April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice."

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. Public eye

Oh snap and double-snap! President Carter. It just keeps getting better for Obama! God bless you Jimmy, and thank you for supporting Barack Obama. With your help Obama will win, yes we can! Now, let's see some more Obama love on the blogs, the victory party has started.

April 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  2. Norisha

YOU can't stop him!

I love it!!!

President OBAMA!!!!

April 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  3. Sasha

Bean Burrito,

I am sure the Carter Foundation is dependent on your donations.........that is absurd and ignorant!

April 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. Anybody but McCain

I have always thought that President Carter was a kind, thoughtful person, as well as a good president. I'm surprised that he endorsed Obama. I would wish to see him say why Obama would be a healing factor in this country.
    If the healing factor is that african americans will now have a representative as president for the first time, well then I agree with him on that.
    However, where else is he a healing factor?
    I can see how minority people around the world would be happy to see the most powerful country in the world have a minority president. That also is a good thing.
    What about race would be a unifying force if Obama is elected president? I don't see that.
    Obama is still receiving great support from the powers that be and want to remain the same such as oil companies, lobby people, and people who have endorsed Obama, most of them are not for the the kind of future that Obama is vaguely saying with his hope for the future rhetoric.
    I'm voting for Hillary myself. I care about the racial problems in this country and around the world just like people who vote for Obama say they do. I just believe that Hillary is the ticket for change and progress for people like me and people of color and the average american. I do not see this even close as clearly in Obama's stance, actions, or talk.

April 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. Didi47

I adore Carter, but if he backs Obama – a non vetted questionable candidate – then he loses my respect, big time.

April 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  6. Jen DFW

One things for sure the dems can't win with just Obama...she has about 50% of the party so he cannot run without her....

April 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  7. rw md

Something a lot of people don't know is that there was a book printed
    year's ago somewhere in Europe that said that the only 2 American
    President's that never cheated on there wive's were Jimmy Carter
    and Harry S Truman.

April 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  8. lopez

Wow! Unbelievably good news!

April 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. AntiBrenda

Listen to the wise men like Jimmy and you will not go wrong.
    The likes of Lisa, Emma, DF, Charlotte ... i have nothing but sympathy for you. Been Buritto you are just that... a bean boritto.

See you all at Obama's innauguration!!!!!!!!!

April 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. GARTH

Way to go President Carter!!! Please do the actual endorsement soon. Sen. Obama will be honoured to have your endorsement I'm sure.

JUSTIN: This is for you. I don't know how the other supporters feel, but, I don't think you can really say that the VOTERS matter to Sen. Clinton, for crying out loud, don't you know an insult when you hear one.

THE VOTERS MATTER SO MUCH TO SEN.CLINTON THAT SHE IS WILLING TO BOWL FOR PA's VOTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ISN'T THAT AN INSULT TO THE VOTERS?

April 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. Not much news today?

Another big name Democrat is backing Obama? No news here; no one with any decent reputation wants to align themselves with the lies, secrecy and division that has become the Clinton campaign.

April 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  12. Alonzo Demetrius

The Dems will all be wondering what happened after Obama and his crew take all your money to "give you" everything they think you need. Just imagine, the government will provide all the alcohol, drugs and hookers you want after ultra-liberals get into power. Make your long lists of wants now and give them to Obama and you'll probably get it all for Kwanzi but the disappointment will be that you will be poorer, not the rich will be poorer.

April 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. Sharon

Seems fitting, if elected, Obama will have a failed democratic presidency just like Carter.........Anyone realize the ONLY successful DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENCY in the last several DECADES has been BILL CLINTONS????? Far left liberals cannot survive the republicans.....Clintons can.....proven in polls today....

April 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. Geoff Stark

I laugh at the fools who think Carter was the worst president ever. I can think of another who best fits that description. Oh, and Obama will lose the White House if he is nominated.

April 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  15. kelly WI

I remember the Carter years. And you think its bad now?!
    Obamas agenda and policy postition is worse than his.
    Carter is still a flake.
    Obama will give some money to Hillary to pay her debts for the trade off of getting out.
    have you noticed the gas prices since the dems took over the congress.??? Be pared. This is nothing compared to what it will be.
    Did you see what Obama promised WY for the Supers vote?
    Neither one of those ultra liberals should win the GE. If they did I don't want to hear any whining when they start picking your pocket.
    McCain 08

April 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  16. Willis

Jimmy is WISE!

April 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  17. rana karimi

no surprize another lose backs obama

April 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  18. Jim

Who cares what this wheezy old fossil thinks? Besides, if you consider the phrase "it takes one to know one", why would anyone listen to him opine on who the best President would be? He's not qualified to judge!

April 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  19. OBAMA GO HOME!

Blah blah blah.

NObama sucks. Hes an ex drug addict, who hates white people and America. The only reason he is in the position he is in is because hes BLACK. Thats all. A white man with his credentials would have been laughed off the stage months ago.

I am ASHAMED to be a DEMOCRAT. This is enough to make me consider switching party's.

GO CLINTON! GO MCCAIN..anyone but OBAMA.

April 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  20. Sasha

Justin,

Obama leads by 700,000+ popular votes...............

April 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  21. Joseph Adewole

May you live long Papa; only Obama can unite, not only the Dems, but Americans as a whole.

April 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. Carrie PA

President Carter is a great humanitarian. He has done more for the poor, unselfishly, then any other past president. It is a good endorsement for Obama.

April 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  23. Me

No way Obama is winning in November. Me and all of my friends are going to vote for McCain if Obama steals the election from Hillary

April 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. wycliffe

Hillary, Greatest lose in a race is not losing but accepting the lose.

April 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. Ron, TX

I was waiting for the second half of Wolfson's comment: "Carter is a great president, we really respect whatever choice he makes, but after all, he is just a cranky old souther president who capitalized on the peanut industry to take advantage of the working Americans Hillary Clinton will do everything possible to save!"

April 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |