael

Oh please don't let one of my greatest American heroes, one of the role models I set up for my children, come out now and use his influence to sway voters towards a nominee that is such a masterful politician in the tactics of division and exploiting fears of scarcity. Please let Jimmy Carter continue to deliberate on his vote.

April 3, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  19. Lady in Ohio

I'm a Democrat, but if Hillary loses to Obama, I'm voting for McCain!

April 3, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  20. Greg

I have always stood up for Jimmy Carter for years no matter what people said, I no longer have respect for him, Jimmy are you sure.

April 3, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  21. Obadamu

The other thing some people keep forgetting is that Obama was more than 30 points behind Billary just a few months ago. Billary thought this thing would be over after Super Tuesday. They are as shell shocked as are their supporters! And the truth is Hillary wouldn't have made this far in this nomination process if it were not for Bill. I mean 90% of all her supporters said they would have voted for Bill if he were a candidate. Hilary said you dont choose your fmaily but you can choose your paster. Now, why did she decide to stick with Bill despite all his womanizing? Why? I think we know the answer-her political ambitions. America Hillary's out to fulfill her own selfish ambitions! She doesnt fathom that fierce urgency of now as does Obama! Oh! Obama has buid himself from zero . I am proud of this guy and I am sure many Americans are!

April 3, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  22. Sasha

Grif,

Have you followed Jimmy Carter over the years? He has not failed! He is one of the most caring human beings on this earth.........What the hell is wrong with you Clinton supporters? Jimmy Carter is irrelevent right? Give me a break! He and his family do enormous good for this entire world.............

April 3, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  23. Dale Wise

Doesn't matter....I'm sure Clinton will inform us that Carter isn't one of the 'important' superdelegates.

April 3, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  24. citizen too

The will of the people. I am also a part of the people, and my will-wish is not Obama.
    Can Obamistas stop acting like he is only one in the world to be considered for a president? Can they stop forcing others, and calling other people names because they are not for their idol?

It is not given, it is not mandatory, it is not written in stars that Obama is the one. He is not. He has way too many flaws. As of now I do not think any of those 3 is the one. We need someone else. Someone who is not racist at all, someone who has the wisdom, the smartness, the intelligence, the experience, the power and ability to lead well.

April 3, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  25. reggymack

I just can't understand why some of you think that Hillary can win agianst McCain instead of Obama. The bottom line is this. If she can't win against Obama what makes you think that she can win against McCain. Those of you who have desided to vote for McCain if Obama wins are just a bunch of cry babies/ born losers.

April 3, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |