April 3rd, 2008

Carter hints at supporting Obama

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

Carter hinted Wednesday he'd likely support Obama.

(CNN) - Former President Jimmy Carter all but said Wednesday he plans to cast his superdelegate vote for Barack Obama.

Speaking with a Nigerian paper while in Abuja, Carter noted several reasons why he might be leaning toward the Illinois senator.

"Don’t forget that Obama won in my state of Georgia," Carter said. "My town, which is home to 625 people, is for Obama, my children and their spouses are pro-Obama. My grandchildren are also pro-Obama."

"As a superdelegate, I would not disclose who I am rooting for but I leave you to make that guess," Carter added.

The Carter Center confirmed to CNN the newspaper did quote Carter accurately.

Responding to the comments, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said Thursday, "Both Senator Clinton and President Clinton have a great deal of respect for President Carter and have enjoyed their relationship with him over the years, and obviously he is free to make whatever decision he thinks is appropriate with regard to presidential choice."

Wolfson also acknowledged "people will be interested in the choice that he makes."

Carter's remarks are the latest from the former president that suggest he is backing Obama over rival Hillary Clinton, although he has made no official endorsement. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal in January, Carter said Obama's campaign has been "extraordinary and titillating for me and my family."

He also said then that Obama "will be almost automatically a healing factor in the animosity now that exists, that relates to our country and its government."

Related: Watch Brian Todd's analysis of Carter hinting at supporting Obama

- CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Jimmy Carter
  1. karen

This is why Carter was a one term President. He never did show very good judgement.

April 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. Jazz

Yet another from the "because he's a black man and was oppressed"
    club. Watch them force the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court to
    allow Rev Wright to administer the oath of office.
    Hillary's TOO LEGIT to QUIT!

April 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. Charlotte

If, big if, Obama should win in Nivember are we ready to go to Africa with our troops? Maybe that is why he wants them out of Iraq. I am also not ready for reparations to become a topic again. Carter is a good man and I respect his out of office efforts. I also hope the people of America will vote for the best person to serve this great nation. I don't believe that person is Obama.

April 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Dan G.

It takes one to know one.

April 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  5. F, MPLS

To all angry and emotional Clinton supporters, if you are going to be mad at anyone, if infact your candidate looses, pls point your frustrations at your candidate. She and only she is to blame for her current predicament. Not the media or anyone else for that matter. She had everything, the Clinton name, the financial resources, the establishement and she didnt use it to her advantage. Simple as that. Facts are facts..... Think it thru... In my opinion she failed the commander in chief test.

April 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  6. Dylan

Jimmy Carter is a great American, and he's made a great choice for President.

April 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  7. Raum

Anyone with half a brain, and a heart for America would support Obama.

Thanks, Mr. Carter

April 3, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  8. Sensible Cape Coral Fl

I think Jimmy Carter is one of our most underestimated Presidents. Hopefully time will prove me right.

April 3, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  9. Dylan

Lady in MN...

I will not dignify your questions with answers. Grow up.

April 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  10. anne in wisconsin

I respect former President Jimmy Carter. He was a good man & a much better Pres than the one we have now. However, he wasn't the strongest President and I am not sure his endorsement is a good thing for Obama since I have heard sooo many Dems say "Obama is gonna be another Jimmy Carter"...meaning he lacks experience and the "fighting" strength to stand tough and get things done.

April 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. Jose go home

Jose the repercussions are that the legal people have voted.......so what the problem........intelligence comes in all forms ......even if you and your people don't understand it..........but really what do you guys understand........exploiting the system and then being to good for your own

April 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. Jill

I think Carter's support of Obama very much goes along with his philosophy. Along the same vein...I don't understand how Hil continues to insist that she has a greater chance of winning than Obama–especially since every Republican I know wants her to win the nomination in order to up McCain's chances of winning in November.

April 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. Jen

WHO CARES ABOUT HIM? WE LOVE THE CLINTONS! WE LOVE HILLARY!!

April 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. SaneTexan

So...Obama will still lose the general election and be remembered as John Kerry is in 4 years.

April 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. Debbie Raleigh NC

I really believe in my heart that OBAMA can and will change our
    nation for the better. I just wish we could deport the clintons and
    so our country could have a FRESH NEW START.......

AMEN

April 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  16. Pete

Carter has always had the courage of his conviction. I respect that.
    His efforts for Habitat for Humanity speak for themselves. If he supports Obama, that's good enough for this liberal.

Any Democrat in 2008!

April 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. Phil in KC

The blogs have gotten so predictable. A super delegate comes out for someone. Those he sides with talk about what a great guy he is, how smart he is, etc. The other side just throws rocks at him. There were one or two exceptions, but that's the general gist of this one and all the previous ones. It would be nice to see someone give a thoughtful response sometime.
    BTW – to all those Hillary supporters who castigated Richardson because he supported Obama when his home state supported Hillary, you got what you asked for on this one. Carter's going with the candidate his state supported. I don't think you have grounds for complaint.

April 3, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  18. Roger

Jimmy Carter is very much in tune to the needs of the World, and what the United States needs to be to be a responsible World citizen. Bush has countlessly shown that he is not a responsible World citizen. McCain is ready to maintain the misbehavior. Clinton is more in this for herself, not for the United States or the World. It is is time for a change, not just for the United States but also for how we interact with the World. Thank you Mr. Carter for being being such a wonderful advocate for peace and responsibility in the World.

April 3, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  19. Ron

Carter for O'Bama. Most O'Bama supporters will not remember the Carter years, Economic disaster! Stagflation. Mortgage rates 13-18% .
    Who needs Carter on their side? With friends like that.....

April 3, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. optimistic

lady in mn, obama is a better human being than hillary. we need a great human being to repair our damaged state

April 3, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  21. dg

Carter was a great president ? Hillary 08

April 3, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  22. Deb

Makes you wonder why he didn't just say he's supporting OBAMA. I think it's because he isn't. This is another CNN spin.

April 3, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  23. Ron R

OK now let's see the Clinton's spin this one. Goodbye Hillary, save some face so your re-election to the senate is not in jeopary!

April 3, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  24. Jamey Columbus

Didnt carter already say he was supporting John Mccain? I guess supporting Obama is the samthing.

April 3, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  25. felo

You are very welcome to the movement. Thank you very much.

April 3, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |