April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. No Hillary

Time for Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton to follwo Carter's footsteps and endorse Obama!

April 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. John

Way to go Mr. Carter, keep up the good work that you have accomplished throughout world.
    Obama, 08

April 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. Ryan from New Mexico

Just hurry and come out with your Endorsement you weirdo, before you forget that you ever had to make and endorsement ya OLD GUY

April 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Texas

no matter what kind of president carter was, the true point is only.....

carter=superdelegate

ask the clinton's if the care about any endorsements at this time – it's not about the endorsement – its about the vote

he's gaining them and she's not....

April 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. B bush

Great......President Jimmy Carter....the last former president who was honest and loyal to his family and country.

That speaks volume... period....

April 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. evelyn

What does it matter, you ask?? Listen to the voters, you say?? Well, it matters a lot. Otherwise, Bill would not be in California blowing a gasket over Bill Richardson's support for Obama. And he (Richardson) is not even a past president with the clout that President Carter has. And yes, it is a single vote. A single SUPER DELEGATE vote. So it does matter and it does count. It counts for a lot.

Say Buh Bye Hill and Bill.

BTW, the tax returns count because of what they would reveal. And right now, they reveal another failed promise.

April 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. Joe

Game over. Gore's next.

April 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  8. don

I wonder if President Clinton will blow up at him like he did Bill Richardson for supporting Obama?

April 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  9. I'm Almost Convinced....

I'm almost convinced Obama might be the ticket. Last week I was a Hillary supporter. I'll know for sure by the 22nd.

April 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  10. North of the Border

As an outsider to the United States I have found the debate quite interesting the that wages in during this primary contest. No matter what you will say about either candidate it has definitely re-energized the interest in American politics which is a good thing. And I think that it is natural for the American people to desire change after 20 some years of the same names on the election ballots. I notice that Obama has taken alot of critique for his lack of "experience" but no one seems to acknowledge that the presidency is an amalgam of several key advisors, cabinet members, etc. not just one person. And on HRC's experience, what experience does she have? Does this mean that Barbara Bush could enter a presidental contest because she was the former first lady? I understand HRC is a senator but she really hasn't performed that function for long and it's pretty obvious that she was catipulted into that district for a "sure win". But lastly, how come no one talks about "Whitewater scandral" that should really be the nail in her coffin....

April 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. Mike, Land O Lakes, FL

He has won more states, more delegates and more popular votes and now he is catching up on her on Superdelegates count. Its about time for the us to unite and support the people's choice and prevent Bush's thrid term on the form of McBush.

April 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  12. wwf

One last time. How many of you who keep bringing up Wright have read to the whole sermon? Not too many I bet. A lot of people I have talked to said the while his choice of words was wrong he was only telling the truth. That is one thing many Americans have trouble dealing with. The truth. Or should I say they are more interested in being politically correct. Oh, for the record, my friends and I are white. Not all are behind Obama yet, but not because of the rev.

April 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. John, NJ

Your Turn James Carville!!!

Tell Hillary That It's Over!!!!!

Let's see you try and get tough with The Pres!!!

April 3, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  14. FLDude

I'm a supperdelegate. What's for dinner?

April 3, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  15. Joe Black

"All I hear you whine right now is “What about her tax returns”….”where are her tax returns. Its a fair point, but please explain to me what could be possibly near as damaging in them, as compared to having Wright as your pastor (not pasture Obamabot) for 20 years"

According to Senate disclosure documents, Hillary made 12 Million dollars last year, on a $150,000 sentator's salary. Bill made 20 Million. We do not know WHERE this money came from as the Senate only requires disclosure of amounts, not sources.

Obama made 1.5 million, mostly from book royalties. He has disclosed his tax returns.

Many people want to know how Bill and Hillary are raking in tens of millions of dollars. Bill is getting a LOT of money from overseas (Arab world, China, etc.)

Of course, this would NOT influence Hillary in any way, right?

Right?

April 3, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. Tom

Who cares what he thinks? He does a wonderful job with communtiy service, let him keeps his inept political views to himself.

April 3, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. Andy

"Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice.""

In other words, the Clintons already had Carter in the Obama column.

April 3, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. Elizabeth

It is sad that so many of Sen. Clinton's supporters are just like her and her husband: meanspirited, divisive bullies. All they care about is winning. President Carter cares about the future of all people. Both he and Sen. Obama understand that all of us must live together on this planet. Both of them have showed amazing grace under pressure. We would all be wise to follow their lead.

April 3, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  19. I really hope

I hope that Hillary does not ask her supporters to back up Obama, because that is one thing I could not do. I know HIllary's love is politics and it has been her life, but after the huge snub she has gotten from the democratic party I hope she considers dropping them. She could become an Indpenedent or even do something else other than politices. She is a brilliant woman and she could do just about anything. If she does not get to be the nominee, I would definitely vote for McCain. I will not just stay home, I will cast my vote.

Carter and all the rest who think Obama will draw us to his side are very, very mistaken. Obama cannot fool everybody. The general election will prove that. To bad though, because Hillary would make a "great President".

April 3, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  20. Norm

MoveOn.org.....Jane Fonda and now Hamas' favorite Georgian Jimmy Carter.All those Republicans are literally trampling each other to join them on the Obamawagon. Rightttttttttttttttttttt

April 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  21. michael

It is amazing to see the power grip the Clintons have on the democrats. Most delegates are afraid to go to the other side without risking their reputation been soiled. Am sure Bill Clinton is also considering switching sides but he wount have a place to stay.

April 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. Paul

The Obama superdelegate machine is ringing off the hook while the Clinton machine is collecting dust. Prediction: 3 weeks and Obama leads Clinton in superdelegates.

April 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. OBAMA!!!

Lady in MN: i am appalled that you continue to think that having Wright is a pastor is as damagin as in what will be in the Clintons Tax Returns. Shoddy arguement, sounds as if you are grasping at straws to plead the case for Hillary.

April 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  24. Mack

Carter has not endorsed Obama yet. Calm Down.

April 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. Matthew

Then I guess Carter and the Rev. Wright can join forces in their anti-Israel diatribes.

April 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |